Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
Top Dog

Default English Springers

I know that English Springers were bred for springing/flushing gamebirds but the bench variety - are they still really birdy? I have two birds - who will never be out of their cages when the dog is around but I don't want to have to keep them locked away in a bedroom in their cages too. About how much exercise does one recommend for ESS? like are they as intense as an Aussie or BC or are they just really a bigger slightly amped up Cocker? Some places I've read about them basically make them sound like they need hours and hours of daily exercise or they will go neurotic.

I like Spaniels personality in general. I like the tail wagging Velcro dogs. I like Cockers in personality but I want a slightly bigger dog - a little more hardy and with less health issues. I want a dog that gets along well with people, other animals and can be okay with relaxing at home or will be ok if we go camping, or out on the boat (maybe even swim!). I don't mind throwing a ball around, or horseplay or taking long walks.
If I were to go to a breeder when I/we are ready, how likely are we to be able to request that our pup's tail not be docked? Like are quality breeders of ESS willing to do that? I know some Breeders may refuse to do that if the breed is shown with a docked tail.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler
Old 03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm All Ears

Have you looked into Welsh Springers? I have really enjoyed the ones I've met and they've all been substantially calmer than the ESS I've met.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:37 PM
Top Dog

They really aren't that high energy, they need reasonable exercise, but not extreme.

You could look at Field Spaniels, too.
Old 03-22-2013, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

I would say not more energetic than other popular sporting breeds, like other spaniels or a retriever. I'm not too sure about bird-prey-drive...most seem pretty good with other small animals (cats, guinea pigs, etc.) when supervised. I would think there may be a difference between a field/working bred Springer and one more bred towards companionship and showing.

If the dog is only to be a pet, not a working/confo dog, many breeders will leave the tail natural upon request...but it's an individual thing.

One thing I've noticed...springer spaniels are quite a bit more wary of strangers than cockers. I don't know a single springer that is comfortable with someone they first meet touching them or petting them, they definitely take a while to warm up to people. Socialization needs to be taken pretty seriously to avoid a nervous or nippy dog, and if you want a dog to take to parties or be a therapy dog, the average springer is probably not for you.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-22-2013, 07:14 PM
Kung Pow Fish

what about an english cocker? bigger than americans, more stable, less bitey
Old 03-23-2013, 07:34 AM
Top Dog

Milos_mommy thanks for giving a comparison. That makes me feel better! I don't mind if they are wary of strangers until they warm up to them. I'm not going to be doing any pet therapy or anything like that. Just looking for a pet/companion dog. I don't mind extra socialization. There are groups in this area that get together for dog and Hunan socialization or pack walks etc.

I like English Cockers but they are extremely rare where I am. There are actually two ESS breeders within 30 minutes North and South of me. I'm afraid rarity goes for Field Spaniels too. Laurelin, no I haven't looked into Welsh Springers but will read up on them.

The great pleasure of a dog is that you may make a fool of yourself with him and not only will he not scold you, but he will make a fool of himself too." - Samuel Butler