Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-20-2013, 09:52 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Meeting breeds

I was just wondering if I am crazy or if anyone else has experienced this?

Do you ever meet breeds in person that you think sound like a great fit for you only to decide... They're really not a good fit? Or the opposite where you have zero interest in a breed until you meet several?

One for me is tollers. On paper they sound perfect (honestly they are one of the bet sounding breeds for me) for me but in real life I just don't get the same feeling. I like them still but I just can't see myself ever owning one. I can't even put my finger on why they don't quite fit. At first I thought it was just the one I've met but I've since then met several and none were really my kind of dog. Bummer. I wonder if I'm just really not a retriever person.

On the opposite end I've LOVED all the card is I've met. Never been a breed I'd consider and still not likely to own one. But they're just fun dogs. And another lately has been pumis. Not a breed I care for the look of much but I really really like the ones I've met. Very neat dogs.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Jelly baby?

I was never really interested in collies. I had only met one or two and they never seemed like anything special. Then Logan came, and when him, his breeder's dogs, and his breeder's friends' dogs, i was IN LOVE. I never, never had said "I want a collie some day." Ever. But now I'm sure I will always have at least one.

I think Koolies sound like a perfect fit for me, but I really, REALLY want to meet several before I actually commit to one.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 03-20-2013, 10:17 AM
Blonde Raccoon

I was never really crazy about Samoyeds until I met the ones we have at work. All of them are really nice dogs and for some reason we just 'click.' I'm sure I'll own one someday way down the line.

paris & seamus o'grady.

r.i.p. sally, never forgotten.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

I'm glad you finally met some! LOL, when I met a bunch I said "yes I need one please".

I usually don't want a breed until I've met them. I never wanted a German Shepherd until I worked with a couple, and I'd consider one someday. I've considered Aussies and I've met Keechak's and like them, but they're close enough to Tollers I would just... get another Toller and teach it to herd.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm All Ears

Ack I apologize for phone typos in the op. I promise my spelling hasn't gotten atrocious, I just finally got a smartphone.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:20 AM
I'm All Ears

Aussies are one I've waivered on. Initially I loved them then met some and thought 'no way'. Then I met MORE of a more working type dog and loved them again. Lol. Line matters, I suppose.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Aussies are one I've waivered on. Initially I loved hem then met some and thought 'no way'. Then I met MORE of a more working type dog and loved them again. Lol. Line matters, I suppose.
Totally does! I'm the same way on aussies. I think they are gorgeous and great dogs, but they don't really have that edge I want. Until I met my co-worker's working bred aussie. That boy rivals/is faster than the fastest BC's we have trialing. I may be in love with him, but man he is a lot of dog.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I was just wondering if I am crazy or if anyone else has experienced this?

Do you ever meet breeds in person that you think sound like a great fit for you only to decide... They're really not a good fit? Or the opposite where you have zero interest in a breed until you meet several?

One for me is tollers. On paper they sound perfect (honestly they are one of the bet sounding breeds for me) for me but in real life I just don't get the same feeling. I like them still but I just can't see myself ever owning one. I can't even put my finger on why they don't quite fit. At first I thought it was just the one I've met but I've since then met several and none were really my kind of dog. Bummer. I wonder if I'm just really not a retriever person.

On the opposite end I've LOVED all the card is I've met. Never been a breed I'd consider and still not likely to own one. But they're just fun dogs. And another lately has been pumis. Not a breed I care for the look of much but I really really like the ones I've met. Very neat dogs.
Yes! Pyrsheps were this for me. That and talking to the main breeder of them. I thought they were perfect, loved the idea of them, loved certain ones but chose to block out the rest. Met a few and talked to the breeder who snapped me back to reality and now know that they are so not the right fit for me at this time in my life. Maybe in the future though.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Yes! Pyrsheps were this for me. That and talking to the main breeder of them. I thought they were perfect, loved the idea of them, loved certain ones but chose to block out the rest. Met a few and talked to the breeder who snapped me back to reality and now know that they are so not the right fit for me at this time in my life. Maybe in the future though.
I've been talking with some pyr shep breeders and am getting some good feed back. The more I meet and the more breeders and handlers I talk to the more I want one. I have a phone call with one of my favorite breeders this weekend. I'm a little nervous!
Old 03-20-2013, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

It's not just you! I've been frequently told that Australian Shepherds would be a great fit for me, but I've met enough to know that they generally aren't. They have a certain quality that I had never been able to put my finger on, until I heard the term "bouncy" on Chaz. That said, I'd gladly make an exception for Journey, Merlin, Hawkeye, or Cohen. I'm already in love with them so they don't count

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm still up in the air about whippets, I love them and I think they'd suit me down the road but they're fragile and my dogs are dumb jerks, I see friends with well bred sport whippets and their wounds (breaks and deep gashes) are nasty and probably very expensive.
...crap. Now I'm worried. I'd really like to have a whippet along with GSDs, but forgot to consider how fragile they are.