Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-13-2013, 05:45 PM
Agility freak!

Default Working towards a BH?

So today I went to see Simi's breeder about some inner pack issues and such we've been having, and just to have a general visit and talk about Simi and how's she's progressing, and her breeder is strongly encouraging me to work towards a BH with her. I still have to do some research about a BH and what it entails, but I know a few dogs here have at least that so was hoping someone could share some input about what it is, how hard it is to train towards it, etc..

Thanks!

Zoey - Mini Aussie / Psyche - Border Collie / Simi - GSD
Forever Missed Bella - GSD [03-11-07 - 09-17-10]
Going For 'Good Dog!' Blog
Old 03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

How hard is it? Depends on what you're comparing it to

I don't think it's terribly difficult, it's work, but not hard. It's a basic heeling pattern, some right turns, left turns, about turn, change of speeds, figure 8 thru a group, sit and down in motion and recall. Then there's a basic temperament test with a biker, jogger and vehicle and the handler goes out of sight while your dog is on a tie out with another dog being walked by.

That's pretty much it. There's a pattern of heeling drawn out somewhere on the interent i'm sure, where? That i'm not sure of Oh, and the OB part used to be done on and offleash, but I heard rumblings of that changing. Not sure if it has or not for this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Agility freak!

She likely won't be ready to do it this year, anyway, so hopefully it changes the on and off leash thing next year. LOL! I just went and read what it's about... I think it'll take some work, but I am hoping we can work towards it!

Old 03-13-2013, 06:04 PM
Bite me.

Still on and off leash. Some changes in the sit and down, it is now only 15 paces after the sit in motion. BH has a required stop for exercises out of motion, but you will not fail if you don't do it.

Here is the basic heeling pattern-

Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Agility freak!

I was reading from this site: http://www.kaltersberg.com/Obedience.htm

Not sure how accurate that is, but it at least gives me an idea.

For those of you who have had dogs earn their BH, how long did it take you to train for it? Did it take several attempts to pass it?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

I don't know exactly how long, i've done it with some dogs mine, some not, some I trained, some just polished. I usually don't do a Bh until i"m ready to move right into the schutzhund titles, so they're past ready when I do it. Consequently i've never had to do it more than once either. But thanks, now I just jinxed myself. I'm destined to have another "my dog has never done that before" moment at my next BH I'm blaming this thread.

anyway, I'd think if you were halfway serious about it, if your dog is of the age requirement (16 months i think? I don't know dont' quote me) I think over a summer you should have no problem getting one done.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
Agility freak!

She's 17 months now, so should be okay for age. I'm not sure if I'll even attempt it this year, but we'll see how all of her training goes. I just know I am happy to have something to work towards with her. Agility is kind of on the back burner for her right now, so I am glad to have a path to start on now. I also really feel like some of the issues that are holding us back from agility will be helped by working towards and getting, eventually, her BH.

Old 03-14-2013, 11:50 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Backup failed. <SOB>

lol I did however push him to trial before he was socially mature and I lost him in a really extreme group (jogging in place with exercise video high knee kicks).

He also does better in BH than CD though because we can stretch out and gain distance from environmental stresses. I did a bit better as far as ring nerves, not waiting for a command to be called prevented a bit of the stumbling and tearful panic that I was turning the wrong way when someone said right turn. Plus you can whisper to your dog more easily in a BH because the judge is rarely on your heels with ears perked for double command point deductions.

On the flip side some people have more trouble with the distance, it's easier to lose a lower drive/more environmentally stimulated dog, it's also frustrating for some to have to count their steps and remember them. Also the recall is longer which for some can be better and for some be worse.

The benefit is you don't have a stand for exam but there is a down in motion and long down is longer and more distracting.

For me the training isn't the hard part nor the defining aspect of difference, for me and my dog it's the environment for better or worse.

We'll go again for our BH this summer and I am pretty sure we're ready. We have all of the technical aspects down pat but the stress of being judged wears on me and my dog is extremely susceptible to that, he's overcome a lot of his quirky distrust with strangers and ignores them primarily but who knows? He'd never, ever even flicked an ear in a long down before his BH and although he didn't break he crawled several feet to investigate a sexy doberbitches scent spot.

Sloan passed on the first try without an issue, she trudged through it though and I assume with age she could have been flashier. She's not a super flashy dog but she was pretty flat and bored. She'll ideally go for her 1 at the end of the year if we can ever get blinds and an AFrame for practice.

FWIW I can totally understand using a BH as a measuring stick without plans for going further. For one gal we train with she can't do UKC not AKC with an intact unregisterable breed so a BH is a great way to test their obedience without making sacrifices.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

BH is longer than the CD, additionally.

You enter, the dog must allow being tattoo checked or microchip checked (which, for no-touch dogs is an exercise in obedience).

It then must greet the judge in heel, without reaction side by side with another handler and dog team.

It then begins a long down while the other dog does its obed routine, or vice versa, and this can be as short as 7 minutes or as long as 20. The dog is downed and you must walk away and turn your back. The other dog then begins the routine. It heels out and back 50 with speed changes on the way back, fast, slow, normal. Then a right turn for 7 and a right turn for 15, about turn and 7 in with a pause and auto sit, 7 back then into the group. The dog must heel around 4 strangers "milling" around and this can be from barely swaying to jumping up and down (that was the extreme we got). Then the dog and handler repeat the heeling off leash starting with the group.

Then the dog does its heel out 15, sit in motion, handler goes out, returns and picks up the dog. Out again 15, down in motion, 30 out, turn and recall to front before finish.

Then the two dogs switch spots and one is in a long down while the other heels.

After this they do the traffic test, dog must handle a large crowd passing and pressuring space, then they must loose walk past a bike ringing its bell.

I think that was it, super loosely.

A bit more than a CGC.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgilityPup View Post
. The heeling pattern will not be our issue. Our issue will likely be the long down, and then the bikers, joggers, etc..
This is exactly what many forget, when you have a sharper, edgier, more environmentally alert dog it's far less about the technical aspects and more about the whole package. It's workable and a real accomplishment with dogs as such but it's not as easily done as some may feel.

Also judges definitely do vary, most want BHs to pass and will help where they can (mine totally did, we failed on our own merit, being less socially exposed than I thought- and we had our CGC) but not all are so forgiving.

I think it's great you're shooting for it even if its the only thing you'll do in the sport.