Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 03-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Default Dutch Shepherds

I'm definitely curious more about this breed.

One day down the road I'd really like to try out Schutzhund. I don't necessarily know that any of my current dogs would be good at it, Cricket maybe... but then again she doesn't seem to really be that interested in any bite work that I've tried to do with her so probably not. Would be nice to get my hands wet though to see if this is something I would want to commit more to down the road with a future dog.

I really don't know what kind of dog I'm going to end up with next. There are multiple breeds I really like for varying different reasons so it'll honestly depend on where I'm at in life and what I'm really looking for in a dog at the time and what my goals would be with said dog. So... on that note, I decided to venture out and learn more about other breeds for now especially breeds that would do well in different avenues I'd like to pursue: Rally/OB, Disc (currently starting Cricket in disc), SAR, maybe schutzhund if I end up moving somewhere with a good club and if I feel I can commit to it. I tend to like to dabble in different things and I know with schutzhund you have to be absolutely committed to it which is why I'd love to get out there and see it more in person, etc before deciding if I would 100% be interested. It's definitely intriguing to me though.

Which brings me to the topic of Dutch Shepherds. I know quite a bit about GSDs and Belgians, but Dutch Shepherd's I don't know too much about. We have one that started coming to my work recently and he is a serious stunner and I'm definitely a sucker for brindle, but I'd like to know more about their temperament and drive. Where do they compare with GSDs and Belgian breeds? Do they tend to be SUPER drivey? Tell me what you know. How do they tend to do with other dogs, cats, kids? Are they prone to DA, DR, separation anxiety? How do the different lines tend to compare to each other? I want to know the good, the bad and the ugly.

Definitely not deciding right now if I want a dutchie down the road, but definitely interested in learning more.
Old 03-03-2013, 06:35 PM
Glutton for Crazy

First step, you'd have to have a real breed to answer this question.

JK

Seriously though, it absolutely depends on what you're drawn to, the AKC/FCI/UKC show/sport dutch or the work/bitesport KNPV and so forth.

Over all, in my experience, they're very similar to malinois, more so than GSDs, you'll find a majority of working/sport bred have been interbred without purebred pedigree priority so variety is a given. It's definitely a breed to be bought on line/kennel, not breed alone, imo.

I can PM you a kennel I have considered putting on my "someday" list though.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Yeah, the thing is, this is going to so depend on what population of DS you mean. The FCI dogs are no longer terribly closely related to the KNPV lines in Holland, IMO. In fact, KNPV can be kind of their own thing, really, whether they're stripey or brown.

Blossom is half KNPV lines, and that means that she does indeed have some brindle dogs in her pedigree, as well as at least one GSD and a Groenendael. The KNPV Dutchies are the result of an open registry, so they're not registrable with the FCI or AKC. They're most commonly mixed with Malinois and GSDs, although from the appearance of some of the dogs, it's quite clear there are some more obscure breeds floating around that gene pool, .

I know literally nothing about the AKC/FCI lines. I do know that KNPV dogs have a reputation for being asocial and handler aggressive, and physically they are often quite large and powerful, often thickly built. That said, you can find a lot of variety, I'm sure, depending on what each kennel strives to produce. I mean, Blossom is a full 50% KNPV lines and is none of those things, temperament wise or structurally. *shrug* lol I believe that Riley and Aura are KNPV bred, maybe Jen will be of some help. Also, CharlieDog may have some info on how her girl Indy is bred and what's she like.

But, FWIW, Blossom and her littermates are typical Mals, LOL. So I think that's somewhat close to what you're looking at.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:15 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I do know that KNPV dogs have a reputation for being asocial and handler aggressive, and physically they are often quite large and powerful, often thickly built.
They're hard workers who work best in defense, they aren't as play motivated as malinois (generally speaking) and additionally can be troubling in obedience, plus they either have awesome noses or totally lack interest, again this is generally speaking in reference to those I have known which were mostly all related (I really disliked the FCI/UKC dutch I've known) and exceptions do occur especially with such an open gene pool.

As far as pets they are devoted but yes, not exactly soft.

I loved, loved, loved my TDs dutch but he ended up selling him to a working home and bought another malinois for sport. He was getting too big for the handler, physically, and just not offering the drives and enjoyment in sport training that he was looking for. The dog excelled at work however and thats how we got Q.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Really great information in this thread, will bookmark for myself, too. All I really know about Dutch Shepherds is that I don't think I would ever be capable of handling one, but I really, really want Indy

You may want to PM Falon if she doesn't see this thread. She had a Dutch Shepherd not long ago.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52 PM
Top Dog

I'm interested in learning more about this breed as well. I briefly met my first dutchie at a trade show a few weeks ago I was kind of enamored with that dog. The owner was standing talking to someone and he was sitting behind her just absolutely INTENT and focused on the dog toys hanging on the wall. Really cool dog.

I'd love to hear more about how they are with other dogs, living with other dogs, etc? I tried researching but there wasn't much I could find.

Old 03-03-2013, 07:02 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
First step, you'd have to have a real breed to answer this question.

JK
LOL I just saw this... yeah. That's kind of the problem.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:28 AM
Top Dog

I will be back later today to do a full post. I bought a Dutchie to do SAR with, started Schutzhund with him and now have a working line GSD I do a wide number of sports with. I also work for a company that trains and handles bomb detection dogs so I work with a HUGE number of Mals every day (along with GSDs and some DSs).

In general, based on what you want the dog for, I would strongly recommend not going for a DS unless you are VERY knowledgeable about the specific lines they are coming from. GSDs, even extreme drive ones, can make great house pets. Mals are tolerable, DSs tend to be more difficult although I did it, it was NOT easy.

Will be back later with more direct comparisons of breed. Plus, all that being said, I am most likely getting a Mal for my next Schutzhund dog even though my GSD is by far the best dog I've worked personally.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Professional Nerd

My experience with Dutchies is that they are an in-between, but they can be at ends of the spectrum. A friend has several that she imported from Van Leeuwen as well as one from Vrijheid. While drivey, she reports them to be excellent house dogs. Another friend has a Vrijheid pup about 10mo or so and find him to be a good worker, energetic, but a good house dog. All of these males are quite large, but the females not so much.

One of my favorite dogs was a Dutchie that a friend had. He was bombproof and amazing with children but had enough of a civil side that could turn on when necessary. He was a Malinois sized dog. I wanted a clone of him so badly. He was bred in Michigan but his pedigree was unknown.
Old 03-04-2013, 11:49 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
My experience with Dutchies is that they are an in-between, but they can be at ends of the spectrum. A friend has several that she imported from Van Leeuwen as well as one from Vrijheid. While drivey, she reports them to be excellent house dogs. Another friend has a Vrijheid pup about 10mo or so and find him to be a good worker, energetic, but a good house dog. All of these males are quite large, but the females not so much.

One of my favorite dogs was a Dutchie that a friend had. He was bombproof and amazing with children but had enough of a civil side that could turn on when necessary. He was a Malinois sized dog. I wanted a clone of him so badly. He was bred in Michigan but his pedigree was unknown.
I really like the look and sound of some of the Vrijheid dogs... maybe if I ever wanted to go stripey... lol