Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-27-2013, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Default Mixed Breeds?

Okay, I know you guys are probably getting annoyed by all the breed suggestions posts I'm making. I'm not being annoying on purpose, I'm just unnaturally curious. I promise you all that I will stop with the posts soon enough.

So, I narrowed down my breed to the German Shepherd. Which was pretty obvious, honestly, but then I saw people getting dogs from the shelter. And getting mixed breeds. And getting dogs that were saved from terrible conditions that made me feel pity for the poor puppies.

What do you guys think of getting a mix breed? It would be a puppy, definitely, but I am now having trouble choosing between getting a purebred or a mutt. Especially considering the fact I may do flyball (or agility, really can't choose...). By mix breed, I mean the generic pick up from the pound dog, or the typical craigslist dog. A dog which has unknown lineage and you have no idea who the parents are. All of my previous dogs have been mixes, and I loved them all, dearly. But, I also want a purebred dog. I wish this choice was 10x easier...

Help. I'm indecisive. Purebred GSD or mix breed?

Crystal - female - German Shepherd x Sheltie mix - DOB: 8/1/09 - 40 lbs

Last edited by CrystalGSD; 02-27-2013 at 08:07 PM. Reason: typos :)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:13 PM
Top Dog

I do agility with my mystery mutt. We will not be trying out for the national team (not that I would have the skills with a purebred either though!), but we are having a blast and I wouldn't change it for the world. It makes it all the more rewarding to me that she wasn't bred specifically to do this--she just loves it, so we continue.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:21 PM
I'm All Ears

One day I would like to get a mutt to sport with. I have my mind set on a certain type of mix. If I were doing that, personally I'd go with an adult. That way you can see the drives/structure you are dealing with.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:28 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
One day I would like to get a mutt to sport with. I have my mind set on a certain type of mix. If I were doing that, personally I'd go with an adult. That way you can see the drives/structure you are dealing with.
^ this.
Purebred or mutt is a personal choice. One doesn't do better at sports over another just based on purity of breed.

It's about structure, temperament, drive and health of the INDIVIDUAL.

I would suggest getting an adult so you know all these above things personally..then go from there Maybe contact a rescue about a sports prospect.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm All Ears

I should add that tons of the dogs at our agility club are mutts. All different shapes and sizes and breed types.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:43 PM
APBTs & One Crazy Banana

Why does it have to be either purebred from a breeder OR mutt from rescue/shelter? What about a purebred (or as close as anyone can guess to being purebred) dog from a shelter or rescue? I think that the decision depends entirely on what you want to do with your dog, how much you care about being able to research your dog's lineage (and the health, structure and temperaments in it), or how important it is to have a breeder-mentor and the additional support system that comes from getting a dog from a good breeder.