Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
LostAndConfused's Avatar
LostAndConfused LostAndConfused is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 3,002
Default Breed Suggestions

This is for a co-worker of mine. I'm thinking adult rescue of misc. lab or golden heritage, but just wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

She currently lives 'in the country' with her 3 kids and is nervous living out there alone. She is looking for a largish dog to help her feel less vulnerable.

Size: 30-70 lbs
Grooming: minimal upkeep. No going to the groomers regularly. I'm thinking single coated breed for min. shedding, but am open to double coated as well.
Temperament: She wants something that will 'protect her' *eye roll* I say she wants something that will bark. Good with kids, 2 kids are in elementary school and the youngest is a baby, 6 months I think.

Trying to avoid common BSL breeds due to renting.

Not crazy energy. Something willing & able to chill in the house without a lot of mental/physical stimulation.


Any suggestions? Anything else you would like to know?
__________________
allons-y!



Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012


Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012


Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-22-2013, 05:27 PM
Dex's Avatar
Dex Dex is offline
Big Dog
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 131
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
This is for a co-worker of mine. I'm thinking adult rescue of misc. lab or golden heritage, but just wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

She currently lives 'in the country' with her 3 kids and is nervous living out there alone. She is looking for a largish dog to help her feel less vulnerable.

Size: 30-70 lbs
Grooming: minimal upkeep. No going to the groomers regularly. I'm thinking single coated breed for min. shedding, but am open to double coated as well.
Temperament: She wants something that will 'protect her' *eye roll* I say she wants something that will bark. Good with kids, 2 kids are in elementary school and the youngest is a baby, 6 months I think.

Trying to avoid common BSL breeds due to renting.

Not crazy energy. Something willing & able to chill in the house without a lot of mental/physical stimulation.


Any suggestions? Anything else you would like to know?
I would second your suggestion of an adult lab/golden/etc mix. Once Labs get past their puppy phase.. ya know, after like four years.... they suddenly find their off switch and make wonderful "chill in the house buy play in the yard" kinda dogs. Plenty of kid friendly adult Labs that need homes

Good luck to your coworker!
__________________
Check us out on Facebook and Instagram!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-22-2013, 09:08 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 9,945
Default

A lot of mixes would work. If she had her heart set on a purebred, a tricolored smooth collie would be a good watch dog, look intimidating, do well with the kids and shouldn't fall under any breed restrictions.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-23-2013, 06:36 AM
LostAndConfused's Avatar
LostAndConfused LostAndConfused is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hudson Valley
Posts: 3,002
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dex View Post
I would second your suggestion of an adult lab/golden/etc mix. Once Labs get past their puppy phase.. ya know, after like four years.... they suddenly find their off switch and make wonderful "chill in the house buy play in the yard" kinda dogs. Plenty of kid friendly adult Labs that need homes

Good luck to your coworker!
Thanks. Luckily I think I have a little bit of time. She is working on planning a 2-3 week trip back home in late spring or early summer and doesn't want a dog before then. Kind of worried that now that she has this in her head she is just going to jump the gun and go get a cute dog off craigslist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
A lot of mixes would work. If she had her heart set on a purebred, a tricolored smooth collie would be a good watch dog, look intimidating, do well with the kids and shouldn't fall under any breed restrictions.
I don't think she necessarily has her heart set on a purebred. I sent her the link for Petfinder yesterday and she was browsing it. It's just hard because the majority of the shelters & rescues in the area have pitts and I don't think that's what she wants. Ya know, overly friendly, bouncy, happy pitt bulls. LOL

smooth tri collie you say....Can you just steal me a Logan?
__________________
allons-y!



Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012


Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012


Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/

Last edited by LostAndConfused; 02-23-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: forgot to add somethin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

I was thinking Smooth Collie too. They are shedders but than, so are Labs and Goldens. Great family dogs, great with kids, biddable, fun loving but able to chill, "protective" enough acting without being a real threat and hey, I think more Collies have won the Hero Dog Award than any other breed.

CCA has a great online guide to life with Collies: http://www.collieclubofamerica.org/m...e_collie2.html
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-23-2013, 12:31 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,561
Default

I was thinking collie, or a larger aussie....one of the more protective herding breeds/mixes.

A darker dog is going to dissuade predators more...so I think a dark lab mix, or some kind of easygoing shepherd mix, might be a good choice.

A dog of that description wouldn't be at all difficult to find in most shelters, especially if she'd be willing to go closer to the city. No Kill Shelters generally have more non-bully-breeds than places like ACC, but if she keeps checking, she'll find one. She could also look for a rescue that places dogs in foster homes with children, so she can find out more about their protectiveness and how good they are with kids.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:24 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site