Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-20-2013, 06:25 PM
Twin 2

Default Manners Minder

So, I'm considering getting one of these but wanted people's opinions.

The reasons I'm considering this is because while I'm at work the dogs are crated, which would be fine if no one was home because they are quiet then. But, when people are home and out of the room they are rather vocal and my sister is about ready to kill them. So I would like to set one up outside the crate to allow my sister to reward remotely for quiet.

I also would like it for when people come home to reward AWAY from anyone for calmness.

So, who has one of these? Do you use it for other things? I would like to use it for more than two things if possible since it's not the cheapest. Do you recommend it?
Old 02-20-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

I had this:

http://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm?fu...&ParentCat=675

Lucy would. not. leave it alone. "OMGTHERE'SFOOD!!!! MUST CLAW AT IT FOR HOURS EVEN WHEN MOM SHOVES FOOD UNDER MY NOSE TO TRY TO DISTRACT ME". I ended up having to give it away to a friend because she just couldn't focus when it was on the ground.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:20 AM
Top Dog

I have one. I used it a lot for being quiet on the mat while I worked a different dog and some for rewarding being quiet in the crate. My biggest issue is that mine jams a lot. I'd say every 10 to 20th reward spin it jams up. So if your sister is using it she's probably going to have to fix it on a regular basis, which may be as annoying as vocal dogs.

I'll come back to this thread after I've had coffee because I'm sure I have more to say. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-21-2013, 10:17 AM
Twin 2

Yeah Taq, I was reading in a few places it jammed. Did it matter what kibble you used? And do you know when it jams? She'll be using the remote from the other side of the house so if she can't tell when it jams it'll be a bigger pain.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:44 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I used TOTW and Eagle Pack kibble in mine. The first before the recalls, the second because that is what Cookie eats and I was using it for her. I've never had a jam...both are medium size kibbles. I have teensy Nutrisca at home i could put in to see if it jams on smaller stuff.

I've had mine for several years now. It took my dogs a little while to learn that it wasn't another Nina Ottosson toy and that scrabbling at it is not okay. Webster especially was certain it was a food puzzle toy and if I would only leave him alone with it for a few seconds he would conquer it. So it's only out if we're actively working it or they cannot reach it.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

Mine came with two different disc sizes for different sized kibble. I use the tiny Halo cat food in mine and it would occasionally jam but not very often.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I loved ours at work, embarrassingly it took me forever to realize the dish came off.

I would love to see how it will be improved, do you have any sneak peeks?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I loved ours at work, embarrassingly it took me forever to realize the dish came off.

I would love to see how it will be improved, do you have any sneak peeks?
Here it is!
http://www.petsafe.net/products/trai...reat-dispenser
I think this was day #3 of being at the trade show and I was about as tuned out as I could be, but it can be plugged in, and it also has a tone (which I believe the Manners Minder does not have). It's cheaper than the MM. It looks constructed better. Downside is I don't believe you can go as far with the remote.

Petsafe dropped some pretty awesome new stuff this year. Potty pads that you plug into the treat dispenser, and when it feels moisture, it spits out a treat. A bark counter to monitor how much (and when) your dog barks if you aren't home. Pendant e-collars with a ring that sits on the dog's neck instead of prongs (less chance of pressure necrosis).

Old 02-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Here it is!
http://www.petsafe.net/products/trai...reat-dispenser
I think this was day #3 of being at the trade show and I was about as tuned out as I could be, but it can be plugged in, and it also has a tone (which I believe the Manners Minder does not have). It's cheaper than the MM. It looks constructed better. Downside is I don't believe you can go as far with the remote.
That does look nice. I especially like that it can be plugged in, though of course that may not even always be possible because you'd have to make sure the power cord is out of reach of the dog. Still a nice option. I'd love to try one out in person, I'll have to start watching the pet stores and trade shows....
Old 03-01-2013, 12:11 AM
Top Dog

I adore my old style Manners Minder (Sharper Image Treat N Train). It can be plugged in, it has down stay sensors (my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE THING), and the only thing I've had to replace is the battery on the remote.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years