Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 11:09 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Things you wish you had taught you dog earlier?

Just looking for ideas on anything I should be working on with Siri that I may have overlooked.

I'm not worrying about actual behaviors like sit or down right now, but we are doing lots of self control games, relaxation games, and building toy drive. Crate manners and leash skills are another big one that we're working on. And learning to learn through shaping!

But I was wondering what you wish you had worked on earlier. Something you wish you had prevented or just put more time into earlier on.

TIA

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:11 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Oh, nail trimming is the other thing that we are really working hard on. I do NOT want another Frodo when it comes to nails!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
& the Muttly Crew

I like to make sure I get grooming in early -- nail trims, ear cleaning, etc.

I also like doing mat/place target work early. Helps to build an early stay, can br used to build distance/sends, and is easily transportable. Can also be used as a more transportable extension of crate games work (though she so litter I suppose just bringing the whole crate isn't much trouble I'm thinking like a retriver person!)

Also doing wobble board work and loud sudden noise work early is good, especially if you plan to do agility. Slamming aroud a wobble board, knocking over metal bowls to clatter, whatever. Basically introducing the idea that she can control motion and noise around her and that these things are cool.

There are probably others but those come to mind as additions to your list.

ETA: As an extension to wobble boards/noise is general potentially scary stuff: running across crinkly bags, dropping a trashcan lid, noisy overhead doors. Mira used to "surf" around the house on a sleeping bag as I pulled it...she thought it was super fun.

There's also body awareness work -- crawling through tight spaces, playing amidst pvc bars, jumping in an out of low boxes or walking along a line of them, having different feet on different surfaces, paw targets with all four paws, etc.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-19-2013, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

I wish I had taught a "no bark" command earlier. Liberty was our first dog, and at first his vocal-ness was really endearing. Until it wasn't.

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
The Monster.

NOT TAKING FOOD FROM THE FLOOR.

This is Cohen's #1 biggest issue. She's renowned for scenting a half decomposed sandwich while out at a park from the other side of the field and making a beeline towards it and completely blowing me off. She's almost perfect otherwise.

That and being more conscientious of dog-dog interactions when she was a pup and stepping in earlier. I had a "let them work it out" mentality that I don't think worked very well for her.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
And food-related: giving up/trading what you have (food, property, real estate) when asked.

If someone had taught Webster that when young, he may not have ended up homeless. But then I wouldn't have him, so hey silver lining

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I like to make sure I get grooming in early -- nail trims, ear cleaning, etc.

I also like doing mat/place target work early. Helps to build an early stay, can br used to build distance/sends, and is easily transportable. Can also be used as a more transportable extension of crate games work (though she so litter I suppose just bringing the whole crate isn't much trouble I'm thinking like a retriver person!)

Also doing wobble board work and loud sudden noise work early is good, especially if you plan to do agility. Slamming aroud a wobble board, knocking over metal bowls to clatter, whatever. Basically introducing the idea that she can control motion and noise around her and that these things are cool.

There are probably others but those come to mind as additions to your list.

ETA: As an extension to wobble boards/noise is general potentially scary stuff: running across crinkly bags, dropping a trashcan lid, noisy overhead doors. Mira used to "surf" around the house on a sleeping bag as I pulled it...she thought it was super fun.

There's also body awareness work -- crawling through tight spaces, playing amidst pvc bars, jumping in an out of low boxes or walking along a line of them, having different feet on different surfaces, paw targets with all four paws, etc.
Thank you! I definitely want to get her started on wobble boards and the like, I had totally forgotten about them! She doesn't really startle at noises, which makes me happy, but I guess it won't hurt to do setups to keep it that way.

She LOVES tight spaces. We have a cat tunnel for Whiskey that she will run back and forth through. She tunnels under the end tables which are about 5 inches off the ground I have pvc in my car, I should probably bring those in and play around them.

THANK YOU!!! This is exactly the type of thing I'm looking for!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:37 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
I wish I had taught a "no bark" command earlier. Liberty was our first dog, and at first his vocal-ness was really endearing. Until it wasn't.
She isn't very vocal, doesn't bark when Frodo starts. We reward BIG TIME for that. The only time she is vocal is when she is frustrated (You have my toy and I don't know what to do to get it back!) or barking at the other critters in the apartment. We have almost eliminated this in the past two days by giving 30 second time outs whenever we bark at the other beings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post

This is Cohen's #1 biggest issue. She's renowned for scenting a half decomposed sandwich while out at a park from the other side of the field and making a beeline towards it and completely blowing me off. She's almost perfect otherwise.

That and being more conscientious of dog-dog interactions when she was a pup and stepping in earlier. I had a "let them work it out" mentality that I don't think worked very well for her.
Hm. Not sure how I would work in not taking food from the floor when I do a lot of rewarding on the mat, not to her mouth when we work on relaxing (Overall's RP style). And I do a lot of throwing food to reset her when we are training?

Also I am very very very very careful with her dog/dog interactions. She only gets to play with dogs I know well. I don't know that she will ever meet a truly "strange" dog because I'm too worried about one instance making her reactive Right now she can't be on the ground in pet stores, but I let her look at all the dogs there. Once she can be on the floor we will look, but avoid meetings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
And food-related: giving up/trading what you have (food, property, real estate) when asked.

If someone had taught Webster that when young, he may not have ended up homeless. But then I wouldn't have him, so hey silver lining
I keep her most favorite tuggy toy up high just for trading reasons.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:45 AM
Top Dog

I should have spent more time on leash manners with Recon from a younger age and appropriate behavior on walks by traffic.

What I spent a TON of time on and do not regret one bit;

LOTS of off leash time (recall) with awesome treats, everywhere we went. Front yard, public park, dog park, inside my home and friend's homes... etc.

Attention/working near other dogs. I work a private dog park and Recon gets to accompany me to the office at least 10 hours a week, so this helped a TON

Nails/grooming/bathing- TEACH A STAND. Well, you don't have a very fluffy puppy... but I'm so glad I taught Recon to stand on the table when he was young... Paid off big time!

Waiting for meals/toys/to go through doors. Don't want to develope a guarder!

Car riding/making it a good experience. I had a drooly anxious puppy, so I did it more than I normall would.. but he's much better now, so that paid off!

Crating while you're in the house/treating and giving them time in the crate even if you're home all the time. Frag developed SA because we didn't do this at all, then went to school full time.

Desensitizing to the vet's office/grooming tubs can be a big thing, too.

Those are pretty much the most important to me.. many that I didn't do with Frag because he wasn't my puppy and I didn't know anything about dogs at the time, that proved to be much larger problems that we had to overcome later down the road. Recon got it all right away and he's doing SO MUCH BETTER than Frag was at his age.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-19-2013, 11:39 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I wish I had gotten Payton started with more agility foundation stuff earlier. I mean beyond the relationship building and tug and drive work and blah blah. It would be nice to get over my regret but it will probably take me a while.

I don't have anything I wish I had taught Auggie earlier. And I didn't have Pepper for so long so she kinda doesn't count. There are of course a million things I would rather have done with Pepper but it's impossible to have done.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog