Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-12-2013, 06:15 PM
Twin 2

Default Didgie's Motion Fixation Progress

Ok, so this video is probably super boring to everyone not me. But I'm just so incredibly tickled that I needed to share it.

Most of you guys have probably seen me talk about or reference Didgie's motion fixation. She latches onto dogs fetching and running, with Traveler at the heart of this. It's my biggest frustration with her and my biggest regret for not knowing about herding breeds being prone to this.

We've made strides in combatting this. I can now play with any toy with her and Traveler in the house and she wants the toy/me not Traveler. I stopped all dog park fetching when they are together there but even without that she's very much only into him there. We've gotten to the point where she will check in and call off him rather easily but still wants to shadow. She's also willing to play tug with me there IF he is tied up and unable to move.

But today was the first time in months that I've taken the fetch/tug outside where her arousal level is much higher and Traveler is very much of a distraction. She did great. SO much better than I thought she would.

Not only did she tug through him fetching (And I really threw the ball, not little sissy throws like before) but she was able to fetch (not her favorite thing in the world) WHILE he was also fetching.

You can see in the start of the video how she starts out, that's what we're fighting against. At one point she is looking at me without the tug in her mouth, I throw the ball for Traveler, she looks at him and then refocuses on me without prompting. That was just huge.

I hope with progress I'll be able to devote equal amount of attention to both her and Traveler while playing with them rather than having to give her so much of it. I plan on getting them each a different Wubba and making it their toy, and their toy only to work towards being able to have both of them fetching at the dog park.

But for now, we have this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G83UcaxTxZI
Old 02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Top Dog

Very nice!! I'm impressed with how far you guys have come, it's a hard (and frustrating) thing to work on. I have the same problem with Mu and Tipper - only if Mu is allowed to fixate we end up having a dog fight. It makes it super hard to work on.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Very nice!! I'm impressed with how far you guys have come, it's a hard (and frustrating) thing to work on. I have the same problem with Mu and Tipper - only if Mu is allowed to fixate we end up having a dog fight. It makes it super hard to work on.
I didn't know that was where their issues stemmed from but I can seriously see how that could happen. I think if Traveler had any edge to him at all (or been female) it would have resulted in some fights. As it is when they do that around other dogs, Didgie biting and barking and Traveler getting annoyed, it can set the other dogs off.

You've done so well with Tipper and Mu! I at least don't have the aggression to deal with.

If you have any tips for me feel free to share, most of what I've been doing has just been trial and error!
Old 02-13-2013, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

Woohoo she's doing great!

Trav has a deeper bark than I imagined, LOL.

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Woohoo she's doing great!

Trav has a deeper bark than I imagined, LOL.
Seriously?!? He has the most pathetic chicken bark EVER! I think Didgie's bark is deeper than his.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Seriously?!? He has the most pathetic chicken bark EVER! I think Didgie's bark is deeper than his.
Lol, really?! I dunno, maybe I'm just used to little dog barks. Jackson has the most annoying high pitched bark EVER. So Trav sounds all deep to me, haha

Brit & Jackson

Old 02-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Top Dog

Yeah it definitely contributed to our issues. Everything kind of snowballed at once unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
You've done so well with Tipper and Mu! I at least don't have the aggression to deal with.
Aw thanks! Its nice to hear because tonight I kind of want to kill them. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

All of my dogs have done this. I guess I didn't really notice or work on it purposefully but there are some behaviors I am not ok with and do not allow.

Limit was the worst. He had a bit of edge and him and Kastle would get into it. I began to encourage him to engage me with a toy when he was angry with Kastle. I went out in the yard every day for weeks and practiced this...but I tend to do things like that anyway, out of habit.

The only dog that Limit fixates on now is Robin. For the most part only in our backyard and only when I'm not out there. If I'm around, he will now engage me. If Robin is not around, Limit is "normal" now and will play fine with everyone else.

Robin went through this with Kastle for a few months and I mostly let Kastle correct him. The girls together are holy terrors but to everyone indiscriminately and moving or not lol