Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-06-2013, 12:08 AM
Top Dog

Default Does your dog "get" cats?

How do they interact with cats?? Chase aggressively, play too roughly, treat them like another dog, scared of them, ignore them, other?

Milo grew up with a cat...and was usually fine with her, although sometimes he would get a bit aggressive if she did something to **** him off, he never hurt her and could be called off. He'd annoy her by nudging her and trying to get her to play, most of the time. She died before his aggression issues got more serious, though.

Now, we have two cats, and Milo is mostly separated from them except when closely supervised. One of the dumbass cats thinks chasing him, darting out at him, etc. is hilarious, and seemingly had a death wish (Milo growled at him a few times when he startled Milo, which the cat thought was incredibly amusing, so their bonding time has been cut VERY short).

But recently, Milo's been a lot more tolerant of surprises, and the cat has been a lot more interested in just chilling in the room with him instead of hiding atop bookshelves and leaping into his face unexpectedly. So, they've spent a bit of time together, which usually involves Milo running from me to the cat with a big stupid grin on his face, and the cat pawing at him, to Milo's extreme delight.

Tonight, my dad was petting the cat in the living room, and I let Milo in to hang out. The whole family was there, and since Milo was being super nice to the kitty and was really relaxed and happy, he got 3x the praise he usually does around the cat, which nearly made him explode with happiness. He kept running up and licking Dash's ears and then darting a few feet away, so I said "Milo, he's gonna getcha!" which is what I say when Milo and I play chase, so Milo took off across the house.

When he realized the cat was not following, he tried again. No luck. So...it was time to problem solve. He ran, grabbed a ball, and threw it in the cat's face before playing bowing and spazzing out. The cat was not amused, but the ball bounced enough that I'm pretty much Milo thought Dash was responsible for it. So he spent a good 15 minutes throwing his ball at the cat, then prancing around in full bliss that the cat was playing with him every time the ball rolled away.

He really does enjoy the company of other animals, and it makes me so happy to see him playing with another dog, or our cat, after all the work we put into it. It would be worth it, even just for the peace it brings and having a dog that doesn't flip out around other animals, but it seems 100% more worth it when he's racing around with the other dogs or smiling so hard at the cat it looks like his face will fall off.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 02-06-2013, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

According to Elsie's body language, inside, cats are dogs (friends). Outside, they are rabbits (food).

So no.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:45 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Well, it is very important to me that any dog in my house knows that animals inside must be tolerated.

So inside cats are respected and given space. Cats (and other animals) outside are things to chase and scare off.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-06-2013, 01:06 AM
Top Dog

Yoshi... I won't say she gets them but she's pretty good with them. All she wants to do is run up and sniff them but then she's usually done.

Sometimes if a cat swats at her she thinks it's playing but it's never rough it's just her jumping around.

In the house and outside of the house she's the same.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:09 AM
Top Dog

Zander plays like cats like he would puppies. So I'm not sure. He's gentle with little animals in the house, and he'll be polite outside if I tell him to. But I wouldn't say he "gets" them.

Given the opportunity, he wouldn't turn down the chance to run, aka chase something that ran outside.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:49 AM
Show Dog

The cats and the dogs coexist in the house...not necessarily peacefully, but they tolerate each other. Bear is quite happy to ignore the cats entirely, although his patience for them wanes a bit if they swat at him. He also has a far lower tolerance level at night for some reason. If they slink about when it's just the dogs and I up and everyone else is sleeping, he tends to go into 'alert' mode and really wants to chase them off. He settles for making pitiful whiney growly noises while staring them down.

Pig and the cats have a love/hate relationship. Pig loves them, they hate her. She doesn't understand why they won't play with her. Sometimes they'll chase her around and she thinks it's the greatest thing ever. The cats aren't exactly in 'play' mode when they chase her, but she doesn't care as long as they're chasing her. I have a feeling that if the cats did actually play with her, she would get too rough with them.

Outside cats are fair game. Pig is very interested in them, but she looks like she just wants to play. Bear thinks they need to be watched carefully off of the property. On the property they need to be chased off and possibly mauled/eaten if caught. Luckily he's never caught one. He did 'tree' one after chasing it up a lattice wall. I had to physically put him back in the house because he didn't want to leave it.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:56 PM
orange iguanas.

Happy is fine and ignores them.

Lucy and Juno I don't really know. They are fine with our cat. They ignore him. But they live with him... I have no idea what they would do if they met a strange cat.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 02-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Top Dog

Tucker can read cat body language better than most of the people in our house (knows what pinned ears, tense bodies, wagging tails, staring at each other means) un fortunately he uses his powers for evil. If the cats get ticked at each other he chases and nips Neko, its alarming when he does it but he never hurts him. He also does not let them play. If hes upstairs and heres their feet or bodies thump on the floor in a way that suggests they are playing he runs down to chase Neko.

He also really wishes Willie were a dog, he used to try sooooo hard to get him to play, luckiy he's mostly given up, Willie was being harassed. If a cat shows any aggression towards him he thinks its a play thing. He will become more intense in his attempt to play, I think hes actually ran from a cat once and I think the cat had gotten stuck in his face.

But deep down hes afraid of Neko. Neko continually tries to snuggle with him and Tucker looks terrified, he freezes and cant move. As soon as he has the oppurtunity to leave ( if neko gets up to readjust) he bolts away. He's less worried about Willie but will still look alarmed if he comes to cuddle.

Outside Im not sure. If he sees a cat out the window he goes nuts, but he does that to dogs too. On walks he acts like I would if I saw a black bear in someones yard, moves slow, bobs head, looks spooked and doesnt stop looking back until its far out of range.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 02-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Top Dog

I'm not really sure how Crossbone is with cats...

He's met my parent's cats behind gates and is always really excited, crying, play bowing & spinning in circles. I don't think he'd hurt them inside unless they ran from him - he did chase one of the cats outside. I'm not sure if he'd hurt or kill a cat if he caught one.

He did meet Ken's brother's cat and kept a distance after the cat hissed at him.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Behavior Nerd

At our house, Cross met Pi once. He thought Pi was utterly fascinating and kept trying to get him to play, but Pi stayed out of reach. LOL I didn't see any form of prey behavior in that setting.