Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

View Poll Results: Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?
Yes 31 36.05%
No 34 39.53%
Almost 15 17.44%
This is a dog forum? 6 6.98%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2013, 01:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Do you consider your dog "breed worthy", hypothetically?

I thought it was an interesting discussion to be had. It's very clear each breed or mix has a general goal and then within it there are types and then personal ideals. Does your dog, whether you breed or not, fit those ideals?

In a hypothetical world where you can breed altered dogs and or do not have to care for finding puppies homes, etc.

The question is why or why not do you feel your dog is worthy of breeding?

I'm opening this up to every breed, altered or not, and mix.

And... Go!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

I feel my dog is breed worthy because he....

A. Is registered with a reputable registry not some fly by night paper registry
B. Comes from health tested parents
C. Comes from a pedigree of health tested dogs with amazing lines where 98% of his ancestors are titled at high level Schutzhund
D. Comes from a sire who is an amazing producer and is titled
E. Comes from a dam who had a ton of potential and was a wonderful dog.
F. Comes from a good breeder who consistently produces working caliber dogs not just sport level dogs.
G. Has been evaluated by numerous outside people and received good comments and remarks from them
H. Has an amazing temperament
I. Has nice conformation with a couple minor faults that are not bad faults persay, just faults
J. Has wonderful drive and working ability
K. Has been fully health tested and passed everything with good marks.
L. Is working towards higher level titles in one sport and novice titles in others.
M. Has stable nerves and a clear head.
N. Is a versatile dog as a GSD in my opinion should be.
O. Is just a very nice example of what a working bred GSD should be IMHO.

LoLa...well.....the world doesn't need any more Grogres running around. She has health issues due to poor conformation and doesn't come from health tested or titled stock. Her bloodlines farther back are ok but the ones close are crap. So...LoLa was spayed....no need for more LoLas in the world.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

So for mixed dogs would this be a hypothetical breeding mix to mix or just pretending there's a whole breed of Murphys/Mus/Tippers out there?

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 02-04-2013, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

As much as I love Zuma, and I adore everything about her, I would have to say mostly no on this one. Her conformation is odd, and while she has a ton of drive, she's picky about using it. She's reactive to other dogs in certain situations and randomly gets funky phobias that take a bit to coax her through. For instance, last week I had to fix her fear of the front door at the clinic I work at (the same door she's been going through for the last 1.5 years without a problem), because she accidentally slipped one time going through it. Not even a bad slip, just messed up her footing a little. So it took a couple days to get her ok with it again.

The Zuma the public sees? Yes, THAT Zuma is worthy of being bred. The Zuma I see/mold to get the public version of Zuma? No, not worthy.

I'm going to answer for Zinga too, even though she's only 10 months old and I really have no idea of how she's going to turn out in the long run. I adore her temperament. I adore her drive when she's focused. She's outgoing, fearless, fun, moldable and enthusiastic. Right now she's also chaotic. If that chaos is never able to be channeled, then no, she won't fit what I call "breed worthy".
Old 02-04-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

Yes, both the dogs I currently own, I consider breed worthy. Obviously I consider Tess breed worthy, because I did. And I regret not breeding her again. Though I had what seemed like good reasons to spay her when I did.

I consider her breed worthy because she's a healthy dog of excellent type and sound structure & solid temperament. Lots of working drive. She has oodles of titles, but those are just proof of the qualities she has, which I already knew about, so I planned to breed her from puppyhood. In particular, she has a good front, which is something I don't always see in my breed. (and which is the main reason I originally bred Tully to produce Tess)

I consider Pirate breed worthy because he's Tess' son, ridiculously handsome (better overall than Tess is, though so far, not as successful in the show ring), brilliantly intelligent, excellent structure (though to be honest, his sister's structure is just a bit better. But her owners didn't want to breed.) And in particular, because he has what I consider possibly the best temperament I could ever ask for.

Just so I don't sound like I think all my dogs are perfect, , I'll add that my first Stafford was not breed worthy. I adopted him as a rescue, and he was also cryptorchid, so breeding was never on the table. And he was an amazing dog, a wonderful dog to start in dog sports with, and the best possible introduction to the breed for me. But he had a lack of angulation which is typical in his lines, and could be a contributor to his front end injuries. Poor pigmentation, which is not the worst fault, but potentially could become a health concern if bred from without ever trying for improvement. Some other cosmetic defects (ie; wonky ears), not as big a deal, but not something to breed willy nilly. And a tendency to stereotypy behaviors, which I think very likely is a genetic trait in dogs.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

No. Pan is too nervy/defensive and doesn't have a good natural grip. She has great drive and work ethic, but the cons outweigh the pros for sure.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Behavior Nerd

(Assuming no overpopulation and cleared health certs for the mixes)

Ziva: yes, she's a super easy dog, but with nice drives, only a few Qs from her ADCH, awesome temperament, nice structure, overall very healthy. Only health issue is spay incontinence, which wouldn't be an issue if she were intact! LOL

Kestrel: really not sure - he was neutered way early so I think a lot of his structure is due to that (he's uber leggy), but I wouldn't think he was breed worthy if that was his "real" structure if left intact. I like his temperament (very social, good with other dogs, not environmentally sensitive), but he does have some focus issues that we continue to work through. I'd want more titles on him if he were intact and I was considering breeding.

Aeri: too soon to tell. I really like a lot of her personality/drives, but she hasn't competed enough imo to make a final call breed worthiness-wise. Structurally, she's what I'd want. She's a little more environmentally sensitive than I'd like, but her super fast bounceback generally makes up for it. The variety in her littermate's temperaments would make me pause a bit as well.

Snipe: Like Aeri, too young and doesn't have enough titles at this time. I do like how she's put together, she's got awesome drive, esp for a random mix, super keen on training, very athletic, environmentally sound, etc. But she does occasionally show some snarkiness with other household dogs that I'm not a huge fan of. She's also a little more handler sensitive than I personally like, but I think many other people would appreciate the balance she has in that area.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Bite Club

Riley: Hell no. Unless your only requirement is a giant freak Malinois
The cons definitely outweigh the pros in his situation. Which is too bad because he is extremely intelligent and powerful when he can be kept under his threshold.

Aura: Still going to say no because she is from the same gene pool as Riley and I also don't have traceable lines to draw from (knpv is all I know). However if it were hypothetically based just on her temperament and health alone, and it was guaranteed that the puppies would be just like her in this magical world, then I'd say yes, because she's pretty awesome.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 02-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

Atlas- I vote yes just going my his lineage and how he is developing thus far. But at 4 months that can very easily change to a huge no.

Enoch-Yes, in that he is phenomenal for me I could own 10 of him and be perfectly happy but I couldnt in good conscious unleash more of him on the world I think 90% of dog owners would find him absolutly unbearable :P
Old 02-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Sit! Good dog.

What a loaded question!

Bodhi.... Well, I'd have more of her. There's lots I love about her!!!

Fred. No, I wouldn't breed him if you asked me today!! For one, I am still working out how he's going to turn out. He changes almost weekly. He has MASSIVE feet, and I'm wondering if he'll ever grow into them I like his build in a lot of areas, but some I'm waiting to see how they'll end up. His personality is just fantastic, but I couldn't see him ever (ever) being a working dog......... Which is important in a gundog, but I suppose not if you never have any intentions of using them for purpose!! A lot of gsp people do like dual purpose dogs. He's probably a bit too submissive and not confident enough for that, but his confidence is growing all the time.

I just wouldn't feel good about breeding him 'just because.....'. Who knows what wonderful things we might get up to over the next few years though and what kind of dog he will become!! I'm only just learning about the breed, so I'd be a pretty poor judge of deciding what is breeding worthy or not. But I'm meeting a lot of people well versed in them, so learning every day
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein