Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-03-2013, 09:33 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Default Breed Suggestions

Not anytime soon, but being now hooked to agility has made me think about the possibility of other breeds. I LOVE my Finkies, but they are not really all about that kind of thing usually (Kimma is an exception, unfortunately).

So here are some things I would like in a dog:
- Drivey, but not ridiculously so
- I love my independent dogs, but I would like a dog that also wants to please. So basically take my Finkies and make them more biddable
- I don't mind grooming, but I prefer a more wash and wear coat. The need for professional grooming wouldn't be a turn off, but ideally it would be something I could just do and maintain by myself. Shedding doesn't bug me, but due to my allergies, I seem to do better with longer-haired breeds
- Between 10-60 lbs
- Aloof with strangers
- I enjoy having a rare breed, so I wouldn't mind keeping that trend going
- Not DA or SSA
- Doesn't have to be particularly cuddly or velcro
- Noise doesn't bother me (obviously LOL)
- Medium-high energy, as this dog would mainly (hopefully) be used for agility

Thanks in advance

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

well I would say a Westie, They sound perfect, but some of them can be SSA or DA, but I am sure it would be no problem finding a breeder with dogs that do not add up to that.

Teagan is not SSA/DA, but she does not put up with rude crap.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Kelpie!
Old 02-03-2013, 10:29 PM
SBT Lover!!

More Finkies! Or at least more pictures of them!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:19 AM
Top Dog

Icelandic Sheepdog? One of the members of our agility club who ran Shibas for years got one for similar reasons. Still similar to the things he liked about the nordic breeds, but with more drive and bidability.

She is a very cool dog and runs well at the masters level. Good lord the barking though. I could never do that piece!

Old 02-04-2013, 06:21 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Icelandic Sheepdog? One of the members of our agility club who ran Shibas for years got one for similar reasons. Still similar to the things he liked about the nordic breeds, but with more drive and bidability.

She is a very cool dog and runs well at the masters level. Good lord the barking though. I could never do that piece!
I have loved the Icelandic Sheepdogs that I have met, save the barking!! So if barking doesn't bother you, then I second this suggestion

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Sport Model Pug

Besides wanting a breed that is aloof with strangers, a FCR could work! I find they're not "zomg molest all strangers with kisses" in the way they'd go out of their way to stop focusing on the task at hand to visit a stranger, but most flat coats don't know what a stranger is when introduced. From my experience they seem to fit everything else.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 02-04-2013, 11:49 PM
Top Dog

I was almost thinking Pyr Shep...but I don't know a whole lot about them other than what people have written on this forum . Maybe the pyrshep people could chime in.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:06 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ohhhh those are PRETTY. Again, never would have thought of them. I would definitely have to meet a few before deciding. Wonder if there are any breeders near me... I don't think I've seen any at trials near me, but then again, I haven't been to too many trials anyway
I know the one that I know was imported from Iceland. I don't think it was hugely expensive. She is really a very cool dog. Handy size (runs 16" championship), quite fast, and has been fairly competitive both is USDAA, AKC, and AAC. She was the top Icelandic at AKC Nationals or Invitationals or whatever they had recently, and I believe ran clear in every round.

She's also a "short" coat, which is apparently relative, but I like it better than the really puffy ones. It's still longer than the Finkies I think, but not 'poof' everywhere!

Old 02-05-2013, 06:40 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
If your goal is more competitive agility, why not go for a border collie? They fit everything except the rare breed thing, but you could always try to look for a rare color I guess?
Getting a BC just for the agility aspect is not a good idea. There are plenty of breeds that can be competitive in agility. It is much better to go with a dog that fits what you want as a pet first and foremost.

I love BCs but I hate the notion that 'Well, I want a competitive agility dog... better go get myself a BC'. It doesn't do the owners, the individual dogs, or the breed any favors.

Anyways, my first thought was some of the herding spitz. I don't know how they compare to Finkies but I really like Icelandic sheepdogs. Maybe Sammy? German spitz? Lapphund? I really do like the Icelandic spitz idea.