Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-03-2013, 01:25 PM
Big Dog

Default Dog hind leg problem

Lady is a 10 year old Yellow Lab/ Golden Retriever mix. The last 3 days I have noticed that when she is going downhill, her hind legs seem to not work properly, she sits almost involuntarily. Then she will get up and go off like nothing happened. If the hill is steep it may happen again, and it seems worse today than it was 2 days ago. She does not seem to be in pain and walks normally going uphill or on flat ground. It seem the extra weight transfered to her hind legs when going downhill causes the problem. Any ideas?
Old 02-04-2013, 07:31 AM
Love my pets

I would have her checked out by a vet. She might have arthritis in her back legs and require a glucosamine/chrondroitin supplement to help or some meds.
Old 02-04-2013, 10:16 AM
Big Dog

Thanks, I may have to do that. She was showing a little stiffness, so I started her on Ester C, which seems to have helped a lot. The back leg thing is new, and I thought maybe someone had seen a similar problem in a dog.
Old 02-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Love My Mutt <3

That almost sounds like Rosey. Almost. I've never really tested the going uphill theory though

Basically, I woke up one morning and rosey wouldn't get up. I rushed her to the e-vet, where it was discovered she has some spinal arthritis. Now, she'll involuntarily AIT at times, as though her legs give out on her.

Really, there's not much we are doing. Giving her some pain meds when her fall is bad, and living life.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-07-2013, 07:03 AM
Top Dog

Something similar happened to one of my dogs before. Turned out he had a pinched nerve.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Big Dog

Thanks everyone, she hasn't done it very much the last 3 days, hopefully it will correct itself. Still, if anyone else has input, I'd love to hear it.