Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 02-01-2013, 11:17 PM
Top Dog

Default So...breeds?

Well. If I stay on track with my life in general I will be graduated in about a year and a half. Which means (naturally) that in about two years I will have my very own puppy. Because everything always goes according to plan.

Anyway, I thought maybe some of you would help to point me in the right direction. I have no idea what I want. A 'houla isn't out of the question, but to be completely honest it's hard to find a stable dog up north that isn't outright DA/HA or a pillow pet (neither of which I want).

So some basic criteria:
* I want a dog that wants to be with me all the time. There is no such thing as too clingy.
* Between 15 and 100 pounds
* I want a dog that wants to do fun things. Brachy breeds are no bueno. I am a super active person and I spend a lot of time backpacking and hiking and generally being outside
* I don't care if he can do things. My dog doesn't need to reenact a Shakespearean play. I'd like to be able to train him to come. And sit.
* I am not a huge fan of barkbarkbark dogs. My dad has a Coton who is a little too much for me.
* No drool
* I don't like retrievers

Breeds that are currently on the radar: German Shepherd (although I don't know if I could get one after losing my Mammoth), Rough Collie, Brittany, Border Collie, Catahoula Leopard Dog/Catahoula Cur

Anybody?

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 02-01-2013, 11:40 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That's a very open criteria, any specifics on grooming, guarding, and sociability?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

Oh gosh haha I didn't even think to list those things.

* Grooming. Eh. As long as I don't have to get him professionally groomed, I'm not terribly concerned about it. Shedding is fine.
* Guarding. I do like my dogs a little more aloof with strangers, but outright guarding isn't really necessary. I am willing to deal with some guardiness but nothing tremendously serious (so no Filas, Bouvs, etc)
* Sociability. I'd like him to be good with other dogs if socialized properly. Naturally it can't be guaranteed, but I'd love to hedge my bets and try to avoid DA or DR if I can. There will be kids around, as well, and he shouldn't want to eat them

Old 02-02-2013, 12:05 AM
Top Dog

Apparently someone forgot to tell you most catahoulas are very stranger unfriendly. Seriously I've been around them & BMCs off & on for over thirty years and most had the guarding mindset that Filas are reputed to have. Very protective on their own property (like legal liability level) but much better off, very protective of the kids & the wife but not so much the man of the house.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:07 AM
SBT Lover!!

I was going to suggest the Stafford, until I got here. They LOVE everyone, so wouldn't be a good choice...
Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
* Guarding. I do like my dogs a little more aloof with strangers, but outright guarding isn't really necessary. I am willing to deal with some guardiness but nothing tremendously serious (so no Filas, Bouvs, etc)
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Pops: The 'Houla is only in there because I had one and he was well worth the Hell he put me through with his various cur-dog ways

CatSina: I like the Staffies I've met, but the DA/DR worries me a little as well!

Old 02-02-2013, 12:23 AM
Top Dog

Setter? We really need an English Setter on here I can drool over... . They are usually good natured, not overly reactive, loves their owners.

Old 02-02-2013, 12:39 AM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by houlahoops View Post
CatSina: I like the Staffies I've met, but the DA/DR worries me a little as well!
In my experience, they're less DA/DS than some of the other Bull Breeds. I guess, in part, it depends what lines you get the dog from. If you get one from the right lines they should be manageable with proper socialization. Saxon comes to work with me at the pet supply store and meets tons of dogs each day. No matter where the dog comes from, though, they are all stranger friendly!
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I wouldn't recommend a Malinois. I honestly don't for anyone who's not actively seeking them but the potential for lack if sociability and dog intolerance is there. The energy is over the top and annoyingly demanding for most owners.

I think Flyn has the best idea, since the criteria is "nice stable, fun, dog" I would go to a shelter and shop. If you happen to find a purebred that's cool but if not you are bound to find the perfect mix.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:21 PM
Top Dog

I think a mix would be a good choice, since your requirements aren't super specific and you don't need a dog to fit a very specific niche (sports, protection, service dog) in your life.

A ridgeback might be something to look into, as well...although I've seen quite a few get 100+ lbs.

Are you definitely looking for a puppy, or would a young dog suit you?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com