Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
Club Terrible - President

Default What are your views on cropping and docking?

This is a pretty big board, so I figured it'd be a cool question to ask. Keep it civil, please.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
SBT Lover!!

Unless done for medical reasons, I am against both. This goes for declawing and devocalization, as well.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:11 PM
Club Terrible - President

Looks like we're on the same page, Stina.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
Top Dog

I don't understand the reason for it?

So, until someone can give me some logical reasons, I'm not really for it.

But I'm also the type who believes if you need to mess with your breed, you probably shouldn't have that breed. (Excluding 'bettering' genetics. Avoiding deaf and blind genes, etc.)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 02-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm All Ears

We've had this discussion a lot. My opinion is meh. I would rather have a dog left natural with ears/tail/dewclaws. However I am looking at a couple breeds that are altered- one is docked, and the other is docked/cropped traditionally. I would not turn down the right dog from either breed if it were cropped or docked. I am more concerned with how good the breeder/breeding is and if the dog is the right fit.
Twin 2

Personal choice and preference. I would hate to see it banned and I refuse to villainize people who crop and/or dock.

I do think sometimes people romanticize it more than it needs to and I would like to hear "I did it because I prefer how it looks" more often because I think deep down that's the truth for most people's decision to crop or dock. But I don't fault them for that at all.

There are some breed I like the look of cropped/docked and others I like not cropped/docked.
Old 02-03-2013, 03:01 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Personal choice and preference. I would hate to see it banned and I refuse to villainize people who crop and/or dock.

I do think sometimes people romanticize it more than it needs to and I would like to hear "I did it because I prefer how it looks" more often because I think deep down that's the truth for most people's decision to crop or dock. But I don't fault them for that at all.

There are some breed I like the look of cropped/docked and others I like not cropped/docked.
This exactly.

I doubt I'll ever own a breed whose standard is to crop, but I intend to always have a breed whose standard is to dock (even though my current representative of said breed has her tail). I am not into conformation, but most of the breeders that I'd buy from will dock their dogs' tails. I prefer the look, TBH, although my little tailed girl is quite precious as well.

Dewclaws, IMO, are vestigial appendages that don't really serve a purpose. I think they're more trouble than they're worth, and have seen countless cases where they've been ripped off or otherwise snagged with normal play.

That being said, I am also fine with declawing kittens during their speuter surgery, provided that adequate analgesia is utilized pre, peri and post operatively. I am less comfortable with an 8, 10, 18# cat being declawed, but there again, if it comes down to the claws or the cat (to paraphrase sassafrass), I'd choose the cat. Two of my personal cats are declawed and I've seen nothing negative in regards temperament or physical ability.
my delicate little flower

Old 02-03-2013, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenFlower View Post
Dewclaws, IMO, are vestigial appendages that don't really serve a purpose. I think they're more trouble than they're worth, and have seen countless cases where they've been ripped off or otherwise snagged with normal play.
Rear dewclaws are vestigial. Front dews are very much functional, and used. Pirate broke one of his dews when he got himself run over by my bicycle (he jumped into the wheel, it really was his own fault), and I got a little obsessive about it at the vet, that he would not have to have the toe amputated. So far, the claw hasn't grown back normally, but I'm still hopeful that it will, it often takes a toenail awhile to recover after being lost. And at least he still has the toe, so he has some of the grippy ability.

My dogs use their dews to hold onto things, ie; bones they are chewing on while lying on their backs. They also use them to grip in tight turns, when the foot flattens out. Having seen how much they use them, I wouldn't dream of removing them.

That said, I don't find amputation of the dew claws to be particularly cruel, it's done at such a young age, I think the pups recover without any real trauma. Declawing a cat is a much more traumatic experience, and like others, I think declawed cats are way more likely to bite. (this is based on my exposure to them when I worked for a vet, none of my personal cats have been declawed)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
Not my dog not my business and it shouldn't be anyone else's business either.
I've seen people make the same exact point regarding animal cruelty laws. The dog is theirs so they should be able to whatever they please with it and animal cruelty laws should be repealed.

Banning ear cropping would be just like any other addition to current animal welfare laws.
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
Unless done for medical reasons, I am against both. This goes for declawing and devocalization, as well.
Pretty much me. But by me being personally against, I'm not saying I think it should be banned necessarily either.

Brit & Jackson