Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

Default House cleaning/organizing tips/resources?

My family is calling it "nesting"...I'm calling it "this was supposed to be a temporary living situation and now I'm staying longer and no way in heck am I living with people's skeevy hoarder mess."

My Mom isn't really a hoarder in like the typical sense...but she definitely has hoarder tendencies and just does not bother to throw stuff out (I'm not talking about like "garbage" food, etc...but old mail, cords to things we no longer have, the manuals to the past 9 toasters we've owned, every single birthday card ever, toys I don't even remember having but apparently have some sentimental value...)

Over the weekend I went through most of the kitchen drawers, a secretary in our living room, a hutch in the dining room, and threw out at least 5-10 large garbage bags of mostly old papers and a plethora of other junk, as well as gathered a set of plastic drawers + another drawer full of stuff for a yard sale.

It hasn't made a dent. Any tips for stuff like pots/pans/pantry organizing...winter coat/accessory storage/organizing...laundry room organization....ETC. Links to good sites or articles on it, pictures of your own super organized houses, and so on.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-29-2013, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

OMG my dads house is the same way. My stepmom is like your mom - not really a "hoarder" per say but just... crap is always everywhere. And I am NOT the neatest person in the world but it drives me NUTS.

We still have boxes upstairs from when we moved in. And tons of storage bins of my bro's old toys sitting in the loft upstairs, when it could be made sooo nice.

I don't really wanna take the time to try and make it better because whenever I clean, etc, it just gets bad again the next day.

So yeah suggestions I am looking forward to hearing.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

No suggestions, sorry. I wouldn't touch anything in my parents' house--it's theirs. It was a huge relief to have my own house that I could organize to my standards of neatness! Hopefully the stars align and you can find your own place before too long.

Can you at least have an area that is comfortable for you? I know in my parents' home, I hated the dining room (the catch all for everything) and wouldn't step foot in any bedroom but my own because the chaos drove me insane. I had my own room though that was tidy and sparse and made me happy.
Old 01-29-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

I'm not planning on moving out any time soon. There's no financial reason or any reason like that as to why I can't...I don't want to. For one, I have a seizure history, and I'm not comfortable being alone with an infant full time, and a lot of time I can't go out by myself because of medical issues. Secondly, even if my health was better, there isn't really any good reason for me to move out. I live completely rent free with people who I get along with better than I'd get along with most roommates, and I wouldn't live alone even if I could afford it, I'd rather have other people around.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-29-2013, 05:32 PM
Top Dog

All I can say is good luck and work on little goals - one closet/area at a time.

Make it quick - garbage, donate, keep and the keep must have a place to go right there and then too - no 'I'm going to keep it but have no place for it' sorta thing.

Keep in mind you can hang on to the 'donate' and 'toss' for a few days in case you change your mind, that makes it easier to dump things out and go quickly through something.

Also have in mind a 'reasonable' number for things - like for one person, do you really, really, really need 20 bath towels, or would 5-6 do depending on how you do things (we reuse towels a few times here, some people are grossed out by that and wash them every time). That helps with the cut.
Old 01-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Can't fix it. Have your area and keep it clean and be happy. You clean it and they will fill it back up. My mom is bad with clutter, Horrible. I know how it is She will forever live out of boxes and save cvatalogs for years for no reason.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber