Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-13-2013, 08:11 PM
Top Dog

Default How do you store your photos?

I'm trying to get my computer organized...

I'm totally running out of space. So I'm looking into either getting an external harddrive or just getting a new computer all together... I love my macbook, no problems at all with it, had it for 4 years now? Anyway, I'm weird tho, and I prefer to just HAVE all, or at least most of my stuff on my computer. Not on an external harddrive that I have to plug in.

I did have to put all my videos onto burned CDs. They just took up way too much space.

But where do you save your photos, how do you organize them, etc?

I make folders for each year, and then sub-folders for each month in that year, and just save it in my 'pictures' folder under 'documents'. I use iphoto to upload them, and edit them, and then delete them from there once edited and saved into the folders.

But I always get unorganized this way and forget which ones I've saved as small images, which ones I've kept as full sized, etc, so I dunno...

Just trying to get more organized

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Flickr

ETA: I try to save only the ones I really like. There's no need for me to have 82 pictures from a day, when 3 or 4 are really good and all I need.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

I try to put all of the originals on a USB stick thing every few months or so. And then Flickr has all of my edited versions.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-13-2013, 08:18 PM
Top Dog

I also use flickr and other free image hosting sites, and have a lot of albums on facebook.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

Ugh, see, I have a HUGE problem with wanting to, like, keep them ALL .... lol. I guess that could be my first step, go through albums and delete some that just are not worth keeping at all.

I get nervous using flickr, facebook, etc, because if something were to happen and site malfunctions or whatnot, I just don't want to lose the pics.

I just remembered I have an account with box.com so maybe I'll start uploading everything there so I know I *have* it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
Ugh, see, I have a HUGE problem with wanting to, like, keep them ALL .... lol. I guess that could be my first step, go through albums and delete some that just are not worth keeping at all
I keep all of mine too, just on the USB sticks now because my computer got bogged down and ran too slow with all of the pictures on it. I used to use discs but they seem to have less room. I have a huge problem with deleting any pictures unless they really suck haha.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

I've been working on this myself..my old computer was chock full, got a new one for Christmas.

Most of my good photos are hosted online. I prefer to keep them 'with' me as well. I had a photo host go under and I lost a LOT of good photos . So I moved the keepers onto a USB stick, and the really special photos to this computer. I'm trying to keep up with deleting the blurry/bad ones as I upload too.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I have an external hard drive. I need to go through all the pictures and move them onto there still, though. lol

I am planning on having one folder on the computer for each pet, with sub-folders in them. I have the original full-size picture and the edited/web version (usually just resized) of them all....

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-13-2013, 08:27 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

First, I have "dog photos" (the majority) and "everything else."
From there it's by year.

Within a single year for "dog photos," I have three folders:
-edited
-originals DSLR
-originals P&S

For "everything else" I don't separate between P&S and DSLR; it's just "edited" and "originals."

I used to cram as many photos onto a DVD as possible and burn them and I just this year saw a Pinterest pin that made me realize that was stupid... so I burn by year. I did cheat and put a few years together to avoid wasting space but I put ENTIRE years together, not just "up through this point" on one and pick that year up on another disc. =P I have them burned as a backup though and leave everything on my computer - but I have a 1 TB drive with plenty of room to do that. If I had to clear off space, I think I would burn backups as usual, then clear the originals off and leave the edited versions. Then if I wanted to look back at my originals, at least the edited version would tell me the date to pull out and pop in.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-13-2013, 08:36 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I have my pictures folder organized by dog, then I have trips, sometimes I'll have a special folder for things like Christmas pictures, ect

I have a photobucket hosting A LOT of old pictures that aren't on my computer. I also am learning to use Flickr and may start just keeping the edited photos there, now that I have photo editing software, and then putting the originals on my 1TB harddrive (if I could find the **** cord)

I'm running into the same issue of lack of space, and inability to delete even bad pictures. I'm also looking into Dropbox.