Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Top Dog

Default Is it ever too cold for your dogs to go out?

The high for today is -15 degrees. I took Schaffer on a walk and he was fine. I then tried to take Kailey out. Five minutes in, she just sat down on the sidewalk and looked at me like "yeah, no. We're going home."
Of course, when we got home, she spazzed out and zoomed around the house like a crazy dingo. It'd better warm up soon, or this dog may find herself being shipped out to Cali with my brother.

Are your dogs winter wusses like Kailey, or does the cold not effect them as much?

EDIT: Whoops, posted this in the wrong place. Sorry!
Old 01-13-2013, 02:55 PM
Love My Mutt <3

The minute snow touches the ground, there's no making Rosey go out.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-13-2013, 03:06 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

The cold doesn't seem to matter much. Mine are all double coated and pretty sturdy. They don't like the rain though! I will say that the Mal is pretty slick-coated and skinny, and if it's below like 45, she'll shiver unless she does something vigorous to warm up. But for plain walks she needs her fleece jacket.

But of course, she won't acknowledge that she's cold. LOL

Old 01-13-2013, 03:30 PM
APBT crazy!

Well they go out any way but right now it's 2* F. They can't really stand out to go than do more than their business but Dixie still insists you play fetch with her. We play a few times and then it's back inside.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

I live in AZ now, where people want to curl up and die when it's 20 degrees. (probably myself included, as I hate the cold) My dogs were fine when I lived in IL though. Even Jules. I still hibernate indoors when it's cold. If I had to walk my dogs for pee runs, we'd be in a horrible state.

Rain, though. Aesop dies in the rain.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:26 PM
Top Dog

The Dobermans, obviously due to their lack of coat, get cold easily. They have winter jackets that help, and they'll happily go to the park in any temperature because that's exciting, but once it hits below zero they look disgusted at just going out in the yard for bathroom breaks or to play. They get cold at the park as well, but they don't care. That's more worth their while than just going out in the yard haha. I have to insist they go outside on cold days. They try to refuse. Especially Keira - Ripley is braver against the weather.

Journey gets cold easily. Her puppy fluff doesn't seem to keep her that well insulated. I'm sure once her adult coat comes in she'll handle the cold better. But even so, she loves the snow/cold and will go out and play no matter the weather. I have to go fetch her and bring my shivering, happy, snow plowing puppy inside haha.

Dance will happily go out in any temperature as well, but she gets cold quickly at about -15 to -20 depending on where her own fur coat is at. She tends to blow her coat right before winter, which means that for much of the winter, she's not that well insulated against the cold. But she has a winter jacket for those really cold days too which allows her to stay out for a long time. Her feet don't handle the cold well, though. She definitely enjoys park outings more with boots on.

I, OTOH, don't tend to take my dogs out unless I have to if the weather is colder than -15 or so. I don't like the cold for one thing. I worry about the Dobermans' ears for another. And really, my dogs don't *need* to go out for a run every day. So if I skip a few days or a week here and there, they might be a tad antsy in the house, but not enough for me to freeze myself and them to go on a walk/run.

The one thing the Dobermans do hate with a passion is the rain. I hate rain + Keira. It's super annoying. I literally have to stand at the door and force her to go out and repeat her bathroom word a million times to get her to do anything, or crate her in the house so she doesn't decide to forget she's housebroken. Ripley will begrudgingly go out and do what he needs to do at least. And playing in the rain is not an option for Keira. Ripley will for a few minutes. With that said though, both will happily run around the park in a downpour. It's just at home/in the yard that they despise rain and cold, because again, it's just not fun/exciting enough I suppose. Dance doesn't care about the rain at all, and Journey didn't seem to care when it was raining at her breeder's house either last month. We'll see what she thinks in the spring, although I doubt she'll care.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 01-14-2013, 01:04 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Josefina loves loves the cold, she will play (by herself, with all the other dogs looking at her like she is crazy lol) in the cold, the rain, the rain AND cold. Bear doesn't like to go out unless he has his blankets on when it's cold. Yumi is like super double Coated so the cold doesn't bother her, buddy doesn't mind unless its raining, if its raining then I kinda have to push him out lol.

Old 01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Art hasn't been as much of a woose as usual, but since everything is more ice than snow his feets get cold and he refuses to move. He sits there and shakes and alternates picking up his feet and shaking them. It almost looks like he is having a seizure And it's only in the upper 10's to low 20's F.

Talon prefers it. He whines and get's uppity if the house get's above 60F.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:43 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Under 60 degrees is **** near torture for my pit bulls, they'd die in a location with snow throughout winter.

My Malinois don't seem to notice but I have been worried a few times about Sloan, not that it stops her. Backup never shows signs of being too cold but he has more coat than she does, it may help.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:05 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post

My Malinois don't seem to notice but I have been worried a few times about Sloan, not that it stops her.
Yeah, that's the thing. Blossom will just pretend she's fine while she shivers and shakes. I tell her she has to wear her jacket because she's not allowed to waste calories shivering.