Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Twin 2

Default Silken Windhounds & Long Haired Whippets

Can the owners of these two breeds tell me a bit about them? I know that's super open ended but I really would just like an overview of them since I don't know a ton other than I adore how they look.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:54 PM
Just try me..

LHW are like whippets. Happy bouncy and a bit terrierish. Silkens are more like Zoi, more dignified and aloof.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:06 PM
and Spy.

I love the look of those breeds too. Very aesthetically pleasing

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Top Dog

My friend breeds Silken Windhounds, I can link you to her on FB if you want. She is huge into the breed.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 AM
Top Dog

Logan thinks Silkens are sexy, even if they're boys and neutered. That's all I really know. We were crated next to a silken at our last dog show and HOLY CRAP THE FLIRTS.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:27 AM
Top Dog

I have a major breed crush on both of those breeds. Possibly more towards the SWH today. Tomorrow I might like the LHW more. I don't think I'd be a good sighthound owner and the husband doesn't like the look of sighthounds, but I luffs them. Luffs them lots.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 01-14-2013, 06:38 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Whippets are amazing and you need one or five so I can live vicariously through you. My dream is to have a SHW and a LHW. I'm 99.999999% sure my next dog will be a whippet, but I'm not sure whether it will be LH or SH.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 01-14-2013, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Interested in hearing about them too. I have a Silken crush and there is nothing I would like more than to be surrounded by a pack of nutty whippets.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Twin 2

Pintage! Speedydogs! Get in here!
Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM
Allons-y!

Default expres EAPerti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Pintage! Speedydogs! Get in here!
Goodness, so demanding! But yes ma'am

Do you have any questions? I’ll try to give an overview but let me know if you think of anything specific. I hope you can get something out of my ramblings!

They are fun dogs, and generally very easy to live with. Happy and very bouncy – when they’re amped, keeping four feet on the ground is optional. They have a sense of humor but are not really goofy, if that makes sense. Definitely people-oriented dogs– they are sweet, affectionate, and very cuddly. They are not really velcro dogs, though. They like knowing where you are, and being generally near you, but if they’re settled they’re not going to get up to follow you from room to room. Definitely comfort-seekers; they are great at finding the warmest, softest spot in the house.

I’d say they’re about medium on the energy scale. They definitely enjoy exercise, and are athletic enough to take as much as you can give them, but they don’t require a whole lot of it. One of my favorite things about them is their off-switch: when they’re on, they’re on, but otherwise they’re content to spend most of the day lounging around and being as lazy as I am. If it’s a really busy day, they’re fine with a 10-minute sprint in the backyard. They will get antsy after a few days with minimal exercise, though. Mine have agility once a week and often come hiking or skiing on the weekends. I know people that jog or bike with them, if you’re into that. They really do love running, and it tires them out better than anything else. Being sighthounds, they obviously have quite a bit of prey drive. However, they seem to do quite well off-leash, as long as you take the time to train a decent recall. I can trust Cricket nearly 100%, and have called her back to me mid-chase numerous times. They settle down very well in the house, and are good at entertaining themselves when needed. Usually pretty quiet and non-barky, unless they see something they'd like to chase but can't get at.

Good pack dogs – they usually get along very well with others. Generally pretty submissive around other dogs, and if they find themselves in a situation they don't like, they much prefer to walk away from it than anything else. They do have kind of a unique play style, though. Mine do not like pushy, in-your-face dogs and have no problem telling off dogs they perceive as rude.

Good people dogs, too. They bond closely with their owners, but tend to be pretty outgoing with strangers. Not in an “instant best friend” way, but they will happily go up and greet new people. Very polite, gentle, stable dogs in public - there are many longhaired whippets working as successful therapy dogs. They are definitely my idea of “go anywhere do anything” dogs, always up for whatever you’re up for. That being said, socialization is very important, and there is a tendency toward shyness if a puppy isn't introduced to enough new things.

I find them very trainable. They are somewhat sensitive and don’t take corrections well, but with positive methods, they are fast learners, responsive, focused, and eager to work. Mine are very fun to work with, and Cricket has been a great agility partner. Training does have to be fun for them to do well, and they’re not big fans of repetition; I try to keep sessions short and varied. They are food-driven and many are quite toy-driven as well.

One of my favorite things about the LHW community in the US is the emphasis on versatility. Nearly every breeder I know competes in at least lure coursing/racing as well as conformation, and over half compete in other sports as well (mostly agility, with some flyball, rally, and nosework). There's a big emphasis placed on temperament.

So there you have it - I'm probably forgetting things but it's an overview at least. I like them quite a lot, if you couldn't tell

I don’t have very much experience with silkens; the few I’ve met have been, as Dekka said, much more like Borzoi in temperament – more aloof and dignified, more laid-back, and less bouncy. I’m sure Pintage would be of more help here than I am.

Quote:
I have a question for you guys. I know greyhounds are prone to bloat, are Silkens and Whippets as well?
I can't speak for silkens, but bloat seems to be very uncommon in whippets.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!