Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

Default Anal glands

How often do you guys get your dogs' anal glands expressed? I've never met a dog who needs them done as frequently as Chester - I think I end up having to do it about every 2-3 months - and I know most of my dog owning family/friends never have to get it done. I've never quite gotten the hang of how to visually tell, and he's not a very smelly dog in general so that doesn't help much. I take him in to have it done when he starts scooting - sometimes the vet, sometimes the groomer, depending on what else he needs. A couple of times the vet commented on how full they were, too. Did Chester just get the short straw on the anal glands?
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM
orange iguanas.

My two never have it done.

Every 2-3 months doesn't sound too bad, I know we've had clients who were in every 2-3 WEEKS for their dog's anal glands. Definitely seems to be more of an issue with small dogs.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Okay, good! I know that it's one of those every dog is individual, but it feels weird when you're the only one around getting it done! Thanks.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

If you can learn how to express them yourself, it's a lot easier on you and the dog in the long run. My dogs haven't ever had an issues but I express them whenever they're getting a bath anyways. It's a good time for me to make sure there's nothing abnormal going on.

For the record, I am betting your groomer does them externally and your vet does them internally... I'd likely choose my vet over a groomer based on that alone.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Top Dog

I haven't seen my groomer do it, but my vet just takes some gauze with... I think rubbing alcohol on it and presses them. I haven't watched closely because I'm holding him and I have a pathetically weak stomach, but that would be expressing them externally, yes? How would you go about expressing them internally? Would internal expression make the break between expressions longer?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzigane View Post
I haven't seen my groomer do it, but my vet just takes some gauze with... I think rubbing alcohol on it and presses them. I haven't watched closely because I'm holding him and I have a pathetically weak stomach, but that would be expressing them externally, yes? How would you go about expressing them internally? Would internal expression make the break between expressions longer?
Internal expression just generally insures that the sacs are as empty as they would get if the dog expressed them on his own.

I agree though, if you could add some bone content, it may help him express those anal glands on his own more regularly.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-07-2013, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Is it possible to give him a raw meal once a week? Chicken backs and necks for example? If you did that, it might express them naturally instead.

I don't express my guys at all, never seems to be an issue. Raw diet thing...
Old 01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilter View Post
Is it possible to give him a raw meal once a week? Chicken backs and necks for example? If you did that, it might express them naturally instead.

I don't express my guys at all, never seems to be an issue. Raw diet thing...
That's doable. Just feed them raw as a treat? Am I correct in my understanding that raw bones are also good for dental care?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:26 PM
Sport Model Pug

Iz will be getting hers done every couple months as she's had 2 ruptures within 8 months of each other with no warning signs despite having good poops and being completely raw fed. There was no problem before last march or so...

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Top Dog

I've had two dogs with problem anal sacs. My Beagle/Lab mix Blackie had on side that had problems for years, getting infected all the time. Finally, the vet said that if his "last battle" didn't work, it would have to be removed. That battle was bringing her in DAILY for squeezing, and injection (With a ball tipped needle) of a potion of antbiotics, along with oral meds, for two weeks, then 2 more weeks of oral meds if she looked good at that point. It worked! She had no more issues and only needed them done a couple times a year. King had similar issues, worse actually, but for a shorter time, and after several tries at treatment, we decided to remove it. He had zero problems except with pain a couple of days after surgery, and even removed his own stitches! He never had to have the other one emptied out, ever. Good luck.