Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,044
Default Finding a guy when you don't really go 'out'

So, a spin-off of the other thread.

How can you find a guy when you never really go 'out'? I never go barhopping, I typically just go out with close girl friends for dinner/movies/etc, etc. I'm at a community college, where my chances of finding someone nice enough is rare, LOL. I don't see many from high school anymore. But I'd feel kind of dumb signing up for one of those online sites, too... lol. I'm not really religious, so I'd feel weird finding a church group, but it would be nice to find more things to be involved in, other than dog-related activities.

I don't know, anyone else ever any similar situations? How did you find your SO? And don't get me wrong, I'm not necessarily in the market right now. I'm somewhat content with being single for now (I'm 22 and still living at home). I am aiming to be out in about a year and a half after getting my medical assistant degree. But I really would love to find a good guy to do things with, companionship, and all that fun stuff...

I guess just advice! That it's not totally hopeless!
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,388
Default

I met my ex at a martial arts class.. perhaps try taking a class in something you are interested in?

meetup.com is awesome! meet up with people who share your interests, from board games to wine tastings to all kinds of things! It's not a dating site but it will get you out with people who are interested in the same thing as you.. and many of the people on that site are early 20's

and find a bar that you like! lol they do exist! I hate clubbing (loud music, close spaces, ick) but I've found some really awesome bars in Boston with game nights and great drinks and awesome people!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I met my ex at a martial arts class.. perhaps try taking a class in something you are interested in?

meetup.com is awesome! meet up with people who share your interests, from board games to wine tastings to all kinds of things! It's not a dating site but it will get you out with people who are interested in the same thing as you.. and many of the people on that site are early 20's

and find a bar that you like! lol they do exist! I hate clubbing (loud music, close spaces, ick) but I've found some really awesome bars in Boston with game nights and great drinks and awesome people!
Thanks, I was gonna go look for some classes, and I always forget about meetup.com... This is going to be one of my new years resolutions ... just get out and DO more things!

There are a few bars local that I don't mind, but I will never really go by myself, LOL. I just can't see myself doing that. And it's so hard to get me and my close friends together on the same nights... everyone has such different schedules, jobs, family, boyfriends etc...
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:47 PM
Picklepaige's Avatar
Picklepaige Picklepaige is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mississippi
Posts: 1,596
Default

I met my "partner" (we're not exactly dating per say, but we might as well be lol) as a "friend of a friend" sort of deal. I don't really go out either, and I was fine and dandy with being alone the rest of my life. It just kind of happened. But I was never into actually going out and looking for someone; I figured if it did happen, it would be a big coincidence

Sorry I'm no help. Like you, I'm not really into going to bars and clubs and those sort of things. Maybe something will just come together
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:50 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
I met my "partner" (we're not exactly dating per say, but we might as well be lol) as a "friend of a friend" sort of deal. I don't really go out either, and I was fine and dandy with being alone the rest of my life. It just kind of happened. But I was never into actually going out and looking for someone; I figured if it did happen, it would be a big coincidence

Sorry I'm no help. Like you, I'm not really into going to bars and clubs and those sort of things. Maybe something will just come together
That's what I'm hoping! Like I said, I'm not all like 'omg I need to find someone NOW and want to make babies...' LOL. I am in NO hurry at all to settle, but would just like companionship like I said. But am okay and content with my life the way it is, for now, too. But I know eventually I will be looking for more.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Southpaw's Avatar
Southpaw Southpaw is offline
orange iguanas.
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 7,104
Default

Hahaha I was just wondering this like.... last night.

I have a small group of friends and we've known each other for a long time, so it's not like I'm going to meet anyone new from them. I'm out of school, I don't "go out".... so where the heck do I meet people?? Not even just guys.... just anybody new!

I keep telling myself I should take a class of some sort and see what happens. I'm just so painfully shy and my anxiety sky rockets just thinking about trying something new like that, all on my own. But maybe I will push myself to do that, now that I have a job with a consistent schedule so that I CAN sign up for something.

So yeah. You and I. Same boat.
__________________
And if all of it is for naught, well at least I took a shot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:57 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Hahaha I was just wondering this like.... last night.

I have a small group of friends and we've known each other for a long time, so it's not like I'm going to meet anyone new from them. I'm out of school, I don't "go out".... so where the heck do I meet people?? Not even just guys.... just anybody new!

I keep telling myself I should take a class of some sort and see what happens. I'm just so painfully shy and my anxiety sky rockets just thinking about trying something new like that, all on my own. But maybe I will push myself to do that, now that I have a job with a consistent schedule so that I CAN sign up for something.

So yeah. You and I. Same boat.
YAY I'm so glad I'm not alone! lol. You have no idea. Sounds like we're in exactly the same boat.

I agree, not just guys, but people in general.

Dogs have been awesome for new friends, for sure. I have quite a few new friends I've met thru chaz, other forums, dog park, etc. So that's nice. But it's typically all females! lol.
__________________

Brit & Jackson


Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-01-2013, 02:59 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,566
Default

Those "dating" sites Aren't really that bad, tho you have to pay monthly for most of them. Facebook is a good place to meet lots of nice people. Depending on where you are located I have a guy acquaintance (one of my friends on Facebook) who is pretty cute & single & around your age (he's 20) ... Just putting it out there if you are interested.

In all seriousness tho enjoy being single, relationships are hard & there is a LOT of compromise involved when you are attached also a lot of sacrifice. Enjoy your freedom while you can
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-01-2013, 03:04 PM
GipsyQueen's Avatar
GipsyQueen GipsyQueen is online now
<(°°<) <(°°)> (>°°)>
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 5,973
Default

I met my SO through friends (actually through my Ex), so it just fell into place. Though my Ex was actively trying to introduce my SO and I to eachother.
Most of my other Exes I met through friends, or friends of friends.
__________________

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-30-2012, 05:55 PM
sparks19's Avatar
sparks19 sparks19 is offline
I'd rather be at Disney
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 28,310
Default

well, Brian and I met on yahoo chat LOL. Not a dating site or anything. We just came across each other, chatted and... viola.
__________________
Quote:

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”


G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney






Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:14 AM.


©1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site