Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-29-2012, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

Default Craigslist dogs

Anyone ever got a rehome from craigslist?

I know me, and I probably won't do this... here I am totally set on a Border Terrier puppy and I see this little guy on craigslist not too far from me.

I mean, that face. Just tugged at my heart strings. So, of course, naturally I send an email. Thinking they won't respond, he's not available, etc. He's available. He's a 1 year old yorkie mix. A lot of energy, apparently good with kids. She's "moving and can't take with me" (which is what I so often see on CL). Not sure on if he's fixed yet or not. She said she was gonna call. Don't know what she's going to ask for a re-homing fee yet either.

I most likely won't do this, lol... but HAS anyone got a dog from CL or something like it before? I'm always so paranoid that they're giving the dog away because it's unhealthy, or marks all over the place, or something of the sort. I don't know what I'd do if I got a dog and then it had like $1000's worth of medical stuff to be taken care of, or a problem, or is that being dramatic? Maybe it is just someone who is needing a new home for their dog... lol.

Just wondering if anyone else had ever gotten a CL dog, etc, and how it went I guess.

NOT saying I'm doing this... *tells myself not doing this and I NEED my BT puppy*

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I found a home for one of my fosters via facebook, and he was a good dog, and got a great home.

I also know quite a few dogs belonging to friends and clients who were craigslist rehomes. As far as I know none of them have any major issues, at all.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-29-2012, 07:48 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I haven't gotten a dog off Craigslist but I seem to remember several people in my Petfinder poll thread had done so...could check there?

Craigslist is evil We have ACD pups on it all the time here and they are painfully cute puppies.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-29-2012, 07:52 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I have had a couple people in my classes who got their dog off craigslist. Nobody has had any significant issues with them more so than my students with shelter dogs. One dog turned up hip dysplasia after several months, but IMO the breeder didn't know that (she was given away for a different reason.) I had a three year old dog in class the other night who isn't potty trained, that was a shelter dog.
I think it just depends... I know shelters aren't always 100% upfront and honest about issues either...

aaaaand that's all I have to add LOL. Not telling you to get the dog or not...
BUT HE TOTALLY MATCHES.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-29-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I have had a couple people in my classes who got their dog off craigslist. Nobody has had any significant issues with them more so than my students with shelter dogs. One dog turned up hip dysplasia after several months, but IMO the breeder didn't know that (she was given away for a different reason.) I had a three year old dog in class the other night who isn't potty trained, that was a shelter dog.
I think it just depends... I know shelters aren't always 100% upfront and honest about issues either...

aaaaand that's all I have to add LOL. Not telling you to get the dog or not...
BUT HE TOTALLY MATCHES.

Yeah, that's what I worry about. I have a friend who just adopted her second dog and the shelter/rescue was a bit less than honest in describing her. She's suppperrr high energy (way more so than they said) and has a bit of a 'dominant' (I hate that word) personality. They claimed she was real submissive, etc. I know dogs change from shelter life to home, but yeah. I guess I'm just worried about getting a dog and being all "oh sh*t, what did I do?!" whereas I feel more comfortable, in a lot of ways, getting a puppy from a breeder and meeting the parents. I'm not sure but I think Jackson would be better with a puppy, but then again, I could be totally wrong. I just don't really know. I love puppies, but I often think do I really want to put myself through that again... LOL

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM
Duuuuude.

Riff was a CL dog! It was a little different because I had posted a wanted ad, and they responded to it - he was never actually posted on the site. But, it's close enough!

So far he's been pretty much what they told me. High energy, good with other dogs (albeit a little awkward at times), house trained, crate trained at night, pretty healthy. They were giving him up because he was persistently pestering their older dog and it was too stressful for him. Seeing how he is with Rowan, I totally believe that; he's VERY excitable and fairly rude about asking for attention but Rowan is young and willing/able to correct him so it hasn't been a big problem for us. I didn't know that he has a little issue with submissive/excitement urination (not huge, he's only done it a couple of times) but that's also not something I specifically asked about, you know? It's possible he didn't even do it with them and it came on with the stress of switching homes.

Granted he's been here less than a month still, but so far my experience has been good.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 12-29-2012, 07:55 PM
& the Muttly Crew

One question I would want answered is: Are they rehoming both dogs in the picture or just the one? If just the one, then why that one?

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
One question I would want answered is: Are they rehoming both dogs in the picture or just the one? If just the one, then why that one?
I noticed that, too, and was going to ask... definitely made me curious.

Brit & Jackson

Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Arson is a kijiji rehome.. (more popular here than CL). I emailed thinking I'd never get a reply...

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 PM
Top Dog

Not a dog, just 4 sheep from Craigslist. It was my mother's idea, because she really wanted Shetlands, this guy had one available for less as long as it was agreed upon he WASN'T to be food, that is Nigel, and was Larry (he died during his castration ). Ebbie and Loo also came from someone who posted on Craigslist, EXQUISITE fleeces, but Ebbie is still wild poor girl. Wilma and Weena, the twins, came from the sheepie equivalent of a "responsible breeder" on the other hand. But overall our craiglist experiences there weren't really bad. But no, I have not dealt with anything like this for a dog, my childhood companion did come from an add in the paper, local family who had a litter of puppies.