Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-13-2012, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

Default Slip Leads

I was wondering if anyone knew where you could buy good slip leads, I can't find any at the big pet stores, though I will check out our smaller ones soon. I want it so we can easily leash Tucker when someone knocks on the door, so we can answer the door. Right now we have to try and get his collar on while he's flipping out before we can open the door and it isn't working well. For one thing it takes too long which makes us rush and act all panicky. The other thing is he's begun to redirect a little so something that doesn't require us to touch him so much would be good.

The slip lead needs to be easy to get on a flipping out dog. I would also be nice if it didn't put too much pressure on his throat. I mean obviously it's going to tighten, that's what they do, but some of the ones I've seen are super thin and I feel like they must choke something awful, he'll choke on a regular flat collar as it is when he's freaking out. And of course it must be secure, but since he's a small dog I don't think that will be too difficult.

Any ideas?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!

Last edited by Maxy24; 12-13-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Behavior Nerd

Check agility places - they often have cushy padded ones. Clean Run comes to mind.

Ruffwear has rope ones, but they may be too narrow.

Old 12-13-2012, 06:22 PM
Sport Model Pug

You could do a fleece one.

I use Mendota Slip Leads for agility purposes.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 12-13-2012, 06:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

rush to tug <3
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:31 PM
Top Dog

A martingale collar (easily found in almost any pet store) with the leash clipped to it serves the same purpose.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:37 PM
Crazy Dog!

For what you need, a quick on, no fuss, no touching, I'd go with the mendota style rope slip leads.

They last a long time and they are relatively cheap and very easy to use. Espeically with a reactive dog who you might have to just lasso.

All the other fleece leads and martingales are fancier, but for ease of use, you can't beat a regular old rope slip lead.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
^same. I got mine at Jeffers.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutlineACDs View Post
For what you need, a quick on, no fuss, no touching, I'd go with the mendota style rope slip leads.

They last a long time and they are relatively cheap and very easy to use. Espeically with a reactive dog who you might have to just lasso.

All the other fleece leads and martingales are fancier, but for ease of use, you can't beat a regular old rope slip lead.
This is what we have for quick leashing purposes. Soft on the hands, easy to slip on the dogs
Old 12-14-2012, 08:57 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
This is what we have for quick leashing purposes. Soft on the hands, easy to slip on the dogs
I always keep one in each vehicle just in case. You never know when you might need a leash and they hold up so well.

I use other leads for walking, agility, etc, but always keep a mendota around.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:52 AM
Top Dog

Thank you guys, I think I'll go for a mendota type one, seems like the best for our purposes. My parents will be able to put it on without having to bend over too much which is good, my mom has awful arthritis and slipped discs and fibromyalgia, the less bending and maneuvering she has to do the better (and faster).

Now that we are getting a bunch of UPS guys knocking on the door for us to sign for packages the more we need an easy way to get him away from the door. My brother didn't even bother answering for the UPS guy the other day because he didn't know what to do with the dog. I have since instructed him to leash him FIRST, open door carefully with Tucker on a very short leash in case the person is standing with the outer door open, tell person to hold on one second (with hand signal in case they can't hear you over the barking ), go put tucker in the bathroom, come back and tend to person. He had to do it yesterday while we were out and didn't say anything bad happened so that's good. The slip leash would just make it all go smoother I think, especially for my arthritic mother who has trouble bending and getting his collar on.

Quote:
Don't forget you can always loop a leash through itself and have an instant slip lead, for the time being if you need it.

However...you might want to work on really solidifying a sit or down stay, or send to a mat. Regardless of the dog's opinion of the scary person at the door, if you have those commands solidified, you should be able to override it if you take some time teaching it.
I have used his leashes as slips before but his current leash is a lupine so it has the big handle on it and so that part would be up against his neck and I feel like it wouldn't be as secure, it doesn't stay tight because the handle doesn't want to bend easily. We do have an old leash we can use if we have to though until we get an actual slip lead.

Normally I'd agree with a solid stay of some sort, but I honestly don't think any amount of training would persuade him to stay in the face of someone at the door, NOTHING is more important to him than going after strangers at the door. I don't know how much thinking he's even capable of doing when someone is at the door. It is by far the absolute worst he gets, the level of frantic is frightening. In the summer when we leave the wooden door open so there is just the glass door there, there have been times when I didn't notice the mail person was here and he runs to the glass door and I'm pretty sure if he were larger he would go through it to get her.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!