Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Agility and Dog Sports

Old 01-13-2005, 08:55 PM
Pap Pup

Question Papillons as Agility Dogs

I have a 12 week male Papillon and he is extremely smart. He is one of the smartest animals I have ever lived with (including a corgi and border collie - and they were SMART!).

I have been told to look into agility classes for him but I have some concerns. He is 2.7 lbs now and will only be about 6 lbs full grown. He is VERY fast, agile and listens intently but I have always seen larger breeds in agility (border collies, shelties and the smallest I have ever seen was a jack russell). Then again I have not seen many agility trials - only a few on TV. Has anyone ever owned or known of a Pap that did agility?

I thank you for whatever info you might have..... oh, and little Domino thanks you as well!
Old 03-17-2005, 04:53 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I have never seen Paps doing agility but I'm sure it could be done. There is no reason why they shouldn't be able to compete. I've seen Pap's in fly ball competitions and that looks to be a lot more strenous. I'd say go for it I bet your dog would do really well. I have seen a few smaller breed dogs doing agility competitions.
Old 03-17-2005, 05:07 PM
Felurian

Akasha, it can't be any worse than me wondering about getting the Filas into agility! I would think a Papillon could do very well, and they certainly have the stamina and athleticism for agility.

The only problem I can see with Shiva doing it is that her approach to all obstacles is just to knock them over and go on through.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-18-2005, 06:27 PM
mostly ignored...

I am pretty sure that I have seen papillons in agility comps (though some of the border collies were so small maybe I was confused? ) anyway, if jack russels can do it, and poodles can do it then I am sure your pup could! good luck! (post picks if you actually have him try it, I bet it would be cute to see :-D)
Old 03-20-2005, 12:05 AM
Felurian

You know, come to think about it, Ripley, Rip's Girl's little Papillon, does some agility! I think there is a photo of him flying over something in the Members' Galleries.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Felurian

Here's Ripley flying over the hurdles: http://www.chazhound.com/pictures/sh...cat=500&page=2

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 03-20-2005, 12:36 AM
Island dweller

That's just the cutest thing! Now I want one.

I hope we get to see pics like that from you AkashaO
Old 03-23-2005, 04:43 AM
Show Dog

Paps are a very very good agility breed and very commonly used in the mini classes they have an extramly good height weight ratio for jumping.

here is the results from the 2004 world championships theres alot of paps in there

http://www.lhbsystems.nl/wc2004/default.asp
Old 03-27-2005, 05:01 AM
BusterLove

hey, put your dog in agility
i saw a pic yesterday of a chiwahwah doing agility and loving it.
your pap's compact size may well proove to be an advantage in the course, the only concern would be him jumping off the dogg walk or A-frame, Im sure with good training, that could easiy be avvoided as he would probably not favour throwing himself to the ground anyway .
Old 03-27-2005, 09:53 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
hey, put your dog in agility
i saw a pic yesterday of a chiwahwah doing agility and loving it.
your pap's compact size may well proove to be an advantage in the course, the only concern would be him jumping off the dogg walk or A-frame, Im sure with good training, that could easiy be avvoided as he would probably not favour throwing himself to the ground anyway .
alot of smaller dogs have natural running stride patterns