Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 04:24 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Default "It's a Dachshund Thing"

So, someone I know is trying to rehome a 12 year old dachshund, with the simple description, "Not housetrained. It's a Dachshund thing."

o.O Wut?

This is apparently a widespread belief? People get dachshunds and are like, "Oh yeah, cool, it will poop/pee all over my house for it's entire life and there is nothing I can do about it." ?

Is this actually a thing, or is this just another side effect of stupid/lazy dog owners (which is what I suspect)?

Please, enlighten me if I'm way off track here... LOL!

ETA: Nevermind the rehoming a 12 year old dog part. That's a whole 'nother story in itself...
Old 12-09-2012, 04:26 PM
Top Dog

I think it's a pretty normal belief of all small dogs. I think part of it is laziness. Part of it is the fact that apparently some people seriously just set up places for their tiny dogs to pee/poop in the house like cats.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:29 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I think it's a pretty normal belief of all small dogs. I think part of it is laziness. Part of it is the fact that apparently some people seriously just set up places for their tiny dogs to pee/poop in the house like cats.
See... even if the dog were using a litter box or a puppy pad, I would consider that "housetrained". This person (people?) are stating that dachshunds are incapable of being trained to eliminate appropriately at all! THAT is what's blowing my mind here.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:47 PM
Wookie Collie

I've heard that doxies are much more prone to urinary issues and are difficult to housetrain, but I have no idea how true any of it is.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

I've heard a lot of people say that about doxies and I have no idea why.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:49 PM
Glutton for Crazy

It is harder to housebreak small dogs, for the most part, but yeah it's not like impossible.

Lame.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:51 PM
Resident fainting goat

I walk two doxies and they are very much housetrained! They will wait so politely and then run to a patch and grass and go..it's the kind of thing where you can tell they've been holding it.

As with most small breeds, it's usually 100% laziness. People start with puppy pads, and get lazy with that ("oh he goes..in the area around the pad..you know") then the dog just goes in the room where the pad is.. then the whole house is a free for all..then it's just "oh whatever he goes anywhere". Once you get used to having animal feces in your house I guess it's not a huge leap.

Yes, small dogs have smaller bladders and it's easier for them to sneak off to go.. but by no means are they impossible to housetrain.
Old 12-09-2012, 04:54 PM
orange iguanas.

I think small dogs are more difficult but I don't think I would ever say a breed is incapable of being housebroken. Sounds like laziness to me!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Pfft. I was told Coconut the old as dirt Shih Tzu was incapable to housetrain due to medical issues and peed in crates. It took a little while but she is pretty close to housebroken now. I think small dogs are a little more difficult but not 'impossible' due to breed.

I did know an Italian Greyhound that issues with that, he lived with a dog person (a groomer) and had to be tied out during the day. She said he got adopted and returned like 5 times because people thought they could housebreak him and they could not.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
So, someone I know is trying to rehome a 12 year old dachshund, with the simple description, "Not housetrained. It's a Dachshund thing."...
Somebody forgot to tell my best friend and her Mini Dachshund that. Small dogs are harder to housebreak because of smaller bladders. The there's the fact that, because they are small, it's easy to sneak off and pee/poop behind furniture, etc. But, as others have said, it can be done.