Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-09-2012, 11:18 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Question Does your dog feel the cold?

Bodhi can swim in the river in winter and still want more. Fred has to wee in the rain and he's shivering. He's such a pansy!!!

Will he man up as he grows? Or will he always need special treatment. He is much happier going out in his coat.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-09-2012, 11:26 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Pit bulls melt in the rain, it's a sad epidemic that has been around for years.

My pit bulls wear coats and jammies and other silly things traditionally reserved for toy dogs.

My malinois will swim in icewater and then fall over walking from cramps because they pushed themselves too far. Some dogs have better self preservation than others. LOL

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Pit bulls melt in the rain, it's a sad epidemic that has been around for years.
This! And something terrible is bound to happen if their little hineys touch wet ground.

Tallulah doesn't like the cold. She wears size 6 or 6X in a child's sweatshirt quite nicely, although I really should knuckle down and make her some jackets.

Bimmer's pretty cold proof, and the only times I've seen Kharma look uncomfortable were once when we'd gone for a night walk and the temps were in the low 20s, she was perfectly happy until we started up the last hill toward home and the wind cranked up; the other time was when we had no heat at the house in February and she was thrilled to get under the covers and sleep.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Ho ho ho off.

Bodhi could teach Fred a thing or two... but she's too busy being hardcore. I have seriously thinking of getting him an 'indoor coat' (aka PJS!!). He got a bath last night (another thing I never have to do to Bodhi - Fred mings), and he was all sappy and whiney and sorry for himself after. I wrapped him in a towel and sat him in front of the fire and he was still being a diva and shivering.....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

For an all purpose hunting dog my gs pointer, Mary's DAd was the biggest cold foot weenie in the whole world. I swear he would practically walk on his toenails to avoid stepping on cold ground. Pepper and Victor are not much better. If they can stand on the side of the street and urinate over the curb into the grass, when there is ice and snow, they will.

Mary never cared..snow was a whaahooo race about celebration.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM
such sights to show you

I swear Pip has a furnace where his liver should be. That dog gets overheated in a coat when it's single digits out. He swims right up until when the edges of the river freeze and he can't get in the water easily. I just don't bother with a coat for him anymore, ever. I've never seen him not get overheated in one. The only thing that bothers him about winter is when he gets snow toeballs, but between foot hair trimming and Musher's Secret we can avoid those.

Maisy gets chilled fairly easily. I've been running her in her lighter coat these last few weeks when it's been 30s-ish. She also gets major princess paws in the snow.

Squash doesn't seem to get chilled very easily, although we haven't really been through a hard winter with him yet. I have a feeling he's going to be pretty cold-durable, though.

Old 12-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Puppy Dog

I bought Nova from North Carolina. When she got here to Oregon it was May, she was 8 weeks old and very small. She was always cold.

So i put Pix's sweater on her

Now that she's grown she doesn't need sweaters (as much )
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Bin was still like that at 14, he never manned up. He hated the cold.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 12-09-2012, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Kailey gets cold at night. She cuddles under the covers and presses her trembling body against mine so hard I feel like we'll end up fusing together.
But if there are squirrels or birds to chase, she completely forgets about the cold and snow. She'll come to me after a good run with icicles of drool hanging from her face, tail wagging and lips twisted into an idiotic grin.

Schaffer has so much fur that I doubt he even knows what "cold" is.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:01 PM
Top Dog

The Dobermans are super lame in the winter. Unless we drive them to the park which is 10x more exciting than anything else and therefore worthy of running around and burning off energy, they refuse to do anything outside. They act all hyper in the house and then I let them out on the yard to play and all they do is stand there and shiver, lifting all their feet while eating snow/leaves/berries/whatever they can find. It sucks.

They shiver the whole time on leashed walks. I walk them to the park near my house and they just stand there, shivering, lifting feet. It's virtually impossible to exercise these two when it's cold.

Same goes for when it's raining. Except instead of feet lifting they stand there wincing and blinking and shivering like it's the worst thing in the world.

I do put coats on them, but they still hate the cold. And they sometimes have to wear PJs in the house if it's cold.

I really wouldn't mind their aversion to cold if not for the fact that they are high energy dogs and sometimes it's not very much fun living with them through the winter/rainy spring weather. They make it nearly impossible to drain their energy when it's cold.

Dance, OTOH, is an all season dog. She doesn't care if it's cold at all. And if it's hot, she's good as long as there is water to cool off in. She couldn't care less about the rain either. The only problem I have with her in the winter is that her poor feet get snowballs in them and they get cold quickly, but boots solve that problem.

Ripley
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FDCh-G
Keira CGN

Last edited by Toller_08; 12-09-2012 at 01:44 PM.