Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Show Dog

Default Anti-Docking Campaing

I have so many stories about Blondie's tail. Some people have praised us because we didn't have him docked, and others tell us he looks horrible with it. Our opinion? We all love his tail, he was born with it and it's a wonderful part of him. So I was surfing the net the other day and found this website, and I thought it was so very interesting! So I joined, and am supporting their campaign. Maybe some of you would like to take a look. And today, Blondie's gracing their front page! They put up the picture of my baby We're so happy.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:59 PM
Active Pup

i dont think it is wrong to dock some dogs look better and some dogs dont. they dont really use it beside wagging it but?????? so..................... thats what i think
Old 01-08-2005, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

I don't see much wrong with docking . Dobes look stupid(I can say that I have one and love him with a tail. The ears I can see why people get upset but I still think its something that needs to have the option of getting done or not. I just think its stupid when people want the tail cut when the dog is way too old to get it done. Someone brought a dog into the vets when I was there and its tail was all broken and bloody. THe people said they had no clue what happened that they came home and it was like that! I don't know if they got it cut after that or not.

Some of those dogs are cute with tails though! I just think it should be a personel choice. If my dobe had a tail I don't think it would have lasted very long! He wips his butt all over the place running around.
Old 01-09-2005, 01:35 AM
Island dweller

I think docking is horrible. They use it to express themselves and it's a part of them. My dog came docked from the shelter and I'm sure he has a phantom tail just like war amputees and other's who have lost a limb. He's always licking the stump even though it looks like it was docked a long time ago.

How can that be right? Cutting off an apendage because it's annoying. I really don't agree with it. From what I understand the whole trend started to make tough breeds look tougher. if you cut off the things that they use to show when they are happy they will look tougher. So a dog may run up and greet a non-dog person and really be friendly but this tough looking dog is now a threat.

I don't love it if I could go back in time and give Mikey his tail back. I'm sure he had a cute tail. Poor baby.

Saje
Old 01-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Show Dog

I agree with Saje, because tails are a part of them. A very important one, I might add, as they use it for expressing themselves (when they're happy, alert, afraid, etc). And in fact, docked dogs are really amputees, because a part of them was removed, most of the time, for no particular reason just to look "good" according to humans.

Recent research has also shown that neonates are HYPERsensitive rather than HYPOsensitive as has been widely believed. It has also shown that the memory of neonatal pain can affect the animal in its adult life. Symptoms could include decreased pain threshold, anxiety, social disorders and aggression.

Saje, I wish you could go back in time and give Mikey his tail back, because I adore Blondie's and I'm so happy we made the decision not to dock him when he first got him.
Old 01-09-2005, 02:20 PM
Island dweller

Yeah, I picture what his tail most have looked like. Sometimes I ponder making a fake one and taping it on, just to see how he'd like it. I really hope that it was done safely and with pain killers. Poor baby.

Maverick has a huge tail. Being a Newfie he really needs it for swimming. They use it as a rutter - for steering. So his tail is really strong and he's broken quite a few things. I love his tail. I love my babies.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:48 AM
Felurian

I'm all in favor of tails on dogs! I can't imagine my girls without tails - they are sinuous and move just like cats' tails - very strange indeed! And Bimmer's tail is just glorious! My poor Buffy was always so jealous of Bimmer's tail. It just irked her that hers was like a whip and he had that big, thick sweeping appendage. He used to wave it in her face routinely when he wanted her to chase him.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-10-2005, 12:21 PM
Puppy Dog

I hate tail docking and ear cutting. Too much like human cosmetic surgery for me. Modifying an animal to please our eyes. Sick. I too have a dog (an australian shepherd) who had her tail docked. It was before she was six weeks old. The family who I got her from started breeding their aussies and this was their first litter. The father had never docked tails before and the children told horror stories of the dad 'chopping the tails" and then realising that they weren't short enough so he had to chop them again. They said the puppies screamed out in pain. I think Maiven can still remember that.

It's a conditioned way of seeing to view dobermans as "stupid looking" with tails. Sad too.

I wish more than anything that I could've seen my pup with her full tail and often too what her tail would've looked like.

I wish too that there would be a total ban on any animal 'modification'.
Old 01-10-2005, 12:51 PM
Corgi bum

I have a Pembroke Welsh Crogi, as most of you know by now. Her tail is docked, I bought her that way. Chloe had puppies in October, and I did have their tails docked. I really struggled with that decision. The only reason that I did it, is because we were selling the puppies, and I know that most, if not all of the people who purchased a puppy would want it that way. I was afraid that if I didn't have it done when they were really little, that they would have it done at a later date, and that would be much harder on them.

Personally, I wish that I had not gotten it done. I also think it's cruel to do something like that to any animal.

I applaud the people who take a stand on this issue.
Old 01-10-2005, 01:23 PM
Top Dog

It's a conditioned way of seeing to view dobermans as "stupid looking" with tails. Sad too

Why is it sad. If you don't crop and dock then its a completely different dog! Like I said before, the way my dobe whips around running full speed there is no way his tail would still be in one piece. Nor did you see the horrible ear infections he had untill he got his ears cropped. Our vet had us convinced it was a horrible thing to have done and we almost didn't untill gettting a second opinion about the ear infections. My dobe was miserable the whole time he had the infections and nothing was making them go away. I think its fine if you don't like it, but don't make it sound like people who want cropped and docked are bad! It's in no way conditioned-completely my decision, and I really do not think its sad. If I took in a rescue and it had a tail and no ear cropp then fine I would like it the same. I just would have preffered the ears done. I just think if it was made illegal here- what would i have done with my dobe and his ear infections?