Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-05-2005, 11:41 AM
Big Dog

Exclamation Ewwwwww!!!

OK maybe I am just a big baby but the GROSSEST thing happened to me yesterday. I got home from work and the first thing I always do is go out to see the girls-they are in the backyard. Well I look down next to the deck is a BIG lump of fur with a long black tail coming out the back of it. SOOOO I scream, bring the girls inside and call my husband who just laughs and tells me to find a neighbor to come check it out (he was at work still). I am thinking opossum b/c it is so big-probably about the size of a large mens shoe-without the tail. So I finally find someone to come over with a shovel and it is a HUGE RAT!!!!!! It was dead but no blood or anything so I am guessing the girls 'played with it' to death. I checked them all over for bites and called the vet. Has anyone else had this happen???? I don't live in the country but I do have a creek and woods behind my house. I am still shuttering at the thought of that thing being back there with my girls!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

LOL! You're funny. Before I moved to where I live now 3-1/2 years ago, I had horses and a barn for them. There were often rats hanging out. I might be cleaning stalls or brushing hoses and a big rat would peek around the corner of the stall at me, watching my activities with shining eyes and waiting for me to leave so they could come get some more grain that would spill.They were very healthy looking rats, pretty fat with shining coats and gleaming eyes. LOL. It didn't bother me at all.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:19 PM
Top Dog

We live on the very edge of town, less than a mile from the river. Have a fenced in yard but still get visits from all kinds of critters. Racoons looking to find a place to have their babies because of the corn fields behind us, possums, snakes, even have seen a rat, but a few years ago my daughters dog (a Rott) was outside and she wouldnt stop barking. I went out to check it out and seen whatever it was it was behind a bush next to the house. The dog let out a yelp, it had been bitten her on the nose! I went running in to get my husband. Turns out it was hugh snapping turtle that somehow made it under the fence! He managed to catch it with a board and put it back over into the field behind us. 2 days later the same events in the back yard, the turtle was back! That time we got smart and after catching it, we took it to the river. So far the only critters I've seen dead in the yard was the rat. Creeps me out though not knowing what will be in our back yard next. We also have alot of coyotes in the area, packs will run thru the field behind us, they are getting brave and actually come into town. I dont know if they can get into the yard or not but I never take any chances.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:32 PM
Top Dog

A turtle! OMG! How funny. Well.....not for the dog. Well, it could be dangerous with rats if they have rabies or something.

I live in an extreme wilderness area in the north panhandle of Idaho...in a resort area. We have black bears, grizzly bears....you name it. My little Jose (Chi mix) ran a young black bear off my property last year. That bear didn't stand a chance. LOL. (or so he must have thought) I freaked when I saw this and yelled at Jose to come, just what I preach not to do. LOL. But it worked. He must have understood the urgency in my voice. But he didn't come immediately. He had to finish the job first. A-h-h-h.......YIKES!
Old 01-05-2005, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

I'd take the turtle any day over a grizzly, but to be honest, rats are pretty darn scarey looking, dead or alive! We dont have to worry about bears here, just every other critter that happens along.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

A-h-h...it wasn't a Grizzly though that Jose ran off. It was only a little black bear. LOL. Thank God. Talk about Mastiff in a small dog's body. LOL
Old 01-05-2005, 01:42 PM
Felurian

Melissa, I'm still giggling. That's a Pit Bull Terrier you've got - you know, the breeds that are renowned for getting rid of varmints? Don't worry as long as they're up on their rabies vaccine.

Rats are one of the most successful species on the planet because they can adapt to just about any environment and are particularly good at living near mankind. They're also very intelligent and learn to stay away from places that are dangerous to them - like backyards with Pits.

I'll bet your two were sooooo proud! They probably thought you were nuts and just didn't know how to have fun.

Becca, you do need to be afraid of the coyotes. They are losing their fear of man and will come in after domestic pets, especially during times when wild game is scarce or hard to catch. Even a dog as big as a Rottie has to be watched out for and not left outside alone after dark; coyotes will pack up on a larger dog. That's one of the reasons Charley wanted the Filas. Bred to hunt jaguar and wild boar, they will also pack up and become more dangerous to the coyotes than the coyotes are to them. Keeps the coyotes from coming through our pasture most of the time.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-05-2005, 03:20 PM
Big Dog

Bears, coyotes, snapping turtles!!! Oh my gosh, thankfully we only have squirrles and nutria's.

A Yorkie I had 5 years ago actually caught and killed a squirrle. I think the squirrle was running from Chip and when the squirrle ran up the fence he somehow fell back to the ground. I cant imagine Chip being fast enough to just catch him while running. Anway, Chip was shaking the squirrle, his natural instincts kicked in and I was yelling for Chip to drop and release the squirrle. Chip released the poor thing and the squirrle was still alive and very pissed off. I noticed Chip had blood coming from his nose area so I rushed him to the vet because I had no idea if the squirrle had rabbies or whatever.

While I am in the waiting room at the vet, the doctor stuck his head in the door, looked and left without saying a word. The doctor did this again a few seconds later, the exact same thing. The third time the doctor came in and said " I am looking for the dog that attacked a squirrle" I told him he was in the right room, this little Yorkie is the dog that actually caught the squirrle" The doctor shook his head, laughed and said he was expecting to find a big dog like a Lab or something like that.

Chip loved to chase the squirrles but we never thought he would ever catch one. Oh, Chip was bitten by the squirrle, was given an antibotic for possible infection. The squirrle ended up dieing the next day and we bagged the squirrle and froze him for a couple of months just in case Chip did get sick but everything was fine.
Old 01-05-2005, 03:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Hee. When I lived in Hawaii we would get rats in the garage of our landlords place. Unknown to me it was our job to dispose of the critters. My landlady simply said the gardner used to trap them then drown them in the trash bin. I stood there calmly (trying not to scream) simply said "well there it is" John Cleese. Ran to the phone told my vegitarian husband I could not do it, and it was our duty (sniff cry cry). He said nothing. By the time he came home and I had come up with a brilliant plan to transport the critters in said death cage, in the car to another neighborhood. So we caught this cute little Hawaiian rat, nothing like you see in NY. took him to the swanker neighborhs yards (2 miles away) sang born free and that was the end of that. To this day the landlady never knew what we did with all the rats.
Ciao
greentiger
Old 01-05-2005, 03:54 PM
Felurian

Cidney, even the smallest dog has some predator running in its genes!

Greentiger, I love that story. My parents found a 'possum in their bedroom once and I convinced them to just trap it and take it off and turn it loose. They wanted me to bring Bear over to catch it and kill it . . . but I yell at my Mom for killing snakes . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian