Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-17-2012, 07:16 AM
Walks into Mordor

Thumbs down Texas seceding

This is sad. I'm from Texas, and for the most part I'm quite happy to live here. But this whole secede business.....*sigh* An overwhelming majority of the people in Texas, even the ones who don't like Obama, are quite happy being American. And we're just as "WTF??" about the petition as most other people in the U.S.

The whole secede thing has been around for years. I've had the (mis)fortune of talking with some of the leaders who are actively involved in pushing the movement. I will tell you: it boggles the mind at how out-of-touch they are. You'd think that they'd be looking at it from a realistic view and creating a viable plan for the Nation of Texas. But these people....yikes. Here's some of the common themes I've heard from them. I swear I'm not making any of this up.

1) All Texans would stay in Texas. They think that everyone who currently lives here would stay put if Texas seceded. Umm....NO. I'd estimate that most of the population would pull up stakes and head to the United States. And quite a few of them have said that not only would they leave, they would burn their homes and businesses to the ground on the way out so that Texas could not have them.

2) All of the U.S. military currently here would stay and become the Texas military. When I asked them what their plan was for defense of the country of Texas, the answer I got was, "We already have a military ready to go. All those military bases like Lackland and Fort Hood are in Texas, so we'll have plenty of soldiers and equipment for our country." They think that all the U.S. military personnel already here would stay in Texas, along with the planes, tanks, and other equipment, that are here. The think the same thing would happen with all other Federal entities, such as FBI, Border Patrol, TSA, etc. Of course in reality, the U.S. military and the feds would withdraw and strip their facilities bare rather than give them to another country.

3) All businesses would stay. Once again, no.

So basically, they seriously think that everything will stay exactly as it is in Texas, except for no U.S. government. That's their grand plan for the future.

So that's my rant. Cookies if you read it all. And I've decided that if Texas really does somehow secede, I'm moving to the NEW 50th state in the union: Austin.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/blogs...stay-with-you/

Last edited by Gempress; 11-17-2012 at 07:42 AM.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:38 AM
SBT Lover!!

Pretty sure the exact thing last time. Just ignore it until it all blows over and people realize nothing has changed.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Just remind them how small Texas is compared to Alaska, that'll shut em up.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:22 AM
Walks into Mordor

It's kinda embarrassing to me. It's only .33 percent of the population who signed that petition, yet it makes us all look bad. I have friends and family in other states who asked me what the heck is up with my state. *sigh*
Old 11-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress View Post
1) All Texans would stay in Texas. They think that everyone who currently lives here would stay put if Texas seceded. Umm....NO. I'd estimate that most of the population would pull up stakes and head to the United States. And quite a few of them have said that not only would they leave, they would burn their homes and businesses to the ground on the way out so that Texas could not have them.
Oh yeah, and THAT doesn't sound crazy either...

Agree with CatStina, it happens, nothing ever comes of it, meh. Behaviour is undesirable = ignore behaviour.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-17-2012, 10:00 AM
Top Dog

Is this not normal in every state? Vermont has a group that wants to secede as well. They even have a flag and such, and I see it around. I kind of assumed every state talked about it....

Old 11-17-2012, 11:21 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Is this not normal in every state? Vermont has a group that wants to secede as well. They even have a flag and such, and I see it around. I kind of assumed every state talked about it....
Every state does have a group. I even heard people here claiming the united states were going to split into two countries... civil war style.

I think that the texan group might just be a bit more vocal about it, and everyone knows texans are actually crazy enough to do it. lol.

But yeah, if you just ignore it it will eventually go away. It hasn't even been a month since the election.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 AM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
Every state does have a group. I even heard people here claiming the united states were going to split into two countries... civil war style.
I think all the notice it's getting is because Texas actually got enough signatures on the petition to quality for a response from the White House.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:33 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post

I think that the texan group might just be a bit more vocal about it, and everyone knows texans are actually crazy enough to do it. lol.

But yeah, if you just ignore it it will eventually go away. It hasn't even been a month since the election.
I had to look it up because I'd never even heard a whisper of such a thing in my state. Apparently there is indeed a petition...which has be signed by the equivalent of 0.03% of the populations of the state. But it gets better...looking down through the signature list (online), perhaps 1 in 10 at most are actually people from Ohio. Most of the signatures have a location listed as Texas, North Carolina, etc. So make that less than 0.003% of the state that signed the online version anyway. Quite a movement they got going there...

There was also one guy who apparently wrote a book and tried to start a movement. The book flopped of course and his site is closed down due to lack of traffic/interest. Apparently we are just not secessionist folk.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Felurian

So, which oil cartel would become the ruling entity?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian