Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2012, 04:04 AM
Let it be

Default All the reasons you want or don't want to add another dog

I'm curious to know why or why you don't want to add another pooch at this point in time. If you are torn share both sides.

I don't want to add another dog as I have a new baby and schooling to start in the near future as well as for financial reasons. It'd be incredibly silly of me to even consider another dog at the moment. Oh how I wish I had the time and resources but there is so much I can do with Bandit so really the want is sort of silly.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:43 AM
Top Dog

I want another dog because I'm going to have all the time in the world to work with it over the next 2 years. I'll be in a dog-friendly country. We are financially stable PLUS about to get a raise PLUS plenty already in savings for emergencies. I have finally turned Jin over to the dark side, so he's a lot more willing when it comes to animals. He asks me questions and learns quickly, so no conflict there. I know Zander would be thrilled with a playmate, he's wonderful with all dogs. I'm way more prepared for training than I was with previous dogs, and that's exciting. No kids, ever, so that's hardly a problem. Moving generally isn't a problem. Dogs stay with the household, period. I stay with the dogs where ever they have to be. No issue there. Technically, our TMO papers aren't "due" until January, so I have until then to add a dog and it not affect our move in any major way. In so many ways...everything would be perfect for a new dog.

I don't want to get a dog RIGHT NOW because the timing is a little off. We move overseas in March, and I'm trying to hoard as much money in our savings account (a ridiculous portion of the paycheck, actually) to prepare, because I have no idea what to expect. I'm not entirely sure I could work a dog up from ground zero to confident in public and travel in a short four months. I'm not sure I could handle Zander (who is already skittish) AND a new dog simultaneously through a move. Also not entirely sure I want to ship a dog from Europe only to turn around and move overseas myself 4 months later. Might as well wait, you know?

I guess it is what it is. We've had several leads on so many different prospect dogs this past year, but they've all fallen through, breeders don't respond, or rescues have ridiculous expectations.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm All Ears

Want:
- Have a dog to play with in agility since Mia's knees are bad and Summer is getting old
- Want a bigger dog for variety of reasons
- Miss having a herder in the house
- Want a dog to do disc with

Do not want now:
- Saving for a house, not the ideal time
Old 11-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Want another dog, because despite having a puppy, he hasn't put me off at all... In fact, quite the opposite!

Don't want another dog, because I am happy with the ones I have I don't think I could love any thing else right now!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-13-2012, 08:20 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

DO NOT want another dog RIGHT NOW because:
*I have 3 already that I work with and train... a 4th might take away time from these 3
*Not the ideal time. We rent and it's already hard to try and rent with 3
*Want to save up to buy a house in the next 3-5 years
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-13-2012, 08:25 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I would love to have a puppy but I am realistic in my health and my income bracket. I have had puppies, and even tho I long just to hold one, I have made up my mind that if I have another dog, I will take a senior. It is hard enough for me to get these guys the exercise they need, and I understand senior issues now more than ever. Victor will be 9 in April, Neccy is 14, and Pepper is still in her prime, so my boat is full, and there is no more room. No new dog for us now. i expect, and pray for many more good years with VIctor and Pepper, and want to give Neccy all I can while we can, so that has to be enough for me and for them.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Do not want a dog right now because Buddy is getting close to the end of her life and it wouldn't be fair to her.

Also, I'm pregnant with our first baby.

Want another dog because Obi desperately misses a playmate.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

I've been waiting for a dog for the last 6 years. Now I'm finished with school, have a house & yard, stable home life and my dream job. It is now time to add a dog to make the house a home!! I also now have the time, money and ability to train and compete in sports and the OH has the desire to participate as well.

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 11-13-2012, 09:28 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I want another because:

I really want to get into cattle work. I really want to start another pup from scratch. I really want a Koolie, as crazy as that is. I really want a dog that is a go any where do anything uber confident. Neither of my two fit those above. Harlow fits a lot of it. Rider is very diifferent from what we were expecting.

Why we can't right now:

Importing is ungodly expensive. Rider still needs to come a long way in manners. He really needs my attention right now, but is coming along great.

I think a year or a little more will be perfect.

Then we will look at adding a bird dog. Then we will be DONE until two pass (and Harlow will never die).

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 11-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Reasons I want one:

- I would like a larger dog of my own. I LOVE small breeds, and that's why I have them, but I'd like to move up some, and while I love Miniature Schnauzers & they are my heart breed, there are so many larger breeds I love & would like to own.

- My dogs aren't as active or into activities as I'd like.

Reasons I "don't" want one / am not getting one:

- Currently it would not be the right time as I do not have a job.
- When I get a job, I might not have enough time for 4 dogs of my own, so why add another until I know how my schedule will be?