Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-10-2012, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

Default Wrote a complaint.

Ok I know it sounds silly but I did. I was reading a book at a friends house, to their kids. It was on cat care, but a well known book company (Usborne books) that everyone raves about.

What bothered me was a LOT of the bad/wrong advice in the book. I know it's a children's book but still, really bad advice!!!

First off they said to always offer a bowl of milk because all cats like to drink milk. Um, no.

Then suggested a box with holes for transporting a cat. Kennels aren't that expensive for a cat and much safer, how about suggesting if you buy a cat, you invest the $15 or less for a cat carrier? Rather than firmly closing the box top and hoping the cat doesn't pop out. Just saying.

Oh and your kitten will need a litterbox for the first bit, till they can go outside to do their thing. How about we teach kids that it's not generally safe (or legal in most places) to let your cat out and worse, that you don't provide a litterbox so they're crapping wherever, including other people's yards? What's wrong with saying 'your cat should stay inside and safe, or going out on a leash and harness or build a cat cage' type advice for kids?

They sorta cover spaying with a drawing of a cat with a big red cut on it, but then spend a whole two pages on how to raise kittens and how cute they are to play with. Um, reverse that and maybe do a page on getting your cat spayed or neutered at six months, and how they'll need a quiet place to rest after but will be much happier?

Oh and were to get a cat... shelter or rescue is sort of mentioned but then it also says 'many times you can find a friend who has kittens to give away' sorta thing. And how nice it is to spend the day with the litter of kittens and pick just the right one. How about we talk about rescues and fostered kittens and going to the shelter a bit more?

Days like this I really think I should write ethical children's books on pets and pet care.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Felurian

Ugh. Just. Ugh.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-10-2012, 02:48 PM
My dog tickles my soul

How old was this book? lol. Based on your complaint, I'm guessing not too old?

I probably wouldn't be so upset if it was printed 30+ years ago, as I would be if it was a recent edition. I mean, I'd still disagree with what the book said either way, but I'd at least understand that it was coming from a different era.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Nope, quite new. And the company that does them specializes in educational/high quality books too, and they're usually pricey to boot.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Days like this I really think I should write ethical children's books on pets and pet care.
Doooooooo eeeeeetttttttttt!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Those kind of books drive me nuts. I saw one not long ago that was for children about dogs...holy crap! It gave downright dangerous advice