Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-10-2012, 01:47 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default Question about heritage/ethnicity

These, are, to me, pretty different.

A friend's boyfriend today told me he's Australian. I said "Like Aboriginal?" and he said "no, my great grandfather and his family lived in Sydney, I don't know how they got there." I said "that doesn't make you Australian!"

He said it does, and even if he moved to another country to have children, they would still be American because that's where he, his parents, and grandparents were born.

I would not consider my children American, in that case. Yes, America is part of their heritage, but THEY aren't American. Like my ex's family moved from Russia to Canada, and then to America. He considered himself Russian, not Russian-Canadian! If friend's bf was born in Australia, maybe I could see that calling himself Australian, but he wasn't.

So, if your ancestors, born of a certain ethnicity, moved to X country, and then somewhere new, would you consider X as part of your heritage or ethnicity?
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM
Romy's Avatar
Romy Romy is offline
Taxiderpy
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 10,041
Default

My grandpa was Piikani Blackfoot. He was born in New Brunswick and a bunch of our cousins live on the reserve in Alberta. But I've never considered myself Canadian or thought of it was being part of my ethnicity even though my ancestors were aboriginal Canadian. Just Blackfoot.

It's funny though, because my other grandpa is Greek and we identify, culturally, really heavily with that family. There's a ton of clan pride and everything, and most of us consider ourselves "Greek" even if we've never been there. I think a big part of that is the clan thing though. We have cousins in Greece and are a pretty close knit bunch for being halfway around the world from each other.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
Nuke it from orbit ...
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,721
Default

Than by that definatition no one would be "American" because a majority of folks immigrated from other countries (mine came over from Poland on my fathers side & Germany on my moms fathers side. My grandmother is full Cherokee )

IMHO no moving to "X" country from "Y" country & having kids there doesn't make you from "Y" country
__________________
If there are any typos, it means I am on my phone LOL



Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-10-2012, 01:59 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Yes, but you ARE Greek and Blackfoot. Lol. Lets say your grandparents, who were Greek, moved to France for a while before moving to America.

Would you say you're "Blackfoot, Greek, and French"? Or still just Blackfoot and Greek?
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-10-2012, 04:37 PM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Yes, but you ARE Greek and Blackfoot. Lol. Lets say your grandparents, who were Greek, moved to France for a while before moving to America.

Would you say you're "Blackfoot, Greek, and French"? Or still just Blackfoot and Greek?
So wait. Let me get this straight, I'm not South African because white people don't come from here? Or am I understanding you incorrectly?
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-10-2012, 04:44 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppydog View Post
So wait. Let me get this straight, I'm not South African because white people don't come from here? Or am I understanding you incorrectly?
Do you live or were you born in South Africa? Then you're South African. But, I'm assuming your parents/grandparents/some ancestors relocated TO South Africa from somewhere else.

In that case, let's say, for example, your ancestors, however far down the line, moved to South Africa from England. They, of English descent, gave birth to your parents, also of English descent. Then, your parents move to another country, say, France.

In that case, you wouldn't claim to be South American, because you would not have been born there, ever have lived there, or had any ancestors who were, by ethnicity, South American.


ETA: my complaint is a friend I have, who has never been to Australia, who was not born in Australia, and who's ancestors are in no way ethnically Australian, is claiming "I am australian" because his grandfather's family lived there at one point.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-10-2012, 04:48 PM
puppydog's Avatar
puppydog puppydog is offline
Tru evil has no pantyline
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 7,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Do you live or were you born in South Africa? Then you're South African. But, I'm assuming your parents/grandparents/some ancestors relocated TO South Africa from somewhere else.

In that case, let's say, for example, your ancestors, however far down the line, moved to South Africa from England. They, of English descent, gave birth to your parents, also of English descent. Then, your parents move to another country, say, France.

In that case, you wouldn't claim to be South American, because you would not have been born there, ever have lived there, or had any ancestors who were, by ethnicity, South American.


ETA: my complaint is a friend I have, who has never been to Australia, who was not born in Australia, and who's ancestors are in no way ethnically Australian, is claiming "I am australian" because his grandfather's family lived there at one point.
Ok. Yes. I get you. And yes, it drives me nuts too. I'm South African, not English, Irish or French.
__________________


Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,239
Default

I'm not sure what you mean by to you they are different, as they are different by definition.

The place where you were born, be it Canada, the US, Australia, whatever.. Determines your heritage. For example, I'm Canadian.

Your ethnicity has to do more with your culture and language. For example, my mom is French Canadian.

Your heritage has to do with where your ancestors are from. For example, I have ancestors from Ireland and Scotland mainly.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-10-2012, 02:08 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,613
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by to you they are different, as they are different by definition.
I mean I don't use them interchangeably, which apparently most of my FB friends do...

So if your heritage is "where your ancestors are from" is it your ancestor's ethnicity (which I consider to be not only about culture but also about genetics), or is it acceptable to consider any place your ancestors lived your heritage?

When speaking about heritage, I'd say something like "I am from" or "my family came from" or "my ancestors lived XYZ". I would not say "I am ____" because to me, that implies ethnicity.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-10-2012, 02:53 PM
ChristineB's Avatar
ChristineB ChristineB is offline
Puppy Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by to you they are different, as they are different by definition.

The place where you were born, be it Canada, the US, Australia, whatever.. Determines your heritage. For example, I'm Canadian.

Your ethnicity has to do more with your culture and language. For example, my mom is French Canadian.

Your heritage has to do with where your ancestors are from. For example, I have ancestors from Ireland and Scotland mainly.


I agree with that. Having lived in Europe I realize that although I have french reletives, German relatives and other European relatives, I am American. I am of German and French decent, but I am all American. The cultures you are raised in really affect who you are.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:44 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site