Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Twin 2

Default Do you talk about Chaz?

Do you talk about Chaz, people on chaz or what have you to people in RL? Do your friends, family, coworkers know you are this crazy of dog person that you're on a dog forum?

Also, how do you refer to people that you know from on here? Do you call them friends? People you know? acquaintances?

For me, my family knows I'm on a dog forum. In fact they probably know most of your dogs since I'll shove their pictures at them whenever the mood strikes! I mean, how else do I explain having a stranger from the internet come stay with us every Christmas or importing a dog with another

For the most part, to other people, I refer to you all as my crazy dog people. As in "Oh, one of my dog people friend persons has a so and so dog"

And when meeting someone from online I typically will tell my boss or someone that I'm meeting another 40 year old man rapist from the internet at the dog park. Since he already thinks I'm nuts.
Old 11-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

My husband rolls his eyes when I talk about "internet people" or "dog forum people". No one else hears about it--I'd be considered insane.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:00 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Just to my hubby lol

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-03-2012, 09:02 PM
orange iguanas.

You guys are "people I know" lol. So if I'm talking to people about dogs I can say "well someone I know had a dog with such-and-such issue and this is what worked for them".... For some reason I prefer that over just saying that I read it online? Makes it seem more legit or something? lol. My favorite is when I get in an argument about something (like raw feeding) and I can say "I know lots of people that do X and their dogs are just fine!" In reality, I don't know anyone that does whatever the topic is about... I'm just talking about people from Chaz lol.

Otherwise it's all super secret since my family would think you're all murderers. When my sister had rat babies, someone on my hamster forum was interested in a couple... she lives in Missouri. I agreed to meet her in Iowa. I told my family that she was a "friend of a friend" and even that struck a lot of hesitation from them.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

No one from my family knows I'm on a dog forum, even though I'm friends IRL with people I've met on Chaz lol. My mom believes that "everyone on the internet is a rapist or a murderer or a criminal", so she thinks that I've met all these people "through mutual friends/from work/whatever" - I DO work at a pet food store, so it's believeable.

Some of my friends/co-workers know I'm on a dog forum (only the friends/coworkers that are dog people lol), but I don't talk about it super in-depth. I'll mention, "Oh, someone I know has x breed" or "someone I know dealt with this or that with their dog", or whatever, but I don't get really into it.

My few friends that aren't dog people? Absolutely not, just because we don't really talk about dogs, since it's not a mutual interest. They probably wouldn't care that I'm on a forum, though - a few of them are very active on car forums and things.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Chazhound follows the same rules as fight club as far as I'm concerned lol YOU DO NOT TALK ABOUT FIGHT CLUB.
Partly because it's an emotional oasis where I can ESCAPE the people I know IRL, and partly because they would think I was nuts.

If anything arrises where I must mention one of you, it's "my friend that moved away"
It works because I went to school as an animal science major so there was plenty of opportunity for me to meet other crazy animal/dog people lol

My friends, family etc.. know I love dogs. They know I love my dogs, they know I know a lot about dogs.. but they consider it a quirky hobby/point of interest.
but to be a member for a dog internet forum and be researching and talking about dogs as much as I do? Ha. NO WAY.

I even moved ya'll to my own doggy people facebook so I could be my uninhibited doggy self without clogging the newsfeed of innocent bystanders with dogs 24/7 lol
Old 11-03-2012, 09:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Just to my hubby lol
The other half, yup. lol
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
For me, my family knows I'm on a dog forum. In fact they probably know most of your dogs since I'll shove their pictures at them whenever the mood strikes! I mean, how else do I explain having a stranger from the internet come stay with us every Christmas or importing a dog with another

For the most part, to other people, I refer to you all as my crazy dog people. As in "Oh, one of my dog people friend persons has a so and so dog"
I don't show pictures too much, especially now that I've moved, but I do talk about some of you often. For example, there was a dog on the cocker forum who looked and acted a lot like Maddie and only a month apart in age, was sick for a while and when I read the Rainbow Bridge post I cried and had to explain that one to them and they knew exactly who I was talking about "Oh that Cocker ______ who is Maddie's twin"
I refer to all of you as my friend's from my "dog website" and the others my friends "from the rescue" because its hard for them to understand the difference lol. When I was younger they didn't like it (the shipments) and gave me crazy looks for Christmas cards, but they're all used to it now lol and occasionally I will be asked "Hey, can you ask your friends on your dog website _________"

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

It depends!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-03-2012, 09:10 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Several people IRL know I am a member of various dog forums, but I think most of them believe it has more to do with promoting my collar business rather than being part of a community.

And I talk about many of you IRL as "my friends", but generally don't bother to mention how I know anybody unless directly asked.