Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-28-2004, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

Default I have a couple of questions.....

I've been wanting to rescue a Boxer (or Pittie cross) for a while, but I have a couple of questions about whether or not I should rescue one, and if so, what I should be looking for:

1. We will be getting a Leader Dog puppy to raise in Spring of 2006, so what would be the best age of dog to rescue? I DON'T want two puppies in the house (that would drive me crazy, and I don't think it is allowed by the orginization) so what age to Boxers norm. stop acting like puppies? (Maybe puppies isn't the best word....Boxers always act like them! ) I'm thinking around 3 or 4?

2. Since we are getting the Leader Dog puppy and it won't be spayed, would it be better to rescue a male or female dog? I don't know what the LD puppy will be (any gender, either a Lab, Golden, or GSD) so what would be the best gender of dog to rescue?

3. And with all of that said, would it be wize to just wait and not rescue a dog, since I will be getting a LD puppy in about a year?

I have to go now because my 9yr old sis wants me to play a card game with her. Thanks for all of your help!!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:29 PM
Felurian

You're definitely on the right track, thinking more toward an adult dog since you're going to be getting a leader dog to care for in another year. By that time an adult dog should be well settled in and can actually be a help, especially with socializing the pup.

As long as your dog is spayed or neutered it shouldn't make any real difference whether you get a male or female.

This is something you'll have to discuss with the rest of your family because it will affect everyone, but I surely won't discourage you from rescuing! The more the merrier - to a point of course! lol

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-29-2004, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Thanks for the reply!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
By that time an adult dog should be well settled in and can actually be a help, especially with socializing the pup.
I never thought of that. That might help convince my mom that getting one would be a good idea! lol
I really want an older Boxer, but I can't find any Boxer rescues around Indiana. (I found one in Indy I guess, but they only have one dog! [Which I suppose is good, but....]) Does anybody know of any rescue orginizations that are close to Indy?