Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-28-2012, 07:36 PM
Top Dog

Default Are your dogs prepared for Hurricane Sandy

Hurricane Sandy is heading up the east coast and shows no signs of mercy. Its time to buckle down and make sure you are prepared and you have everything for your dogs. You dont want to get in an emergency and dont know what to do. Especially, if trees are down and there is no power. So, here is a list of a few things you should think about.

http://www.lifetimewithdogs.com/2012...rricane-sandy/

Stay safe and be careful

Anna

Eco-friendly dog products
http://www.ecofriendlydogproducts.com

Lifetime With Dogs
http://www.lifetimewithdogs.com
Old 10-28-2012, 08:22 PM
Top Dog

Nice article. I'd suggest having a supply of water saved no matter where you live or what the temperature is (right now I have a huge Igloo drink dispenser and a couple gallon containers filled with water on my porch, plus 20+ gallons of bottled water in the garage). Also, having up to date tags on your pets, with more than one contact number. Good touch about not opening the fridge or freezer needlessly. Most people don't think of that, and, instead panic when the power goes out about what's goimg to go bad. Another tip- the fuller the freezer is, the more effecient it is. You can fill containers with water to fill up empty space. Besides helping to keep the freezer cold longer if you do lose power, you'll have water when the ice melts.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

Also, it's a good idea BEFORE the storm hits to check online and write down which evacuation centers or hotels/motels nearby will allow pets.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 10-28-2012, 10:39 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Also, it's a good idea BEFORE the storm hits to check online and write down which evacuation centers or hotels/motels nearby will allow pets.
True, and for some shelters you have to register your dogs or they won't accept them, even if they have plenty room left. You also need a current copy of vacciness and at least here in Florida, the canine influenza vaccine is required when taking your dogs to the shelter.

--------
A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Not that we're expecting it to, but storms like these I put collars on the dogs in the house (they are usually naked) in the freak occurance I need to quickly grab them and get out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
All three of my dogs have their collars and tags on and I have slip leads within easy grabbing distance so if we wind up needing to evacuate we can grab them and go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyRock View Post
...You also need a current copy of vacciness and at least here in Florida, the canine influenza vaccine is required when taking your dogs to the shelter.
All very good ideas! I didn't even think to mention them because they aren't "additions" for me. Caleb always has a collar & tags on, there are leashes hanging at the back door, in his obedience, nosework and hiking bags, and also kennel leads in both vehicles. Copies of vaccination certificates, town license and micro chip info are in his nosework and obedience bags and in the glove box of both vehicles. I also have portable waterbowls in all bags and vehicles and extra collars and tags in his obedience bag.

Quote:
...My dogs are usually fine with storms, but Cricket is actually acting a little restless right now and was growling when she heard some wind from outside just a min ago...
Caleb was a little unsettled last night, too. Nothing too major, he just seemed uncomfortable. He eventually settled down after watching the end of the Giants game curled up inside my legs.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:00 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Not that we're expecting it to, but storms like these I put collars on the dogs in the house (they are usually naked) in the freak occurance I need to quickly grab them and get out. Figure it's easy to pick em up, shove in a car, and worry about leashes later.

And like others have said, keep some clean water set aside for pets plus food!!
Old 10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

All three of my dogs have their collars and tags on and I have slip leads within easy grabbing distance so if we wind up needing to evacuate we can grab them and go. I don't know that it will come to that but better to be ready. My dogs are usually fine with storms, but Cricket is actually acting a little restless right now and was growling when she heard some wind from outside just a min ago. I may end up giving her some happy traveler if she continues to be uneasy.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Not that we're expecting it to, but storms like these I put collars on the dogs in the house (they are usually naked) in the freak occurance I need to quickly grab them and get out. Figure it's easy to pick em up, shove in a car, and worry about leashes later.

And like others have said, keep some clean water set aside for pets plus food!!
I put collars on mine, too. Bailey's been nakkid for sometime now, I completely forgot about them lol I made sure they had their tags on... and I always have leashes in the car. but other than that we're not expecting anything here like you guys are more east so I have plenty of food and water and batteries lol

Quote:
My dogs are usually fine with storms, but Cricket is actually acting a little restless right now and was growling when she heard some wind from outside just a min ago
Same here, my dogs usually don't care at all. Bailey was restless, so I gave her a bully stick to chew on and she settled right down. It could be because we couldn't walk today, either.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM
Active Pup

Default Calming Biscuits

I don't live anywhere near the storm and i doubt anyone will be running out to the stores at this point that does, so maybe this is just for future reference, but i give my dog calming biscuits during times that are a bit more chaotic. They are made with pumpkin which i didn't realize until recently is a natural source of tryptophan. I'm sure there are lots of similar products out there, but here is a link:http://www.luckydogvitamin.com/crani...s-10-6-oz.html. I see the same site also sells a product called Anxiety Free. Here is a link to that: http://www.luckydogvitamin.com/anxiety-free.html.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Top Dog

Jackson's actually totally fine with these types of storms (wind/heavy rain), it's only thunder that bothers him. So I am VERY glad to not be dealing with a stressed out dog. He's laying next to me right now. We've also got a fire going so the dogs enjoy laying by that.

I'm not doing anything special, except I made sure his collar and tags were on just in case for some reason we have to leave. All the leashes and harnesses are easy access and such. I keep walking Jackson out front to potty, he's the only dog who refuses to go on the back porch, LoL... craziness!

And tomorrow is gonna be worse! Eeekkkk! Ocean City is about 2hrs from us and totally flooded.

Brit & Jackson