Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM
jenv101's Avatar
jenv101 jenv101 is offline
Bite Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,577
Default Chaz Moms and Moms-to-Be Chat (everyone welcome)

Starting a new thread here for some chit chat on various pregnancy and baby related things so we stop taking over other people's threads

How are all the preggo chazzers feeling lately? What is on your mind?

Some topics we were discussing:
Cloth Diapers
Babywearing
Due dates/induction
Episiotomies

We just had our child birth class this past weekend at a holistic center so my head is crammed full of information right now lol!

Another great thread from a little while ago on birth: http://chazhound.com/forums/showthre...ighlight=birth
__________________

~Aura & Riley~
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:35 AM
AllisonPitbullLvr's Avatar
AllisonPitbullLvr AllisonPitbullLvr is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 882
Default

Yay!!!

I'm 10w4d with my first. I've had a completely awesome pregnancy so far with virtually no symptoms to speak of. The only hiccup was some bleeding at 8w but ultrasound a few days later showed a healthy bean!

I'm super excited to meet this baby and wish the pregnancy would go just a little faster. This has been the longest first trimester in my entire life. LOL

My main worry is how my dogs, particularly my younger, will adjust. He's pretty high energy, still very much a handful, and my DH really has nothing to do with the dogs. But we have him enrolled in an adult clicker class just as a refresher and we're working on brushing up on the crucial basics.

Super glad for this thread and the advice/sympathetic ear it will provide!
__________________
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:44 AM
Greenmagick's Avatar
Greenmagick Greenmagick is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,008
Default

Yay, it's fun to talk babies and pregnancy. I am getting ready to head to a Halloween party with the kids but will be back later with links, stories, pics, etc

Oh and my first recommendation to parents to be - read The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 PM
jenv101's Avatar
jenv101 jenv101 is offline
Bite Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Posts: 1,577
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Oh and my first recommendation to parents to be - read The Baby Book by Dr. Sears.
This is on my to-read list already! I will be starting it when I'm done with the birth books.

I'm going to attempt baby wearing and cloth diapers, so anyone who wants to recommend stuff, feel free! We are taking a babywearing class next weekend actually.

Co-sleeping and breast feeding are also high on my list. I have BF books on my to-read list as well.
__________________

~Aura & Riley~
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-28-2012, 03:59 PM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenv101 View Post
This is on my to-read list already! I will be starting it when I'm done with the birth books.

I'm going to attempt baby wearing and cloth diapers, so anyone who wants to recommend stuff, feel free! We are taking a babywearing class next weekend actually.

Co-sleeping and breast feeding are also high on my list. I have BF books on my to-read list as well.
Get an assortment of diapers. Some newborn, some One Size, some prefolds/fitteds and covers. Making your own detergent is the cheapest way or free and clear. Buy used either online or find a local store and ask them for local resources (your babywearing group as well)

I didnt get Savannah ANYTHING but one size and NOTHING fit her we were expecting a 9 lb baby not a 6 lb tiny little girl. Even now very few outside of covers and prefolds fit her.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:08 AM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,515
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllisonPitbullLvr View Post
My main worry is how my dogs, particularly my younger, will adjust. He's pretty high energy, still very much a handful, and my DH really has nothing to do with the dogs. But we have him enrolled in an adult clicker class just as a refresher and we're working on brushing up on the crucial basics.

Super glad for this thread and the advice/sympathetic ear it will provide!
First, congrats!! I forgot to say that in the ultrasound thread. Also, my biggest worry so far has been about the dogs - Tipper and Mu are high energy and when not exercised will have massive fights. We're going to have to figure out how that's going to work because I don't think I'll be as good at breaking up fights after awhile.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-23-2012, 10:53 AM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,689
Default

I'm not a mom, but reading everything, watching various documentaries and listening to all these different people...it just reinforces the fact I don't want to be pregnant, give birth, or be a mother! Especially in the USA. Holy crap. The things I have learned about our c-section rates, the drugs used for induction, women being induced early and told to have c-sections out of convenience then things go wrong because of it, the fact that most OB's don't know how to handle a natural birth, the ridiculous prices for our low standard of care of women and babies, the whole thing is nuts. Just. Nuts.

So kudos to the rest of you brave enough to face all of that. Lol.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Especially in the USA.
This caught my eye because, while I will definitely be having kids, I'm still debating whether I'm going to have them here or in Finland (I'm a dual citizen). My mom had me here in USA and had my brother in Finland. She had a terrible experience with my birth and probably should have been given an emergency c-section. She had to have surgery to repair the damage (which she had in Finland) and almost couldn't have an other child. When she got pregnant with my brother, we immediately moved to Finland. My brother's birth was a C-Section and it went very smoothly. Sure, some of it has to do with specific hospitals, and the fact that it was 22 years ago, but it still gives me pause. My mother and I have very similar bodies, and I wouldn't be surprised if my birth canal is smaller, too. I guess I'll have to see where I am in life and in the world when I do get pregnant.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Lyzelle's Avatar
Lyzelle Lyzelle is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,689
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
This caught my eye because, while I will definitely be having kids, I'm still debating whether I'm going to have them here or in Finland (I'm a dual citizen). My mom had me here in USA and had my brother in Finland. She had a terrible experience with my birth and probably should have been given an emergency c-section. She had to have surgery to repair the damage (which she had in Finland) and almost couldn't have an other child. When she got pregnant with my brother, we immediately moved to Finland. My brother's birth was a C-Section and it went very smoothly. Sure, some of it has to do with specific hospitals, and the fact that it was 22 years ago, but it still gives me pause. My mother and I have very similar bodies, and I wouldn't be surprised if my birth canal is smaller, too. I guess I'll have to see where I am in life and in the world when I do get pregnant.
I think the major issue I see with that is women are rushed through birth with plenty of yelling, drugs, and general chaos and rushing. Labor is meant to last a good 14+ hours, and I don't believe many women are small as much as their bodies don't have time to change THAT fast to push out an object THAT large in 4 hours (or they get shoved off to c-section so Dr. can get home for dinner on time). Plus inducing early for no real reason.

I think when your body is allowed to just do what it is meant to do, things go a lot easier.

But, you know, thank goodness for all the OB's (who are surgeons, not birthing doctors), the drugs, c-sections and everything else because a few women DO need them and they are great to have in an emergency. But most births aren't emergencies until you push that first domino and the rest fall after. Even for high risk women. The statistics really speak for themselves, and ours are really sad to look at on the W.H.O. website.

In the link in the OP, it talked about The Business of Being Born, it's on Netflix and a good watch. Another good one is Pregnant in America. Business of Being Born also had a smaller mini-series called More Business of Being Born.
__________________
Zander and HarleyQuinn
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-23-2012, 11:50 AM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I think the major issue I see with that is women are rushed through birth with plenty of yelling, drugs, and general chaos and rushing. Labor is meant to last a good 14+ hours, and I don't believe many women are small as much as their bodies don't have time to change THAT fast to push out an object THAT large in 4 hours (or they get shoved off to c-section so Dr. can get home for dinner on time). Plus inducing early for no real reason.

I think when your body is allowed to just do what it is meant to do, things go a lot easier.

But, you know, thank goodness for all the OB's (who are surgeons, not birthing doctors), the drugs, c-sections and everything else because a few women DO need them and they are great to have in an emergency. But most births aren't emergencies until you push that first domino and the rest fall after. Even for high risk women. The statistics really speak for themselves, and ours are really sad to look at on the W.H.O. website.

In the link in the OP, it talked about The Business of Being Born, it's on Netflix and a good watch. Another good one is Pregnant in America. Business of Being Born also had a smaller mini-series called More Business of Being Born.
Thank you for this great post. I'll check out both documentaries. From the stories my mom has told me, the doctor and nurse did seem to be rushing it. The nurse actually pushed on my mom's stomach to try and "force me out!" Scary stuff.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site