Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 AM
Top Dog

Default Tattooing your pets?

Recently I've seen a couple things in my newsfeed about tattooed pets. No, not tattoos OF pets, but pets that have been tattooed. It's being seen a lot in bald breed cats and dogs and even some pigs.

What do you guys think of it? What are your thoughts?

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you canít eat money." ĖNative American proverb
Old 10-19-2012, 03:52 AM
Top Dog

I don't think it's ethical.
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm not ok with it at all. I have tattoos on me and that's fine, but I'm just not ok with tattooing animals.

Cricket has a 'tattoo' but its just a little green dash on her belly that they put on her when she was spayed.

We have a APBT that comes to the dog daycare I work at named Styles. His name is tattooed on his penis in scribble scratch type lettering. His current owners said it was there prior to them adopting him.

There's one other dog that comes to my work that is tattoed, but she doesn't come often and I can't remember right off hand what her tattoo is of.
Old 10-19-2012, 06:16 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
I don't think it's ethical.
This.
I talk to him when I'm lonesome like; and I'm sure he understands. When he looks at me so attentively, and gently licks my hands; then he rubs his nose on my tailored clothes, but I never say naught thereat. For the good Lord knows I can buy more clothes, but never a friend like that. ~W. Dayton Wedgefarth

Buddy Girl - 2000-2013. "Blessed is he who has earned the love of an old dog."

Obi - 7 year old Incorrigible Dog.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:40 AM
such sights to show you

Well I think a lot of the pictures of "tattooed pets" are probably photoshopped, especially the really elaborate ones... people can barely keep their pets from messing with small incisions after surgeries, let alone a large intricate tattoo for a few weeks while it heals without any complications.

But having said that, I am not ok with it at all. Other than identification or to indicate spay/neuter status as skittledoo mentioned (which is common practice at some of the shelters here), I think it's pretty ridiculous. Too much discomfort and aftercare for no substantive reason IMO.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:30 AM
Top Dog

The pigs have a story: http://explore.theculturetrip.com/eu...f-provocation/
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 AM
Top Dog

Not something I'd be okay with. Courtney is tattooed with an ID in her ear, and I had thought about doing it with our future pup since it's permanent ID that is visible..but I can't do it, I wouldn't want to put a pup under for something so unnecessary and I could not imagine doing it while awake.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:41 AM
Big Dog

I have my own tattoos also but I would never tattoo my pets. Rocky has a 4-digit alphanumeric identification tattoo on the underside of his leg but that's as far as it goes.

Now, if one of my dogs ever comes up to me and expresses his want of a tattoo in English, then I'll cross that bride if it comes. Other than that I think I'll leave my pets the way they are.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:08 AM
SevenSins

As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:18 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
As someone who is pro-crop/dock for aesthetical purposes, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to suggest that tattooing is "unethical" straight across the board. So I'm going to go against the grain and say "it depends." Something that could be completed in one session under general anesthesia, similar to an ear crop? Sure, why not. Would I personally do it? No, because I don't personally find it aesthetically pleasing.
I am pro crop and pro dock however never in a million years would I support tattooing an animal, besides id purposes like they do for horses. Being said that, I only support docking when they are tiny still, I see it as when a nurse pierce a baby's ear, it is done as newborn and you don't really remember the 'pain'.