Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
CatStina CatStina is offline
SBT Lover!!
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 634
Default Anti-Breeder Attitudes?

More and more of my FB "friends" and pages I "like" are posting anti-breeding/anti-breeder posts. I have seen several different "friends" share the following pictures from an anti-breeder page.








I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends." I disagree with this anti-breeder attitude, though, and here's why.

If a ban on breeding truly succeeded and there were no breeders, and people succeeded at having every dog spayed/neutered, about 10-15 years down the line we would have no more dogs and, as a dog lover, that would be a wolrd I would not want to live in. I truly believe that ethical/responsible/reputable breeders can have a place in this world along side rescuers/shelters. I know of some that do, but if this anti-breeder attitude continues, I fear for that relationship which makes me fear for the dogs.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
sassafras's Avatar
sassafras sassafras is offline
such sights to show you
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 6,029
Default

Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
AdrianneIsabel's Avatar
AdrianneIsabel AdrianneIsabel is offline
Glutton for Crazy
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 8,893
Default

Delete them, I do.
__________________
Sloan von Krigbaum IPO1 CGC BH CD NA NJ PD MJ-N RATI RATN 3/7/10 -
Shamoo NJ-N RATI RATN 3/1/98 -
Phelan du Loups du Soleil CGC RATI 6/15/13 -
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.


Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
yoko's Avatar
yoko yoko is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 5,347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me


when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
I'm not a breeder, never will be a breeder, and have never had a dog from a breeder. But that's how I see Yoshi sometimes. She was $15 from the shelter but turned into a giant hole that I occasionally stand at the edge at and toss money into. XD
__________________
Thank you Vivien and Angel Chicken for the siggy! Also I have been frosted!!! And as of 9/13/07 I know the secret handshake!


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Shai's Avatar
Shai Shai is offline
& the Muttly Crew
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 6,120
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends."
I did. Lose some sort of casual friends over getting a purebred dog and from Not Rescue. Figured I didn't need that sort of person in my life anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.
^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me


when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
Oh how the truth hurts...and that is the truth...
__________________

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM
OutlineACDs's Avatar
OutlineACDs OutlineACDs is offline
Crazy Dog!
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,341
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.
This is what I'm afraid of. I have two dogs currently. A spayed bitch and an intact male I show and trial. My husband wants a dog, but right now isn't the right time. He'd like to attempt training it to possibly do some hog hunting, tracking? I'm not sure. He truly knows very little about it, and I wouldn't know where to start either. Basically whatever his dog is will end up being trained basic manners by me and will end up being a pet, since I have a feeling he will get bored with the training, or not know what to do. I'd like to rescue another young cattle dog mix or cattle dog since we both like the ACD's and they could potentially make a decent hunting partner for my husband. I've seen some nice ones come through rescue, but I haven't bothered contacting anyone because I know we will get turned down. No one would give us a rescue if we admitted wanting to try hunting with it, and no one would sell us a rescue while I have an intact dog in the house.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
monkeys23's Avatar
monkeys23 monkeys23 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,591
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Love it!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
JacksonsMom's Avatar
JacksonsMom JacksonsMom is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 8,342
Default

I find it ridiculous.

GOOD reputable breeders are NOT the problem (you know the people who make you sign a contract stating that if you cannot have your dog anymore, they take them back)... their dogs aren't the ones over-crowding the shelters

My next dog will 95% be from a breeder. I have very specific wants for my next dog, and I also just... want to. And it is kind of irritating, I am sure I will have people that don't understand because they all know me as the "dog person" so how could I NOT rescue?!?

But what is more annoying is the people who just... do not understand that 'breeder' is such a loose term, it doesn't fit all of them. Media, PETA and SPCA, etc, have all shoved down our throats that "rescue not breeder" and lump all breeders as bad. So when a normal non-dog person thinks breeder, they think they're all one in the same. Like my mom is dog-dumb, she knows nothing about dogs besides what I tell her, and when my cousin got a puppy... she exclaims to me "and she did the RIGHT thing... she rescued it from a farm in PA in amish country. They had all kinds of different breeds. Hers is a peek-a-poo. See, she didn't go to a pet store and get a dog from a puppy mill!" *slaps head* But she's not trying to be mean... she just truly doesn't understand at ALL. So she hears in her head: pet stores = bad. And that's that.

Or like the people I know who have gotten dogs from 'breeders' ... they've all been the 'oh my teacup Yorkie flies in tomorrow from Missouri!' kind of people. And they can't differentiate that from a reputable breeder.
__________________
Brit & Jackson
~ It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas ~

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site