Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-17-2012, 08:12 PM
SBT Lover!!

Default Anti-Breeder Attitudes?

More and more of my FB "friends" and pages I "like" are posting anti-breeding/anti-breeder posts. I have seen several different "friends" share the following pictures from an anti-breeder page.

I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends." I disagree with this anti-breeder attitude, though, and here's why.

If a ban on breeding truly succeeded and there were no breeders, and people succeeded at having every dog spayed/neutered, about 10-15 years down the line we would have no more dogs and, as a dog lover, that would be a wolrd I would not want to live in. I truly believe that ethical/responsible/reputable breeders can have a place in this world along side rescuers/shelters. I know of some that do, but if this anti-breeder attitude continues, I fear for that relationship which makes me fear for the dogs.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:20 PM
such sights to show you

Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Delete them, I do.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
I'm not a breeder, never will be a breeder, and have never had a dog from a breeder. But that's how I see Yoshi sometimes. She was $15 from the shelter but turned into a giant hole that I occasionally stand at the edge at and toss money into. XD

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Indeed.

I have one rescue and one dog from a breeder. I'm not opposed to either, but so many rescues are hard to work with. Most of them would turn me down at this point because I have an intact male and my dogs aren't "current" on vaccines (Gavroche was due for his 3-year distemper this year, but I'm not doing it for at least two more years, and neither of my dogs will get kennel cough vaccines anymore). Gavroche was an independent rescue that I got through the clinic, so I didn't have to deal with a program.

My vet/boss, who does a TON of reproduction work, bought a pug (of all breeds) from a BYB. Why? Because every rescue he attempted to get a dog from turned him down. Funny how that works.
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:56 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatStina View Post
I have never bought a dog from a breeder, but my next dog may very well be from a breeder. I have a feeling I am going to get a lot of flack from my rescue "friends." I may even lose some of these "friends."
I did. Lose some sort of casual friends over getting a purebred dog and from Not Rescue. Figured I didn't need that sort of person in my life anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well, same old same old... simple answers and oversimplification are easier than thinking about the nuances of a complex issue.

Also one of my pet peeves is... it's not like no money changes hands for rescues. You're essentially buying a dog from a rescue.
^this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keechak View Post
YOu know this is actually pretty accurate for me

when I look at my dogs I can definitely see the hundreds and thousands of dollars I've put into them before breeding. These creatures are black holes that money never comes back out of they just take and take and....
XD
Oh how the truth hurts...and that is the truth...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 10-18-2012, 08:39 AM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
the best way to respond to crap like in the OP is to relate stories like this. it opens dialogue w/ the ignorant but open minded that want to do the right thing. the "true believers" will never convert, but at least you can reach those on the side lines.
This is what I'm afraid of. I have two dogs currently. A spayed bitch and an intact male I show and trial. My husband wants a dog, but right now isn't the right time. He'd like to attempt training it to possibly do some hog hunting, tracking? I'm not sure. He truly knows very little about it, and I wouldn't know where to start either. Basically whatever his dog is will end up being trained basic manners by me and will end up being a pet, since I have a feeling he will get bored with the training, or not know what to do. I'd like to rescue another young cattle dog mix or cattle dog since we both like the ACD's and they could potentially make a decent hunting partner for my husband. I've seen some nice ones come through rescue, but I haven't bothered contacting anyone because I know we will get turned down. No one would give us a rescue if we admitted wanting to try hunting with it, and no one would sell us a rescue while I have an intact dog in the house.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Delete them, I do.
Love it!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

I find it ridiculous.

GOOD reputable breeders are NOT the problem (you know the people who make you sign a contract stating that if you cannot have your dog anymore, they take them back)... their dogs aren't the ones over-crowding the shelters

My next dog will 95% be from a breeder. I have very specific wants for my next dog, and I also just... want to. And it is kind of irritating, I am sure I will have people that don't understand because they all know me as the "dog person" so how could I NOT rescue?!?

But what is more annoying is the people who just... do not understand that 'breeder' is such a loose term, it doesn't fit all of them. Media, PETA and SPCA, etc, have all shoved down our throats that "rescue not breeder" and lump all breeders as bad. So when a normal non-dog person thinks breeder, they think they're all one in the same. Like my mom is dog-dumb, she knows nothing about dogs besides what I tell her, and when my cousin got a puppy... she exclaims to me "and she did the RIGHT thing... she rescued it from a farm in PA in amish country. They had all kinds of different breeds. Hers is a peek-a-poo. See, she didn't go to a pet store and get a dog from a puppy mill!" *slaps head* But she's not trying to be mean... she just truly doesn't understand at ALL. So she hears in her head: pet stores = bad. And that's that.

Or like the people I know who have gotten dogs from 'breeders' ... they've all been the 'oh my teacup Yorkie flies in tomorrow from Missouri!' kind of people. And they can't differentiate that from a reputable breeder.