Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Member Introductions

Old 10-13-2012, 12:47 AM
Active Pup

Default ABC student

Hello, my name is Jamille(Jamie for short) and I am currently enrolled in the Animal Behavior College as a dog trainer. I should be graduating shortly, but overall wasn't happy with the experience. I feel I wasn't taught much past the absolute basics, but I want to be an amazing trainer so I am here to learn more.

I have no dogs at the moment, unfortunately, I just moved away from my parents house and from the family dog which is a 6 year old yellow lab we saved from an abusive family about 4 years ago. She is very timid and still will role onto her back when scared and wet herself.

So if you see me in the forums, its because I am trying to learn and understand everything I can about dogs and dog training, and I hope you will be able to help me be the kind of dog trainer people need today.

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Top Dog

Best way to learn is these forums, hands down. Speaking with other trainers is an invaluable resource. So you've come to a great place. Also watching YouTube videos and finding out what trainers you like, reading their books, reading other books...it's a great way to go.

I plan to go to ABC as well, even though I have heard they only teach basics. I personally figure that it's a good way to show that I do have formal education in that area. I also plan to go to the Casi Institute for a canine behavior certification. Finding a mentor is also a good way to learn. I am trying to gear towards becoming CPDT certified. Also keep a look out for seminars in your area.

Welcome to the forum!

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-13-2012, 01:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Best way to learn is these forums, hands down
Nope, best way to learn is hands-on with an experienced trainer. But the forums are a good resource!

Welcome! You're certainly not the first person I've heard from that has been disappointed by ABC.

Quote:
I plan to go to ABC as well, even though I have heard they only teach basics. I personally figure that it's a good way to show that I do have formal education in that area.
Eh, I personally wouldn't bother, and I wouldn't choose a trainer based on ABC. In fact I may steer clear of them unless they have extensive other experience. There are many better schools you could go to for a real education and experience with training.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:06 AM
Top Dog

Speaking in a reading/online sense... Forums have been more helpful than any article or book.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 10-13-2012, 01:17 AM
Top Dog

You're reading the wrong books if the forums have been a better resource for you.

Seriously, the best experience is hands on. Learning from people that actually compete and do things with their dogs. Start working towards a CGC on your own dog and then go from there.

Some of my favorite books,

If Bones rained from the sky
The other end of the leash
Control un leashed
Don't shoot the dog
Culture Clasha
Click to Calm
and many more. I will go through my stack and see what ones I'm missing.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 10-13-2012, 06:58 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Chrome View Post
You're reading the wrong books if the forums have been a better resource for you.
Agreed.
Also agreed with the book suggestions. Add “When Pigs Fly” by Jane Killion to the list along with anything by Turgid Rugaas or Brenda Aloff for reading body language.

ABC is not very well respected that I know of, even by people who are ABC mentors LOL!
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-13-2012, 07:12 AM
Just try me..

Welcome

Where do you wish to go with training? Ie do you want to teach pet dog classes? Be competitive in dog sports yourself (when you have a dog of course) teach service dogs etc?
Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Welcome to the forum I think Chaz is a great place to learn in addition to hands on, books, etc. Hope to see you around

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-18-2012, 04:50 PM
Active Pup

Well with ABC, before I saw commercials I never even thought of being a trainer, just that I had a knack for working with dogs and that I loved animals. By the time I realized that there are better schools out there I had already signed up and was starting. If I had to do it all over again I would choose a better school in a heartbeat

Go back to the first point, I wasn't planning on being a trainer until I had signed up for this course, so as to what I want to do with this knowledge I'm still not 100% sure. I just know I wanna know everything possible so no matter what I choose to do I will excel at it