Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 10-12-2012, 11:32 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Default Christian chazzers. . .

I need advice.
How do I stop saying God's name in vain? Have any of you had to deal with that? Or really, any of you who've tried to stop swearing or using certain phrases for any reason?
It's a pretty deeply engrained habit for me and I don't realize I'm saying "Oh my God!" or "Jesus Christ!" (sometimes mixed with various expletives, making it sound way worse) until it's way too late. Last Sunday I said it while in the freaking church, in front of a group of people who'd just been praying with me. I wanted to sink through the floor, and this Sunday I don't want to mess up again like that.

Note: I know bringing up religion here on Chaz can be tricky. I don't intend to start *any* kind of debate with this. I'm just hoping I can get some ideas to stop a bad habit.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:41 PM
orange iguanas.

Ugh I can imagine that would be super tricky to stop if you're used to saying those phrases. I do say "oh my God" even though I TRY really hard to say GOSH. Doesn't always work out though but I'm at least aware of it and don't think slipping up now and then is a big deal.

Growing up, saying "Jesus Christ!" was just as awful as saying the f-word so it's something I never got in the habit of saying.

One of those things I guess that you have to be mindful of especially when you're at church. Kind of like needing to be on your best behavior at Christmas or at grandma's birthday lol. If you can stop yourself from saying those phrases there, it might spill over into the rest of your life.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 10-12-2012, 11:42 PM
Big Dog

Oh trust me! I know exactly how you feel, I've even said Oh my ******* God, and I feel like total crap after realizing what I said. For a sin to be a sin there must be intention of commiting the sin. I think God knows we are not perfect and we do make mistakes, we just have to ask for His forgiveness. My priest tells me that if I ever slip the OMFG or OMG I should say a prayer for someone that needs it.

I am not sure if posting links to other forums is allowed or not (mods please delete this if it's not allowed) but Catholic Answers is a great forum for Christians and Catholics.

If you are concerned you should really talk with your prieat or go to confessions, we are not perfect and we all have bad 'habits', God knows when we try our best to not do bad things, that's why it is important to go to confession IMO.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

i vote negative reinforcement let everyone know to call you on it. everytime you say OMG you knock out 10 pushups. every time you say OMFG you knock out 20.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:44 AM
Top Dog

We weren't allowed to say it growing up, so I really don't do it much. I just try to make a conscious mental effort to say something else, and since a corny sense of humor is hereditary in this family, I can come up with something else (albeit corny...lol).

I do say "Oh, geez..." a lot. Since I encourage my boys to say "Oh my goodness" so much, I find myself thinking/saying it.

Mental visualization. Mentally visualize saying something else. When you constantly put another phrase into your mind, you'll find yourself going to that phrase first over the one you wish to avoid.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Taxiderpy

You can stick a rubber band on your wrist and snap yourself too, if dropping and doing pushups isn't an option wherever you go.

When quitting a habit it's way easier to replace it with a different, more desirable habit than to just erase it. I'd pick something you want to replace it with and then negative reinforce when you slip up.

For some people putting a quarter in a jar to give away works well.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:17 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree. Get people to call you on it when you do it.

for me it was saying "Stupid". Hannah said it one day and I told her that it's not a nice thing to say and we shouldn't say it. Well, she only needs to be told once and she's got it and then she starts calling me on it lol. So everytime I would say Stupid she would say "Mommy, that's not a nice word, you shouldn't say it" and she's right. I never realized how much I said it until she started pointing it out.

After a bit of conditioning I don't say it anymore at all. Shut Up was another big one. I would always yell out the door to the dogs "SHUTUP" lol and then hannah started saying it. UGH.

So having someone point it out to you whenever you say it will help you realize when it happens and help you form a mental block LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I agree with the others Also, pick a different word! Really, pick a silly one or one more appropriate. This works with all ages, you should hear the three year olds in my class
I say "Gee" and "good grief" a lot. Don't know where I picked it up from haha
One of my professors said.... Beans and boogers. Yeah, that was an interesting class

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 10-13-2012, 07:32 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

LOL good grief is what I say most of the time too. Or Oh my goodness

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 10-13-2012, 08:15 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I agree that replacing it with another phrase is really helpful. I was never allowed to say it growing up, so it's not a habit for me, but I do catch myself saying/typing it because my friends use it, and it just kind of comes out at times.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)