Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Top Dog

Default Would you buy a 'trained' dog?

I don't think I've ever thought too much about this, but an ad got me wondering.

Obviously there's a market for puppies, a market for the mysterious shelter dogs, a market for rehomes or aged breeder dogs, a market for even trained protection dogs.

Next new thing...professionally trained companion dogs? The kennel in question is selling two purebred dogs (lab and a boxer) for $7500 and $6500, "fully trained in on/off leash obedience".

I do think it's kind of a good idea for people that have had trouble starting dogs or have specific requirements, but I think the cost is a little silly. I'm not sure someone that has trouble training their dogs will even be able to keep those dogs behaving..I really think a lot of training troubles is more the owner than the dog.

Oh..and you can buy one of their personal protection dogs for $65,000 if you wish..

Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Got Floof?

I definitely would not mind this. In fact, I've spoken (a bit, and months ago) with a friend whom I may get a pup from about going this route in part due to my living situation not lending itself to the puppy training that would be required.

And even with my last puppy, Priscilla, I did look for an older dog that was pre-trained. The convinence is compelling when one works as much as I do.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 10-09-2012, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I could see why someone would want that but I really like working with my dogs. I always thought of that as part of the whole bonding thing.

But I could easily undercut their price... Hmmmm.

Old 10-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Got Floof?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I could see why someone would want that but I really like working with my dogs. I always thought of that as part of the whole bonding thing.

But I could easily undercut their price... Hmmmm.
Oh, I do like working with dogs too. My puppy fever is entering nuclear reactive levels, as some may have noticed. I'd take a pup in a heartbeat if I could, and I'd love to raise another pup of my own. But I'd settle for a good pup, no matter whether it's 2 months or 8 months old, as long as I could make it fit with my lifestyle.

EDIT: Tons of comments came in while I posted lol. I should note that I've known this person for many, many years and am relatively familiar with her training style.

If that were not the case, I would definitely not buy a pup from a breeder that trains with harsh corrections.

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 10-09-2012, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Me personally? No. But I do think it is something for which there is probably a decent market. The price would have to be lower though. I think even something like $2000 or $3000 might sell. People are paying nearly that for puppies half the time. A ten month old or 15 month old dog of the same quality, who is housebroken, crate trained, walks nicely on a leash and comes when called? Heck, you've hit the holy grail for a lot of people.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Me personally? No. But I do think it is something for which there is probably a decent market. The price would have to be lower though. I think even something like $2000 or $3000 might sell. People are paying nearly that for puppies half the time. A ten month old or 15 month old dog of the same quality, who is housebroken, crate trained, walks nicely on a leash and comes when called? Heck, you've hit the holy grail for a lot of people.
I have always thought this should be. Yet often there are dogs in shelters and rescues who fit this criteria and they languish because people still have the idea they need to get a puppy for it to love them.

People will pay $$$ for a puppy yet that same puppy a few months later, and many skills 'smarter' is now worth next to nothing.

My friend who has Snip loved the fact he came fully trained. He even was skilled in JRT stuff so all she has to do is take him to a trial and he knows what to do.

IME horse people are more willing to see the value of a trained dog. Who wants to raise a weanling? VS a nicely started 4 years old lol!
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
People will pay $$$ for a puppy yet that same puppy a few months later, and many skills 'smarter' is now worth next to nothing.
This is sadly very true. As a breeder, I often keep 2-3 puppies to raise up. Once I decide who to keep, I look for homes for the others. These pups are already house-trained, crate-trained, and have some basic house manners yet people will simply not pay the same price they would have for a completely untrained 8 week old puppy. I don't get it?
Old 10-10-2012, 02:17 PM
Top Dog

I would not, but I buy dogs because I enjoy training them. Training is the point of my buying a dog. I am not going to buy a dog unless I have something to train it for.

The prices are pretty on par. Raising a dog is expensive, and if it's part of your business the time is money too. It's very common in sport dogs, schutzhund, field, herding. A well trained companion dog has a lot of training time behind it, especially if you are going for off leash reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodelDogs View Post
This is sadly very true. As a breeder, I often keep 2-3 puppies to raise up. Once I decide who to keep, I look for homes for the others. These pups are already house-trained, crate-trained, and have some basic house manners yet people will simply not pay the same price they would have for a completely untrained 8 week old puppy. I don't get it?
Charge more. Market the pup as a started dog.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
APBT crazy!

For that much? No way. I prefer training my own dogs. I could see it working for someone who isn't very dog savvy or whatever, but I wouldn't pay that much for a dog of my own. Training your dog or puppy no matter where the dog came from helps you bond more. So yeah, I don't think I would personally pay that much for a "fully trained dog" when I can train the dog or puppy myself.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

No. For one I feel like they've probably been trained by methods I would not agree with. I don't know why, just the vibe I get from those sort of things. That's probably the biggest reason I wouldn't do it, I'd be worried about the dog having been trained with physical punishments and thus having a dog who listens to me out of fear.
Secondly, I think changing owners will make a big difference in the dog's behavior. Many dogs will only listen to those who have trained them, not random people. The new owner would still have to train the dog. Also, if the dog's ARE trained with punishment you'd likely have to make them equally afraid of you in order for them to listen.

I also happen to enjoy training my dog and think it is a huge part in building the bond between dog and human.

ETA: I'm not talking about "pre owned" dogs that are simply being rehomed and happen to have been trained while in their home. I'm more refering to kennels or training facilities that seem to buy dogs just to train and sell. I'm also not referring to manners, I'm referring to commands. Manners I could see working better.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!