Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-21-2012, 01:09 PM
Top Dog

Default Breastfeeding in public

How do you feel about it?

I understand... I really do. If your breastfeeding and your baby is hungry, your baby is hungry.

But I can't stand the people who just feel the need to do it... JUST BECAUSE.

I work at a daycare in a gym, we're open from 8am-12:30pm for the mornings, and we have this one woman who insists on coming in around 8:30, then she sits there for like 15 mins in the daycare room trying to talk to us, all the while breast feeding her 9 month old child. Then she does it AGAIN when she picks up at 12 ish. seriously?!? You can't breastfeed your kid BEFORE your come into the daycare room, or after you leave? It's almost like she just wants to "show off" or something the fact that she's still breastfeeding. I just find it completely unnecessary and it's SO awkward to talk to her, she doesn't do a great job at covering up lol.

I'm no prude, but c'mon, take it somewhere private(ish)!

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Top Dog

They are boobs. Mostly food for babies. It bothers me none, unless they are just throwing them in your face to show off the fact they are breastfeeding.

In which case, it's annoying. But so is anything else that involves parents throwing their kids in your face and saying you don't know **** because you're childless. So, meh. Nothing against breastfeeding in particular, just the attitude.

Lyz and Zander
zaner-waner-fluffy-butt <3

'05 Siberian Husky

Old 09-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
They are boobs. Mostly food for babies. It bothers me none, unless they are just throwing them in your face to show off the fact they are breastfeeding.

In which case, it's annoying. But so is anything else that involves parents throwing their kids in your face and saying you don't know **** because you're childless. So, meh. Nothing against breastfeeding in particular, just the attitude.
I agree. The attitude irritates, the action itself, does not bother me.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
Top Dog

I admit, it makes me fairly uncomfortable. I wouldn't say "oh my gosh mothers shouldn't do that", but I'd sure rather it didn't happen in front of me.

So do a lot of other things that I see in public. Just like with those things, I just avoid what I can and ignore what I can't.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I admit, it makes me fairly uncomfortable. I wouldn't say "oh my gosh mothers shouldn't do that", but I'd sure rather it didn't happen in front of me.

So do a lot of other things that I see in public. Just like with those things, I just avoid what I can and ignore what I can't.
Same here. Maybe it's because so many breastfeeding moms have talked about how it's not "just" feeding the baby, it's about bonding with the baby - so to me it's like intruding on something private and personal. It's not a "ew, gross" reaction, it's something else, and I feel like I shouldn't be intruding on this.

The funny thing is whenever conversations about breastfeeding in public come up, some of these moms are the same ones to start ranting how it IS "just" feeding the baby so nobody should care...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post

Yeah, this.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post

this
but less annoyed because boobies & babies are adorable (but never hot because that is kind of creepy to me)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:19 PM
We are Home.

Yep Ive even walked around walmart breastfeeding. I do try to use a blanket/prefold/cover to latch her but otherwise no. I wear 2 shirts and you can only see skin you see much more skin from my tanktop. If I didnt she would scream the entire trip and I do a weeks worth at a time because I live 20 miles away. It might be the only way she can get her full workout in and Savannah at her age even will try to pull a cover off or it will lay on her face if im not careful. Savannah nurses hourly still at 2 months.

Heck I did a interview with the cops breastfeeding, sat at McD's play area and breastfed (inside the restaurant too), walk around Js store breastfeedin, play area in the mall. Its life babies need to eat and stopping everything to feed them is a waste of time if you can do what you need to and feed..

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-21-2012, 01:23 PM
Behavior Nerd

Um maybe she does it in the daycare room because she feels it's less likely to get her judged than doing it in the gym? Maybe she thinks it helps her baby settle before she leaves him or her? Perhaps she has a long drive and she's feeding her baby so you guys don't have to deal with a hungry infant? Why jump to such hasty conclusions??

They're boobs, you work with small kids who may be breastfed, get over it.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Um maybe she does it in the daycare room because she feels it's less likely to get her judged than doing it in the gym? Maybe she thinks it helps her baby settle before she leaves him or her? Perhaps she has a long drive and she's feeding her baby so you guys don't have to deal with a hungry infant? Why jump to such hasty conclusions??

They're boobs, you work with small kids who may be breastfed, get over it.
All of us who work there feel the same, it's not just me, lol. Her baby is really well behaved, she loves being left there and hardly ever cries. She also leaves us a bottle so it's not like we can't give her some food if she's hungry. The baby is never, like, "asking" to be breastfed. It's literally just her doing it... just to do it. She also lives about 5 minutes away.

Wow, I'm allowed to feel the way I feel, I'm not going to "get over it". It's not something that I would ever tell her to stop, but I'm sorry, to ME it's awkward to talk to someone who I don't know closely when their boob is hanging out lol *shrugs* I didn't grow up in a family who breastfed, either... none of my siblings ever were, and neither was I, or my cousins, so it's just not common for ME. I understand it's natural and have no issue with people doing it, and sometimes it has to be done.

But in THIS particular situation I am talking about, it's her attitude and almost snobbyness about it, like she WANTS us to see she's still breastfeeding.

Brit & Jackson