Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 AM
Blackout

Default Recommendations for my bro please

What would you guys recommend for my brother? He wants a dog of his "own" (Katalin has NEVER been handled by him, blows him off completely - and beside the point he doesn't like big dogs).

He had his heart completely set on a female Norwich terrier puppy. I shouted him down about not getting a female for Katalin's sake (I don't want any bitch fights or blood drawn in their maturity) or a terrier - explaining that they have extremely high drives, nearly inexhaustible energy levels, and are ALOT of dog to handle. He will not be dissuaded about getting his own puppy soon though - but has conceded to another non-terrier type - it's still going to be a female though...

I've explained that this is NOT the time to be bringing a puppy home with Katalin not even at a year old yet nor fully trained either. He will NOT be convinced otherwise and I've got a feeling we will be expecting a new member of the family quite soon.... Oh well, let's make the best of it then.

He wants something:

Playful yet un-hyper
Health issue free (relatively)
Lap/bed ornament like
Very affectionate/cuddly
Something that doesn't require a huge amount of work to be a good pet
Very eager to please/can learn tricks quickly

I've recommended miniature Aussies, mini American Eskimos, PW corgi, low-drive Papillion, low-drive Maltese, toy poodle, or Coton. I realize the options I've listed don't exactly fit the criteria to a tee but my brother is irresponsible, immature and will ultimately leave alot of the work to my and my parents. So these are all small dogs that I could stand having on walks/training sessions with Katalin and that I could return to him for his cuddles/tricks/whatever after the "work" they require to keep them sane and under control is completed.

Anyone have any further suggestions or tips?
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-26-2012, 07:49 AM
Top Dog

a big stick to whack your brother upside the head with?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 08-26-2012, 08:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
...He wants something:

Playful yet un-hyper
Health issue free (relatively)
Lap/bed ornament like
Very affectionate/cuddly
Something that doesn't require a huge amount of work to be a good petVery eager to please/can learn tricks quickly
Not to sound snarky or anything, but a stuffed dog would be my suggestion. Especially after reading the bolded part.
Old 08-26-2012, 05:47 PM
Blackout

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Tried it - doesn't work =(.

Thanks so much everyone! Well I've showed him photos of what Whippets/Italian Greyhounds look like - he's not that into them (right now). He was thinking of a Aussie but I told him it would probably be as much, if not more work than Katalin - that turned him right off.

Indeed Laurelin! He thinks Katalin is a HUGE amount of work - she's not the most basic puppy for sure but she isn't super exhaustive to me at least. 2 x classes a week (beginning this fall) for an hour a time, 2 hours combined walking time per day, 30 - 45 minutes training and practice at home a day, a thorough brushing out several times a week, and lots of play/hanging out throughout everyday (well - the last one isn't so hard lol).

I've tried explaining to him that alot of small dogs are just as much work, if not more so than a big dog/LGD - and can get out of hand just as easily without the right training and structure. But it doesn't seem to register in that fat head of his =/

He's agreed to visit a few shelters first and if a suitable adult dog is available - he's agreed to keep an open mind. Otherwise... it's down to a shih tzu, toy poodle, or show/pet quality PW corgi now apparently.

I'm rooting for the Corgi - he'll need to exercise it alot, learn some training techniques and hopefully take it out to do some kind of activity (competitive or not). He's overweight (230 lbs at 5'11) and NEEDS some kind of incentive to get his ass out and do SOMETHING. I made it really clear to him that it would be HIS dog and he can't dump the responsibility of it on any of us if he finds it alot of work. I've made it even more clear that if he even so much as brings up dumping the dog or abandoning it if he gets bored that he's a dead man.

A shelter dog would be great too of course - but hopefully it won't be too sedate - as I said, my bro needs to get out of the house more often. For my sake as well as his. If I have to put up with anymore of his World of Warcraft or Guild wars gaming sound effects I may be required to stab him.

But all irresponsibility, immaturity, and pig headed selfishness put aside - new puppy/dog possibly in a few weeks. Ahh! =)
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Taxiderpy

Getting a dog as incentive to exercise rarely works. In many cases, the dog ends up not getting enough exercise because the owner never fully changed their habit. And while I don't doubt your brother-whooping abilities, you're not going to live with him for the duration of the dogs life.

Would your parents consider making it a condition of getting a dog that he go out and take a 30 minute walk 2x a day for a certain number of weeks beforehand? If he's not willing to put in the effort in order to get a dog, then they'll have first hand proof that he's not going to do it after getting one (so that it will fall on them). Also, making it a habit now will go a lot farther toward making sure the dogs needs are met when/if he finds a good fit.

ETA: Arrange to have him meet some whippets in person. Many people find them wimpy/off-putting in pictures, but in person they are fun, very sturdy athletic little dogs.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
A shelter dog would be great too of course - but hopefully it won't be too sedate - as I said, my bro needs to get out of the house more often. For my sake as well as his. If I have to put up with anymore of his World of Warcraft or Guild wars gaming sound effects I may be required to stab him.
I just wanted to point out that choosing a more active dog in the hopes that someone will change their activity level is NEVER a good idea.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Otherwise... it's down to a shih tzu, toy poodle, or show/pet quality PW corgi now apparently.
I've seen a ton of SSA in corgis (Pems, I've only known one Cardigan). Both males and females - the people know who have multiples basically accept breaking up fights as part of life. I'm not sure if it would extend to other breeds as much, as the ones I know are usually in homes with multiple corgis. But since you mention that being a concern with your dog in the house as well, it may be worth really looking into.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:56 AM
Top Dog

Does it have to be small? What about a greyhound?

Or the local shelter special of the week, something low key? Maybe bring him down to the shelter and check the dogs out.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:19 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I really wouldn't recommend a mini Aussie, a Corgi, or an American Eskimo. Without getting thebright dog from the right lines, he's likely to end up with a hyperactive, neurotic mess. Aussies aren't easy dogs by any means, Corgis tend to have DA/reaction issues, and every ill bred Eskie I've met has been insane.

First thing that popped into my head was a Cavilier King Charles, but they have health issues. An Italian Greyhound, but they are very difficult to housebreak. Smal toy breeds - poodle, Maltese, bichon, Shih Tzu, etc. They are happy enough dogs that it would be hard to really screw them up...of course, training and socialization is still super important to avoid issues, but they're happier fulfilling a pet role than other breeds and don't typically need an experienced handiler.

Old 08-26-2012, 08:24 AM
Top Dog

Any dog that is going to be easy to train/willing to please is most likely never going to be a "bed ornament". Aussies, Eskie's, Papillons and Corgis should probably be crossed off that list quickly.

I would also recommend a stuffed animal. Or maybe a goldfish.

But if this is going to happen either way.... Pugs tend to be good family pets, and enjoy being active when they can be, or just lounging around the house if they have to. Shihtzu's tend to be playful enough, yet pretty low energy. Japanese Chin, Pekingese?

Of course, ANY dog should get some form of exercise, and attention, and need training. But these are just breeds that came to mind for maybe not as high maintenance, and would be happy just being a house pet.

Brit & Jackson