Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

Default How much information and when?

I put a listing up for my kennel, not in a huge rush but also didn't want to wait last minute (I know I waited years for each dog depending....).

Don't have the full website up yet but wanted to get my name out there anyway.

So doing up a bit of a form letter to have all the information down so it's worded the way I like and I don't forget anything. Question is how much info is good and how much is too much?

I do want to put the health stuff in there, since there are sooo many border collie breeders who do nothing health wise or just do hips. I did a short blurb on each disease which of course takes up some space but it's worth it, right? I figure if someone doesn't want to read all of that I don't want to deal with them.... and at the same time at least I've given that information....
Old 08-23-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

IMO more is better and all info you can is best when it comes to kennels online XD

Old 08-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

If I am looking at a breeder's website, I want as much info as possible so that I don't need to ask those basic/stupid questions when I call them, wasting everyone's time. It's also easier to know that stuff beforehand so I can decide if I even want to move forward with contacting the person.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:05 PM
Top Dog

I like a really thorough website. Something that tells me the breeder cares about their dogs and the breed, what the breeder's goals are for their puppies/dogs, something that shows their dogs' accomplishments, information about health and health clearances, photos etc.

The more information I can gather from a website, the happier I am. To be honest, I tend not to even give a breeder a second look if they don't have an informative website (or any website at all) unless I know somebody with a dog from that breeder who has good things to say.

I wouldn't necessarily go into every itty bitty detail, as the buyer should also be able to ask questions and you should be able to provide a more indepth answer at that point either in e-mail/phone/in person. But the basics should be there for sure, and if there's more, then great. I've come across situations where I really didn't know what to ask a breeder though as everything was on their website already, but in that case I just tried to verify things rather than ask questions directly, so it worked out. Plus, that's probably something one should do anyway as you never know if information on a breeder's website is actually legit (as I found out after buying a dog). So I don't think there is really such a thing as too much information, just too little.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I also enjoy a very informative website. I LIKE knowing how much the breeder knows, how willing they are to educate, info on each dog, dog's parents or offspring, goals, at least ONE good side shot of the dog, so on so forth. As long as the website is clean, professional, and organized, I don't mind tons of info. Now, if everything is just strewn all over the place, that can get hard to read.

I don't think there is too much information, honestly. Just as long as it is properly organized, clean, and professional.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Just as long as it is properly organized, clean, and professional.
Just wanted to repeat this.

I don't know if I'll ever go through a breeder but I do occasionally brows through breeder websites and I see very few that are any of those three things.

Old 08-23-2012, 02:43 PM
*Now with Snark*

My ideal website mentions the dogs, health information, a basic pedigree, achievements, and strengths and weaknesses of each dog. Photos are a big plus.

Generally speaking I don't worry if they spend alot of time on very basic breed information. That's what google is for.
Old 08-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Top Dog

I'm working on the website stuff and have done an intro letter and application, the letter has some good basic information on what I do as far as testing and such, and the application should weed out a lot of people (if they don't want to answer all those questions, then that's a bad sign! LOL). I don't like getting into huge detail, if someone has no clue on conformation they're not going to get it, if they know about conformation stacked shots etc. will give them their own imput. And honestly you can put anything on a website, doesn't mean it's always true to form.

I figure people will get the idea of what I'll be doing and how and either appreciate that and go with it, or look elsewhere if they don't.
Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM
Top Dog

Adding to what has already been mentioned- good, clear pictures.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

Concise, clean and easy to navigate are important. Dog's accomplishments, future goals, health clearances and personality traits are necessary as well. Bonus if there are videos of the dog doing the activities they are trained in (herding, agility, etc) and videos showing the dog's personality.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie