Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:03 AM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,256
Default Your training methods (luring/free shaping/other)

how would you describe your dog training methods/philosophy? I'm always curious about this kind of stuff and I follow a few of you chaz people on youtube and it's interesting to see how people train!

So..do you lure? free shape? other? how would you go about teaching something new? any corrections? tools?

go!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:06 AM
SaraB SaraB is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 5,652
Default

I 100% free shape everything. There's just something cool about watching a dog figure things out. The disadvantage to this is that I have dogs that refuse to be lured, so if I ever do try to lure them they look at me like I'm crazy. Things like Zuma's backward leg weave would have been a lot easier if she would lure but she wouldn't. I'm ok with that though, I ended up with a leg weave that didn't need anything faded and I'm happy with the results.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM
PWCorgi's Avatar
PWCorgi PWCorgi is offline
Priscilla Winifred Corgi
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Twin Citay!
Posts: 14,546
Default

I'd say about 80% of what I do is free-shaping. The other 20% is luring and staving.
__________________

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi


*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:32 AM
Taqroy's Avatar
Taqroy Taqroy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Colorado
Posts: 5,495
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'd say about 80% of what I do is free-shaping. The other 20% is luring and staving.


I mostly free shape. Mu and (surprisingly) Murphy are really good at free shaping. Tipper is pretty good and getting better. I used to lure a lot but Mu's shaped behaviors are 1000 times more solid than the lured. I am a convert.

I use no reward markers but I try really hard not to use physical correction.

Quote:
My philosophy pretty much has been to have fun, enjoy yourself and make sure your dog is right there with you.
I like this.
__________________


I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Linds's Avatar
Linds Linds is offline
Twin 2
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 6,644
Default

With Traveler is was a mix between free shaping, luring, body position and thinking about it really hard because he reads my mind.

With Didgie so far I've been completely hands off and free shaped everything.

Tools would be markers and odds and ends around the house to use for them to interact with and lots and lots of food, fun and toys.

My philosophy pretty much has been to have fun, enjoy yourself and make sure your dog is right there with you.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-13-2012, 11:53 AM
SpringerLover's Avatar
SpringerLover SpringerLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B-ville
Posts: 3,093
Default

I free shape to the extent that I have specific set ups for specific competition behaviors. I don't shape things like heel position because it tends to be sloppy no matter how you try to "fix it." I teach the position using a pedestal with me moving into correct position first and work from there.

I do lure fold-back downs because so few dogs are reliable about offering it and it's something I want on cue early on, rather than the sloppy sit first down.

So, I free shape about 95%, and use tools to get the correct response. I lure about 5% probably?
__________________
Megan and the Aroha English Springer Spaniels
To Infinity and Beyond! ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC 5/4/1998-5/20/2014
The Hallway Monitor Bailey VCD1 RE NAC NCC TN-N CGC 14 years
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Emily's Avatar
Emily Emily is offline
Rollin' with my bitches
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Illinois
Posts: 2,115
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
I free shape to the extent that I have specific set ups for specific competition behaviors. I don't shape things like heel position because it tends to be sloppy no matter how you try to "fix it." I teach the position using a pedestal with me moving into correct position first and work from there.

I do lure fold-back downs because so few dogs are reliable about offering it and it's something I want on cue early on, rather than the sloppy sit first down.

So, I free shape about 95%, and use tools to get the correct response. I lure about 5% probably?
You took the words out of my mouth, even down to heeling and down being what I lure. I also do a lot with/focus on reward placement, which is different than luring but comes into play a ton during agility (and can be applied to obedience). The dog isn't doing the behavior because the treat is in front of him, but he does move a certain way or in a certain direction because of where the reward is typically delivered. Like, when Keeva does the channel weaves, I mark as soon as she exits and toss the toy out in front of her. That had her blasting through the channel and driving right to the end in a few reps.

For Mackenzy, I cue her over the broad jump and then land her ball in front of her so that she jumps high and straight, etc.

But yeah, I mostly free shape, except for those few behaviors where luring proves optimal for me, like heeling and the fold-back down.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:05 PM
SpringerLover's Avatar
SpringerLover SpringerLover is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: B-ville
Posts: 3,093
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You took the words out of my mouth, even down to heeling and down being what I lure. I also do a lot with/focus on reward placement, which is different than luring but comes into play a ton during agility (and can be applied to obedience). The dog isn't doing the behavior because the treat is in front of him, but he does move a certain way or in a certain direction because of where the reward is typically delivered. Like, when Keeva does the channel weaves, I mark as soon as she exits and toss the toy out in front of her. That had her blasting through the channel and driving right to the end in a few reps.

For Mackenzy, I cue her over the broad jump and then land her ball in front of her so that she jumps high and straight, etc.

But yeah, I mostly free shape, except for those few behaviors where luring proves optimal for me, like heeling and the fold-back down.
Agility Right From The Start has some great advice on placement of reinforcement. I learned a lot from it, and my friend Kristen...
__________________
Megan and the Aroha English Springer Spaniels
To Infinity and Beyond! ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC 5/4/1998-5/20/2014
The Hallway Monitor Bailey VCD1 RE NAC NCC TN-N CGC 14 years
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-13-2012, 04:27 PM
Aleron's Avatar
Aleron Aleron is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 2,270
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You took the words out of my mouth, even down to heeling and down being what I lure. I also do a lot with/focus on reward placement, which is different than luring but comes into play a ton during agility (and can be applied to obedience). The dog isn't doing the behavior because the treat is in front of him, but he does move a certain way or in a certain direction because of where the reward is typically delivered. Like, when Keeva does the channel weaves, I mark as soon as she exits and toss the toy out in front of her. That had her blasting through the channel and driving right to the end in a few reps.
Pretty much same here too. There's some things that just make more sense to shape and some things that make more sense to lure. I shaped a lot with Savvy and he's a natural at it. It depends somewhat on the dog too. Some of my older dogs who weren't as exposed to shaping aren't as good at it.


For sure though, reward placement can make a huge difference. One example of that is Whim was having an issue with weaves - popping out of the last one. Our instructor suggested it was because I always throw the reward ahead. Which is great for many things with weaves but can eventually make some dogs want to hurry too much at the end to get their reward. So I started rewarding her right at the last pole and got results pretty quick. Now I switch it up, sometimes she gets a toy throw to maintain her speed and forward focus and sometimes she gets it or a treat at the last pole to remind her it's important to complete all of them.

I also see all the time when I'm teaching obedience type classes that dogs orient to wherever they most often get rewarded. Usually when people aren't thinking about reward placement, this tends to be in front of the owner. I don't know how many dogs I have had in CGC classes who would not sit at their owners side because they were always rewarded when in front. Or dogs who front after a recall slightly to one side or the other - depending on which hand the owner usually treats front. Dogs are so great at anticipation
__________________
Nikki & the Herding Breed Variety Pack
Visit Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Alerondogs
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Maliraptor's Avatar
Maliraptor Maliraptor is offline
Bite me.
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Southern California- The Desert Part
Posts: 820
Default

I lure, maybe 90%. Freeshape 10%.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site