Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 12-22-2005, 07:02 PM
Crayons' mommy

Default Puppy umbilical hernia surgery question

Hi - does anyone know how much surgery is for puppy umblical hernia? One of our pups needs surgery...but they're going to do it with the neuter surgery.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:06 PM
RedyreRottweilers

It won't increase the cost of the neuter by very much.
Speak to your vet about it.
Old 12-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Yep it depends on the vet, but usually its fairly simple, but needs to be treated
Old 12-22-2005, 07:37 PM
yuckaduck

Are you sure it is an umbilical hernia? Yukon had one of those and they just left it. He has a small bump there but it closed on its own. Vet said it had nothing to do with gentetics, it was from mom pulling to hard on the cord.
Faith has one too. We will leave it for it to close on its own too.

I have never had to go to surgury as an option!

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

Well, it can depend, an umbilical hernia is a pad of fat or part of an abdominal organ protrudes through an incompletly-closed umbilical ring. the tendency for the umbilical ring not to close properly is hereditary in some breeds. some say that they are cause buy the bitch pulling on the cord but this is now largely discredited. A small umbilical hernia is likely to disappear as the puppy gets older. However if a bitch puppy has a large hernia, or one that can be pushed back in with a finder then a vet should be consulted, how old is your pup?
Old 12-22-2005, 07:53 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
Well, it can depend, an umbilical hernia is a pad of fat or part of an abdominal organ protrudes through an incompletly-closed umbilical ring. the tendency for the umbilical ring not to close properly is hereditary in some breeds. some say that they are cause buy the bitch pulling on the cord but this is now largely discredited. A small umbilical hernia is likely to disappear as the puppy gets older. However if a bitch puppy has a large hernia, or one that can be pushed back in with a finder then a vet should be consulted, how old is your pup?
I assumed when it said going to fix during neuter it was a male pup because you neuter a male and spay a female. I could have assumed wrong.

I agree if you can push your finger through it needs to be attended too. Yukon's was small, and so far looks like Faith's is too. Hard to say because she is so small. Time will tell, when she goes for her vaccines it can be checked again then.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:25 PM
Crayons' mommy

Thanks everybody, I really appreciate everyone's help! - we'll definetely do it - I just wasn't sure if it would be hundreds of dollars so I could plan for something like that.

This is what it looks like - it's basically an "out-ty" belly button - but apparently the intestines can get trapped in there...

And this is what it looks like on one of the puppies who doesn't need surgery (might need it if it doesn't heal on it's own - but it's more like a pimple size) - by the way, that's one of the other puppies' heads on this puppies' belly - they were sleeping when I took this!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:10 PM
Crayons' mommy

This is one of our 7 week old pups. Three of them actually have it, but only one has it bad enough to need surgery. The vet didn't say much about it - I asked if it could have been prevented and he said this type of hernia is usually hereditary and the pups with it shouldn't be bred, nor the parents again. They are otherwise very healthy...and he said great things about them...but he didn't elaborate much on this. Just said the earliest they would take care of it was 4 months and that they would neuter (yes, it's a male pup) it early and do it then...unless it becomes an emergency before then. It's 1 cm...and reading online I found a lot about it and how usually they leave it alone if it's under 1.5 cm, but no one mentioned how much it cost or how risky the surgery was.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:14 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadanddenise
This is one of our 7 week old pups. Three of them actually have it, but only one has it bad enough to need surgery. The vet didn't say much about it - I asked if it could have been prevented and he said this type of hernia is usually hereditary and the pups with it shouldn't be bred, nor the parents again. They are otherwise very healthy...and he said great things about them...but he didn't elaborate much on this. Just said the earliest they would take care of it was 4 months and that they would neuter (yes, it's a male pup) it early and do it then...unless it becomes an emergency before then. It's 1 cm...and reading online I found a lot about it and how usually they leave it alone if it's under 1.5 cm, but no one mentioned how much it cost or how risky the surgery was.
Honestly I think you should follow the vets advice. That is the professional here not us. I doubt it will be too much more expensive but if you call and ask they should be able to tell you. Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

our little mixed breed female had one. got fixed when she got spayed at 6 months. think it cost about $25 plus the spay surgery, may have even been less but Im sure it depends on the vet. we were told it is not necassary, just a cosmetic surgery. we almost didnt do it but since they were already doing surgery and didnt need extra anesthesia or a seperate insision to go ahead and do it.