Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Default Red bone coonhound and walker hound

Hunting cats is huge where I live so I see these breeds a lot, but really dont know a heck of a lot about them. Most of the dogs i see seem to be definaty working bred. Would you guys care to enlighten me?

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 08-08-2012, 04:42 PM
Top Dog

One of my two heart dogs was a Redbone named Romeo he was amazing. Drive for days, he was an interesting boy though he would run a trail and bay but he was fairly catchy as well. We hunted with my uncles Plotts and houlas quite a bit on hogs and bear. He was a good pack dog as long as none tried to push him my other heart dog (rat terrier bitch) good beat n him as much as she wanted he was so in love with her . But he wasn't the best with other people very aloof and very protective (proven on a few occasions) not bad he just saw no use in other people other then me. That is fairly atypical though.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:58 AM
Top Dog

redbones have a reputation for being soft
treeing walkers are over bred & over hyped IMO, and IME the most common breed to pick fights (way more than plotts & houlas despite what a lot of walker doggers will say)
running walkers are a little overbred & hyped but much closer to what most doggers want out of their treeing walkers, fair handle, good drive, good speed & lots of bottom and much more amiable
Old 08-10-2012, 03:08 PM
The Littlest Hound

^pops covered it. I was just going to say forget 'em & get a plott

That being said, we had a really sweet walker pup for 6 or 7 months... sweet, goofy pup... nice enough, trained easily enough... but just goofy bordering on annoying

Most redbones I've met have been sweeeeet... that's about it honestly I dont think I've ever hunted with a redbone...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 08-10-2012, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

We kept a redbone once for a friend and she was dumb as a bag of rocks but I loved her to pieces. Sweet little gal, she just took her time growing a brain.

To be honest I don't hunt with many hounds (except black and tans) so I don't know anything besides that!

http://ejfoden.wix.com/efinkart
Old 08-10-2012, 03:56 PM
Top Dog

a really good person to ask is Tessa F in WY. you can find her on FB under Big Horn Posse Big Game Hounds. she used to only keep redbones but she runs a couple different breeds now. if i remember right she also keeps/kept them in the house as pets.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:02 AM
Top Dog

Pops, one of the vets I worked with breeds Running Walkers. Well, her husband does anyway. Their dogs are AMAZING! I'd never heard of them until she offered me two to use as bay dogs. They refused to stay on the trail of small game, and instead kept veering every time they smelled a hog. In that program, that gets you culled (and no, I don't mean spay/neutered and "adopted" out).

They were 10 months old when I got them, and I handed them over to a close hunting friend. He trained them for 2 months, and they took to tracking/baying hogs and working with his ABs and Catahoula Bulldogs very well. I've run my APBT, Tar Baby, with them as well, and all get along just fine. That pair is now 7 years old, and they're still going strong!

ETA: I wanted to say that these 2 dogs are sweet dogs, but I wouldn't say they are affectionate or goofy or whatnot. They're actually quite, ummm, self-contained? They are pretty intense, and they live to hunt. When they're not hunting, they prefer to be together and just do their thing. They're not into playing with kids or even snuggling in your bed. They like attention, but don't go nuts trying to get it. But what they want most of all is to get their radio collars on and be turned loose in the woods. lol