Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2012, 11:54 AM
Twin 2

Default Why that breed?

So this was a discussion in one of my Koolie groups lately and it got me thinking:

Why did you pick the breed you have over similar breeds? Why a BC over other herding breeds? Why a Flatcoat over other retrievers? Why a Greyhound over other sighthounds?

What stood out to you in that breed over the other similar yet different breeds?
Old 07-26-2012, 11:57 AM
Top Dog

Well. I met Traveler and then said "Yup, that's the dog I want."

Actually, a couple different things made me decide koolie versus border collie. I've had BC's in the past and there have been a couple quirks that have ultimately turned me off of the breed. Yes, I can find a BC without those quirks but it may be difficult. As shallow as this is, I wanted a breed that would stand out a little bit from the crowd in agility too. The same reason why I got a great dane in the first place! Then after discussing more with people who have owned the breed, it seemed they suited me better in normal day to day life as well as style of handling in agility than the other herders I've had contact with.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-26-2012, 12:04 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Welp. I wanted a dog with a lot of energy and drive (or what I thought was drive back then, I have a very different definition now!) to do dog sports with, but my mom requested a smaller dog since my previous dog was 97 pounds and she thought that was a little much. Everything I read about corgis talked about how they were generally happy and go-along little dogs that were fun fun fun! Had I actually spent time with them I doubt I would have ended up with one! Bad Lauren!

Plus Frodo ended up pretty much being the opposite of what I was looking for, lol.

I won't make that mistake again. Next dog I am spending a ton of time around the breed, around the breeder, actually getting INVOLVED and doing things instead of just reading on the internet.

ETA: Not only was I looking at the wrong breed, I was looking at the wrong ENTIRE GROUP! The only breed I could see myself owning from the herding group in the next 20 years would be an OES, and really that's because they don't tend to have herding breed tendencies.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
Sport Model Pug

I wanted a Border Collie. Izzie just happened out of a compromise lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-26-2012, 12:09 PM
Top Dog

I've always loved sled dogs. Ever since I was tiny and especially the deep sable/agouti ones with brown eyes. Low and behold what do I end up with when searching for a dog of my own?? And literally my only criteria in looking for my own dog was no pit bull because I was so heartbroken over making the decision to distance myself from my ex's dog and that whole fubared situation by getting my own dog. Not only is Lily absolutely the perfect dog for me, but getting her is probably the best decision I have ever made in my life. And I ended up with Scout ultimately because someone wanted a dog like Lily and did not heed my cautions that they aren't for everyone. I personally will never be without at least one, but it takes a special (i.e. nutty) person to click with sled dogs this much. They aren't like show bred Siberians lol. There's a girl on campus who has a gorgeous show bred R&W Sibe.... he is nowhere near as athletic and drivey as either of my girls, nor is he built anywhere near as effeciently. I'm sure he's do nice in the show ring (if not for his uber gay tail), but he is really square and upright and bulkier than my girlies and race bred Siberians such as Seppala line dogs. Its so funny too because she always has him off leash (ugh because its in town and there is no fence! Bad idea with the breed!) and he doesn't stray more than 20-30 feet from her, which to me seems very codependant compared to what my dogs do when we hike.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:19 PM
Taxiderpy

The greyhound rescues didn't think we were good enough for one of "their" breed.

So we had an opportunity to get a borzoi and went with it. I'll never look back. Though, I'd love a smooth coated sight hound some day, maybe a saluki or a smooth staghound, or azawakh.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Top Dog

I loved that there isn't a real show vs. working split and that a lot of Tollers who excel in the show ring can also walk out into the field and excel there also, and vise versa. I liked the drive and energy, the versatility, little quirks that many have (like talking, grinning, the cutest ear crinkling), etc. I love their appearance and size. Especially their size. I did not want a big, over the top retriever. In fact, I didn't originally want any kind of retriever at all. I wanted an Aussie or a Border Collie, but dad (who doesn't know much about dogs) thought herding dogs were biters and said no. Then I was introduced to Tollers and fell in love. They're retrievers, but there is just a different energy and thought process about them when compared to other retrievers I've been around. I wanted a ball fetching, frisbee catching, fun, happy, outgoing, quick learning dog with enough drive and energy to do whatever I wanted to throw at it. I like that most Tollers are more thoughtfully mischevious than other retrievers I've been around, and are slightly more challenging to train but without being super hard headed and stubborn. They just tend to think a lot and try to out smart you. I liked that they seemed to be a nice blend of happy go lucky but also know when it's time to be serious.

Turns out I didn't quite end up with my take anywhere, do anything dog. She's pretty laid back, barky with new people, etc. But most of the base things that originally attracted me to the breed, she exhibits. I do not regret my breed choice at all, and actually, I'm glad I got a spook for my first one, as weird as that sounds. She's taught me a lot. And she's taught me what to watch out for breeder wise, temperament wise, etc. in my search for future Tollers (or dogs period).

And the Dobermans don't count since we didn't actually choose the breed originally. And the only reason we have two more is because their breeder is a friend and somehow we got sucked into two of her puppies, haha. I'm sure mom would have been slightly better suited to a different breed, but I'm glad we inadvertantly got to experience Dobermans. Otherwise we would have missed out on a breed so fantastic in so many ways.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Fennec - Tollwest Sugar Fox
[temporary puppy]
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I've always loved sled dogs. Ever since I was tiny and especially the deep sable/agouti ones with brown eyes. Low and behold what do I end up with when searching for a dog of my own?? And literally my only criteria in looking for my own dog was no pit bull because I was so heartbroken over making the decision to distance myself from my ex's dog and that whole fubared situation by getting my own dog. Not only is Lily absolutely the perfect dog for me, but getting her is probably the best decision I have ever made in my life. And I ended up with Scout ultimately because someone wanted a dog like Lily and did not heed my cautions that they aren't for everyone. I personally will never be without at least one, but it takes a special (i.e. nutty) person to click with sled dogs this much. They aren't like show bred Siberians lol. There's a girl on campus who has a gorgeous show bred R&W Sibe.... he is nowhere near as athletic and drivey as either of my girls, nor is he built anywhere near as effeciently. I'm sure he's do nice in the show ring (if not for his uber gay tail), but he is really square and upright and bulkier than my girlies and race bred Siberians such as Seppala line dogs. Its so funny too because she always has him off leash (ugh because its in town and there is no fence! Bad idea with the breed!) and he doesn't stray more than 20-30 feet from her, which to me seems very codependant compared to what my dogs do when we hike.
Pretty much all of this.

I enjoy true working dogs with the drive to do the work and the independence to work out problems on their own. I thought Sibes were the answer, but they are most definitely not. AKC conformation-bred Sibes are extremely soft compared to what they are supposed to be, and I've come to realize they don't fit their own requirements for temperament or conformation at all.

I enjoy Seppalas(real Seppalas, not the AKC fraud that so many USA breeders were part of), working bred Sibes, some Malamutes, and so on so forth. Racing bred Sibes...meh. They don't float my boat, and most are mutts anyway. Mutts with a purpose, but still mutts, and I don't understand trying to pass off mutts as an already existing breed.

The only thing I DO NOT like about the breed is the anxiety. Off leash is not an option if you truly care about the dog. I have nightmares on a weekly basis about Zander running off and I won't be able to catch him. They just are not companion animals and they often just don't care about their owners.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:57 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I had spend time with both the breeds I own before owning them. I love the mischievous nature and smarts of basenjis. I have always liked shar peis...they are amazing dogs to get to know.

When we were looking we had decided that we wanted dogs in the 20-40 lbs range and that we wanted short coats.

My love for dogs that have a mind of their own also contributed to both breed choices.

When we went to see Watson there was instant connection for me. I also loved her other dogs.

With Menchi it really was a case of love at first sight. Cheryl had showed us the pups and some of the adults...and then Menchi toddled into the room.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2012, 01:06 PM
Top Dog

I loved mixes ever since i can remember. Plus, it works out well when adopting.

Eco-friendly dog products
http://www.ecofriendlydogproducts.com

Lifetime With Dogs
http://www.lifetimewithdogs.com