Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-18-2012, 11:59 AM
Top Dog

Default Need Suggestions for Gambit

Gambit is really ramping up the energy lately! He already does daycare 5-6 days a week, 6:30 am to 1:30 pm (my shifts.) We do the dog park on days off, and we walk several miles almost every evening.

That used to be enough. Now he's doing his bounding deer imitation every time we go out, which always a sign he needs more exercise.

The problem is, there isn't really anywhere I can let him off leash except the dog park, due to traffic. He doesn't understand toys at all, and has no interest in playing with something like a flirt pole or doing retrieves.

I think he would excell in something like agility, but there is no way he could possibly attend classes due to his fear issues. I'm not paying for a class for him to spend the entire hour on the floor shut down. Private classes are way too expensive here.

We do mental exercises and training every single day.

What might be some good options for coyboy? I want him to be happy and tired out.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:12 PM
Kaydee

When we lived in a small town I discovered tennis courts. Almost any park has fenced in tennis courts. If you go during off hours and of course allow for people who actually want to play tennis it's like a giant playpen.

If we don't have time to drive to the reservation we have 3 different courts in walking distance...bring balls or find a stick and it's perfect.
Old 07-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Top Dog

I'd say up the training... tricks, agility foundations at home, heeling, etc.

I find that with my guys the more I exercise the crazier they get. It just increases the capacity of their crazy-tank and it takes that much more to poop them out, lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:27 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post

I find that with my guys the more I exercise the crazier they get. It just increases the capacity of their crazy-tank and it takes that much more to poop them out, lol.

Pretty much this. You're creating a super athlete who needs that much exercise before he can even settle down. Less physical exercise and more mental will help a lot I think.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:07 AM
Top Dog

Unfortunatly, I have no yard and live in a 400sq foot apartment, so I'm limited in what I can do agility wise. Did I mention he can weave toilet plungers, though?

We're working on incorperating a neighbor into what we do, so he can get at least a little social stimulation, as well has higher distraction obedience.

He's the funniest (and most fun) of the coy.

As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:59 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzerotti View Post

This, the more you run a dog the more they want it as a general rule. However, the more you train and challenge their minds the easier they are to live with.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:33 AM
Top Dog

I forgot to mention that he is learning to swim. Slowly. He very much likes leaping in water that is about 8 inches deep, splashing around like a goof and then leaping out, but he hasn't quite gotten brave enough to attempt a full on paddle. Hopefully very soon, though.

Old 07-18-2012, 12:30 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Scooter/bikejor!!!!

Siri picture taken by Linds.

Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 07-18-2012, 02:02 PM
Top Dog

The other thing you could do, if you want to get into agility, is ask if you can bring him and watch a set of classes - no training, just go sit on the side with him and watch/hang out. You could offer to put down money towards a set of classes once he's ready to participate, and I don't think it's an unreasonable request. Providing he's going to behave and not be a huge distraction of course...
Old 07-18-2012, 02:12 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Do you have any kind of yard? If so you could invest in a tunnel, make cheap jumps, make a wobble board, etc to do agility foundations. Weave poles are easy to make too.