Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-02-2012, 06:10 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Leather vs Nylon. Thoughts?

What is your favorite material for doggy goods (collars/ leads/harnesses) and why?

What do you think are the pros and cons? tips for care? I've heard VARYING opinions on leather care (is waterproof, isn't, needs care, doesn't , smells, etc..) and Nylon (can be washed, can't, will always fray, high quality doesn't fray, etc..)

oh and of course pictures and links if you want to give a shot out!

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:14 PM
overdogged

I don't have a particularly strong preference for collars, but I don't tend to like nylon leashes just because of how they feel in my hands. Leather is good. The two leashes I use most for Steve are braided fleece.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-02-2012, 06:16 PM
Top Dog

I honestly don't use either religiously. Just whatever comes up. Both leather and nylon slip over Zander's head, so neither is terribly useful. I use a chain choke and nylon leash for walking and such.

On other dogs, I still like both. Good nylon is durable and so is good leather. Bad leather warps terribly and it's pretty unsightly. Bad nylon just falls apart and it isn't reliable if your dog decides to give a good tug. Both can stain and seriously cause stink if they are constantly on.

So, meh. Just sort of down the middle for me.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

Leather for leashes. Nylon hurts my hands. I like leather leashes, they don't seem to get as dingy as nylon ones.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 07-02-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

My favorite leash is biothane or I really like leather was well. I do have couple nylon leashes that have velvet on them and those are nice as well.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

Nylon, because that's how you get pretty colors and patterns and ribbon and such! I tried really hard to find leather that I like, and I just...don't.
Old 07-02-2012, 07:21 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I LOVE leather leashes. The only leash I'll use for my dogs are leather. It is killing me that the three amigos don't have leather leashes, but dropping $70 on leather leads when they already have nylon leashes isn't really in my budget. lol

As for collars, I don't mind nylon at all. Leather, IMO, tends to get chewed (well...if you have it on a Lab puppy...) and if the dogs swim and such with the collars on they can get icky. I think its easier to find a quality collar at a cheaper price if you go the nylon route versus the leather route. That being said, I would kill for a pink leather double row spike collar for Chloe. ^^

Old 07-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Definitely not the way this thread was going when I read the title.

Nylon has always lasted longer (read: 10+ years) here

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Top Dog

I also have to thumbs up Braided fleece leashes, my favorite leash is one I made of braided fleece (sorry I don't have any pictures of it right now). I can get anyone instruction if they want? It isn't that hard.

Collars, overall I prefer the nylon ones my guys have now by Lupine, the color does not bleed off into their fur, unlike Jinjo's last cheap one from Walmart after he broke his Old Navy one years ago, and they are very hard to fray, plus the company will replace them as many times as they brake even if chewed, although none of the dogs in my house right now chew. Both are Martingales also, as what broke on Jinjo's Old Navy one was the plastic buckle, it lasted about 4-5 years? I'm not a huge fan of plastic buckles.

Harness, I also like nylon, it's just easier to work with. I also recently bought a head collar for Enda, to hopefully maybe stop some of her initial "get out of the van jumping spinning crazy games", it's made of nylon too and I don't know as I would want to go with something as heavy as leather.

Personally, for overall DO NOT LIKE material goes, I HATE vinyl! Vinyl contains a heavily toxic compound to make it softer called phthalates, which has been linked to everything from birth defects to brain damage. Also for a dog collar/leash/harness it's not very long lasting. Just, DON'T!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Leather! I love my leather leashes!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.